• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
S THIRTY LESSONS

1. I see so many people who lift weights that worry they will lose a half inch from their arm girth if they take a week or two off training, when if they are truthful with themselves, they would actually get bigger.

2. If you?re a true hard gainer, one of the best ways to tell if you?re overtraining is hunger for food. If you?re not gaining, cut back on your training until you see your appetite increase ? I mean to the point where you just can?t get enough food; then you?ll gain.

3. One-time-a-week training is all many hard gainers can do ? and the only three work sets of three compound movements, one leg and two upper body.

4. If you?re training with the right intensity, and you take enough days off between workouts, you?ll gain on some movements every time you train, and for a long time.

5. There?s only one way to tell you are gaining ? you must get stronger.

6. If you want the biggest muscles you can get, forget all cardio work!

7. One hundred percent intensity is the only way to correctly gauge how hard to work.

8. When your strength gains stop, always reduce the amount of work you?re doing, and take more rest days between workouts.

9. Proper strength training is of more value than any other so-called exercise.

10. The pump you get means nothing except that you have worked a muscle. You can pump up in a swimming pool.

11. Lifting in an explosive way is not as effective as moving a weight with absolute control ? for building power, or strength or whatever you want to call it.

12. It takes lots of desire ? or whatever you want to call it ? to train every rep slowly.

13. I?ve trained powerlifters for over twenty-five years, and as a group they make the best gains. What?s the reason for this? They have to get stronger, or else forget about the sport. And by focusing on getting stronger, they gain.

14. High intensity strength training is the most effective way to condition the cardiovascular system.

15. With compound movements you can get the most muscle worked with the least amount of energy used ? and this is what you want.

16. A muscle does not have to be worked directly in order to receive adequate stimulation.

17. The whole process of education used to be that man would do what was wrong if left to his own doing. In other words, you?ll not by nature do what is right unless educated to do so. To this day I wish, in my youth, I?d had the understanding I now have ? that jerking and yanking on weights will ruin your joints, as will years of distance running. Poor exercise form is very harmful.

18. The most important factor in muscular growth is recovery. No matter how intensively you train, you must recover adequately. And almost no one allows enough time to recover.

19. The best way to learn to squat, and the only way for some people, is to get an honest person to sit on the floor about 15 feet out to your side while you squat. By sitting on the floor, your helper?s eyes are at the right level. Then squat as slowly as you can, which will be about 10-12 seconds for the descent. When you?re below parallel, the person watching will say ?up!? At that time turn around and go up slowly, reaching lockout in around 2-3 seconds. The turnaround is slow, so the squat will take you about 15 seconds per rep. Most men only need about 3-5 reps of this type of squatting.

20. If you have a good leg press, or a Tru-Squat, you can make gains equal to those with a barbell squat. The only thing you?ll need to add to this is a box deadlift done with perfect style ? two sets a month will do the job.

21. In many if not most men, the overhead press will build more usable strength by far than will the bench press.

22. ?A wise man is strong, yes; a man of knowledge increases strength?
Proverbs 25:5

?Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid?
Proverbs 12:1

?The glory of young men is their strength, and the spender of old men is their grey head?
Proverbs 20:29

23. Using barrels. rocks, etc.., to train is a step back in strength training, not froward. it's like trying to feed the world in the twenty first century by using a horse and plow.

24. The hardest thing I have to do in the gym-with those who listen-is to get them to train less. Some hard gainers can't train productively over once per week, some can't train productively more than six times a month, and none can train productively over twice per week.

25. Most people in strength training have never heard of "indirect effect".

26. If you don't believe in it, it won't work because you won't work.

27. You can build all the cardiovascular conditioning you need without ever running, riding a bike, or swimming.

28. The most important factor in nutrition for building strength is having enough to eat.

29. No hardgainer ever bench pressed 400 pounds, and dare I say even 350. A real hard gainer should be overjoyed with anything over a 250 pound bench press.

30. Forget about explosive training making you fast. It's a myth.

You agree with all them Gooey? Or just the majority?
Seems a reasonable guide for newbs.

