• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What gets you fired up for 1rm pb attempts?

All i was saying was to be mindful of when you psych up based on the training effect youre trying to get. Progressive overload is great darkoz but even with that youre manipulating stress by backpeddling in weight when you begin to stall giving yourself a few low stress weeks

Agreed. If you make the lift or you dont thats already predetermined by your training in the last x months not the 10 seconds before the lift.... Kfgs opinion, stfd.
but mental state plays a massive part in max attempts, if you approach it wrong its will kick your ass. it will require 100% focus, i find that with the right amount of psych up it can make the weight feel like nothing.

then experience plays a part, you cant a green lifter jump under the bar kicking and screaming, they will fuck up because they dont think.
but experienced lifters can run in and fuck shit up because they know what to do, in comp you always fall back on old habits, and if they are good habits, it all works out

All i was saying was to be mindful of when you psych up based on the training effect youre trying to get. Progressive overload is great darkoz but even with that youre manipulating stress by backpeddling in weight when you begin to stall giving yourself a few low stress weeks

Progressive overload is not just about adding more weight Oni, the only times I reduce the weight is when I increase the rep range also, so you're still overloading the muscle.
If I feel that I need a break then I simply take a week or so off from lifting.

but mental state plays a massive part in max attempts, if you approach it wrong its will kick your ass. it will require 100% focus, i find that with the right amount of psych up it can make the weight feel like nothing.
the mind tends to quit before the body.

i got like half way though that and my mind went to mush, i couldnt follow what your saying, i want to know what your talking about, just you aint saying it write...

how does the psych up manipulate stress by backpedaling in weight? dafuq?

i got like half way though that and my mind went to mush, i couldnt follow what your saying, i want to know what your talking about, just you aint saying it write...

how does the psych up manipulate stress by backpedaling in weight? dafuq?

Psyching up for a set will increase the stress response from that set and will take longer to recover from. Be mindful of this when you do your programming as you don't want to be increasing stress when you're supposed to be recovering from it

Psyching up for a set will increase the stress response from that set and will take longer to recover from. Be mindful of this when you do your programming as you don't want to be increasing stress when you're supposed to be recovering from it
and whats the other side of the story where being in a better state of mind will make the set less taxing because you are fully alert?

ever stepped under a bar when your fired up and you smash it out, as opposed to getting under the bar in a shit state of mind and you fuck it up because you cant hit any of your reps right?

then experience plays a part, you cant a green lifter jump under the bar kicking and screaming, they will fuck up because they dont think.
but experienced lifters can run in and fuck shit up because they know what to do, in comp you always fall back on old habits, and if they are good habits, it all works out

Im not saying everyone should do what l do it's just l dont get any added benefit from screaming / shouting etc. Does that mean im not as in the zone as you? No, im still 100% focussed on trying to lift the weight but l can just get 'in the zone' by other means....

The whole psyching up increasing stress response applies to elite level lifters not to us shit kickers. Worry about it when you pushing out elite totals.

and whats the other side of the story where being in a better state of mind will make the set less taxing because you are fully alert?

ever stepped under a bar when your fired up and you smash it out, as opposed to getting under the bar in a shit state of mind and you fuck it up because you cant hit any of your reps right?

Absolutely, not saying you shouldn't treat the set with the respect it deserves. When you get psyched up you will know it because you feel high and you get the euphoric rush of dopamine + adrenaline. Concentrating on a set and being mentally prepared would be significantly less stressful. You can go too far the other way and not treat the set with respect, absolutely. I'm normally pretty relaxed when I lift though

oni what was your total around christmas time 2011?

Edit - Its late here and I cant sleep so I went through your log and answered the question.

December last year you were:
BW 66kg
Squat 95 5rm (so lets call it 110kg max)
Bench you worked up to a max of 70kg
Doing what you called "62.5% reps" at 110kg, so lets call it 190kg max.

December this year you're
BW 67kg (+1)
Squat 150kg but you've added wraps, lets say they add 10kg and call your raw squat 140? (+30)
Bench max at 75kg (+5)
and Deadlift at 190kg according to your sig (+0)

So you've added 35kg to your PL total in 12 months. Pretty awesome man.

Last edited:

Edit - Its late here and I cant sleep so I went through your log and answered the question.

BW 66kg

BW 67kg (+1)
Squat 150kg but you've added wraps, lets say they add 10kg and call your raw squat 140? (+30)
Bench max at 75kg (+5)

must be on da juice

and he is so informed about training, it really shows in his results

"but the internet says your psych up will kill your squat"

BW 66kg

BW 67kg (+1)
Bench max at 75kg (+5)

Lol nice work wingman you did what I couldn't be fucked doing.

The squat was ugly as shit to and high, it wouldn't have passed so I'd argue his total only went up +20-25kg. Plenty of posters here easily added that to their bench alone.

All the bullshit pseudo-science sure is paying off.

Lol nice work wingman you did what I couldn't be fucked doing.

The squat was ugly as shit to and high, it wouldn't have passed so I'd argue his total only went up +20-25kg. Plenty of posters here easily added that to their bench alone.

All the bullshit pseudo-science sure is paying off.

Really it's not even pseudo science, its just stuff that concerns blokes totaling in the range of 800kg+. Worry about that when you are elite but for now the biggest concern for the rest of us is eat enough, sleep enough and add weight to the bar.