• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Angle of foot for squatting?

But what if you have a shitty ankle with shitty mobility? I cant squat where I stand due to right ankle (wish I could though!!)

Tim.

i guess in your case you need to work around it and find out why you have shitty ankle mobility

i guess in your case you need to work around it and find out why you have shitty ankle mobility

I am the same. Terrible ankle flexibility.

Mobility exercises for the long term approach. Results are very slow I find.

Squats shoes with a decent size heel in the short term.

Adductor flexibility is easier to fix than ankle
Move stance out over time
Most of the world record squats were done with a wide to medium-wide stance. If you wish to move weight, this is the way

Yeah, I also think improving ankle flex in some is just impossible, these people are better off, just squatting to a depth that is just short of the heel lifting off the floor.

So long as the knee follows the foot in a line, I'm ok. I prefer wide stance, it's by far the most comfortable for me. I have trouble getting 'into the hole' without back flex otherwise

But what if you have a shitty ankle with shitty mobility? I cant squat where I stand due to right ankle (wish I could though!!)

Tim.

My left ankle has been left with a shortened soleus post a running injury years ago. All the mobility work in the world hasn't made it normal again.
Would require surgery.

So I now wear squat shoes. Although I find I can get comfortably below parallel without them these days due to a very slightly wider stance.

Bingo. I do plenty of self work. :)
Right ankle hasnt seen an improvement in two years. So I squat wider and with oly shoes.

Tim.

Read something recently by a Cross-Fit bloke.

He writes you lose hip torque during squats if you let your toes turn out.

Same with fingers during pushups. Keep them facing straight.

Thoughts on this, anyone read this also ?

I for one would like to know how this tool used what tool to measure hip torque.

He may or may not be right. It is however, completely fucking irrelevant because 99% of people don't have, will never have and will never need the flexibility to squat like this. Pretty much no one squats like this, even Kelly.

Its part of his mobility 365 series i believe. i watched a couple of the videos.

personally it has been useful to implement in my squat training. and i don't believe it is completely irrelevant but he was talking about mechanics for a full squat not a powerlifting (1-3inches below parallel) squat.

So long as the knee follows the foot in a line, I'm ok. I prefer wide stance, it's by far the most comfortable for me. I have trouble getting 'into the hole' without back flex otherwise

and the general gist was that toes out was generally compensation for lack of mobility in the ankles and hips. Maybe why you have trouble with lumbar without the wide stance?

Though in the end, It is all personal preference.

Kelly Starret?

He's great at rehab and fixing unhealthy movement patterns.

You can pretty much safely ignore anything he says will increase performance.

Would fixing unhealthy movement patterns not in turn, and over time, increase performance?

Perhaps more than faulty patterns repeated and loaded? and without the increased risk of injury?

What about this?

A fairly narrow stance will build up the strength in the hip and thighs.
It's got nothing to do with the angle of your feet.

You compete in power lifting?
Use a wider stance when you do only.

Bingo. I do plenty of self work. :)
Right ankle hasnt seen an improvement in two years. So I squat wider and with oly shoes.

Tim.

Do u do them ones one you squat down and put a bb with about 50-60kg on your knees, stay upright and you should feel it in the ankles, it's a good ankle mobility drill, has helped me

I've watched this exact video, and I remember his claims from it. He claimed that a more inwardly turned stance would directly lead to a bigger squat.

That's what I mean when I say his advice on increasing performance.

What about this?

A fairly narrow stance will build up the strength in the hip and thighs.
It's got nothing to do with the angle of your feet.

You compete in power lifting?
Use a wider stance when you do only.

Wider stance should load up the hips more than narrow stance though. Definitely more quad work with narrow stance though. Specificity principal though. I personally don't see how anyone can squat crazy wide all the time anyway as it beats up the hips a lot.

I think what you are getting at is used by many powerlifters these days though. Lots of people advocating "olympic" squatting and front squats for more quad dominance.

Adductor flexibility is easier to fix than ankle
Move stance out over time
Most of the world record squats were done with a wide to medium-wide stance. If you wish to move weight, this is the way

The width thing is more related to how far the levers are though. And I think that then goes hand in hand with the toes out as you are going to have to have some SERIOUS mobility if you want to squat with toes close to a mono and facing forward!

Wider stance should load up the hips more than narrow stance though. Definitely more quad work with narrow stance though. Specificity principal though. I personally don't see how anyone can squat crazy wide all the time anyway as it beats up the hips a lot.

I think what you are getting at is used by many powerlifters these days though. Lots of people advocating "olympic" squatting and front squats for more quad dominance.

The width thing is more related to how far the levers are though. And I think that then goes hand in hand with the toes out as you are going to have to have some SERIOUS mobility if you want to squat with toes close to a mono and facing forward!

A wide stance enables one to decrease the angle at the hip in the squat position.
Especially useful for those not built to squat. (long legged/short torso)

I think most people play around with foot position and width, usually going wider, but over time end up going back to the original (around shoulder width)

[MENTION=7082]jzpowahz[/MENTION] you said though 5 times in one post.. take it eaze broseph

elitefts_2_big11-300x281.jpg

I've seen far more powerlifters who squat with a stance about shoulder width, that is to say, about this wide:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e66HhuHJIwI[/YOUTUBE]

(skip to 0:40)

Than I have squatting that wide. Most people don't have the flexibility to squat that wide and actually hit depth, though there are one or two at my current gym (PTC Perth) that can.

"About shoulder width" is where most people have their stance, or should have their stance, as narrower than that requires too much flexibility in the ankles and knees, and wider than that requires too much flexibility in the hips.