23. I think Odd object lifting can be beneficial to a lifter, but also understand that unless you can add weight progressively to the device whether that be a dumbbell, barbell or machine it is not a good tool over the long haul.

in terms of your comments about “newbs”

i will disagree, we always think the neophyte must reds the rules to gain.
the reality is that all beginners will gain an amazing amount of muscle extremely quick and blame the program with the progress stalls.

the lessons we learn are after all that shit.
in that it’s the 30 lessons need to be adhered to for long term improvements and minimal injuries.

i think these days there is an increasing amount of blokes injuring themselves and using the excuse that powerlifting is a tough sport.

Avoiding injury long term is not even close to being on a newbs agenda, for them it’s a very short list, 1 line, size.
Its only of priority and importance to guys who have done this a long time and wish that they made it a one of their priorities a lot earlier.
Its just the way it goes.

23. I think Odd object lifting can be beneficial to a lifter, but also understand that unless you can add weight progressively to the device whether that be a dumbbell, barbell or machine it is not a good tool over the long haul.

in terms of your comments about “newbs”

i will disagree, we always think the neophyte must reds the rules to gain.
the reality is that all beginners will gain an amazing amount of muscle extremely quick and blame the program with the progress stalls.

the lessons we learn are after all that shit.
in that it’s the 30 lessons need to be adhered to for long term improvements and minimal injuries.

i think these days there is an increasing amount of blokes injuring themselves and using the excuse that powerlifting is a tough sport.

Thank you.

Something I couldn't understand was various PLs training a Lift or body part everyday.
You've trained longer than myself or Shrek, but I suspect we've done more volume but are also suffering more degeneration of our joints etc.
Volume isn't always wise.

Avoiding injury long term is not even close to being on a newbs agenda, for them it’s a very short list, 1 line, size.
Its only of priority and importance to guys who have done this a long time and wish that they made it a one of their priorities a lot earlier.
Its just the way it goes.

i wish i was smaller and lighter,not everyone lifts to intimidate people or impress chix.

Thank you.

Something I couldn't understand was various PLs training a Lift or body part everyday.
You've trained longer than myself or Shrek, but I suspect we've done more volume but are also suffering more degeneration of our joints etc.
Volume isn't always wise.

if you auto regulate and deload wisely you can hit a bodypart multiple times a week for a few weeks in a row. However it gets harder to do once the weight gets heavier. Theres guys in powerlifting that could do outrageous amounts of volume but arent in the sport anymore due to burn out or injury.

Who wrote that @Goosey?

Dick Conner is one of the world’s most experienced powerlifting coaches. He trained his bodybuilders (natural) using very similar methods to those of his powerlifters. Owning and (operating from) the ‘The Pit’, a famous no-thrills gym in Evansville, Indiana for over 50 years, his teams won 19 state and 12 national meets. During most of these 50 years of experience, he had most of his trainees on a three times a week schedule. In 2016, he stated that he wished he had used mainly a twice a week schedule, as he has done for the last 20 years - he believes he would have gotten even better results. According to Dick, the most important movements are as follows (in order of importance):

Deadlift
Squat
Chin
Overhead press
Dip
Row
Shrug
Bench press

His routine of choice would have been the following - all for one set each, plus 1 set on the MedX lower back machine every two weeks.

Monday

Bench
Row
Overhead press
Pulldown
Squat

Friday

Deadlift
Bench (shoulder width grip)
Chin
Overhead press
Leg press/Hip belt squat

Number 16 is the only one I have issue with

I guess it all comes down to your interpretation of “adequate” and why we train.
If a powerlifter is using the multi joint exercises like the ones listed, then the muscles not doing the direct work and will receive a certain amount of stimulation.
And powerlifters are only really concerned about the muscles directly involved in the exercises used for contests.

But for me it’s really important to exercise a particular - well all muscle so it’s not only strong in the mid range of resistance but equally strong in the fully contracted and fully extended position.

Most powerlifters believe that they do not need nor have the time to devote to that, whilst the rest don’t even think that’s important, or possible.

At the end of the day I’m past arguing about that and what exercises are the best and what is useless.