• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Angle of foot for squatting?

These two people have different proportions
Guy with a long torso and shorter femurs will not need to squat as wide
It's down to personal preferences and individual strengths and leverages more than ANYTHING else

Tony Fratto
tonyfratto.jpg

Jill Mills
jillmills.jpg

Stan Efferding
efferding+squat.JPG

Scott Weech
scotweech.jpg

Sam Bryd
sam+byrd.jpg

Dan Dumitrache
dan+dumitrache.jpg

Don Reinhoudt
Don+Reinhoudt.jpg

Jamie Lewis
jamielewis.jpg

Jenny Thompson
Jennifer+Thompson.JPG

Konstantin Pozdeev
pozdeev.jpg

Suzie Hartwig-Gary
Suzie+Hartwig-Gary.JPG

Idalberto Aranda
13473.jpg

The extremely wide squatting tends to favour the equipped lifters lifting in Feds with non existent depth judging.

I prefer wide just for the greatly reduced tension/stress in my knees. I'm a lot weaker wider but the gap is slowly closing (mind you I am a beginner/weak at squats).

I squat raw (no wraps) at about 1.5 times shoulder width. I loved out to there from just outside shoulder width gradually because I was stronger wider. I've tried wider stances than this but I lose too much stability and can't get convincing IPF depth.

I have found that I engage my glutes more when my feet are parallel and knees out, because I need to be more deliberate about it to make my knees go out. I have also found that doing this over the last several months has royally fked up my ankles, and hasn't resulted in me lifting any more than I expect I would have otherwise. So the benefits haven't been worth the cost. Super-shockingly, now the only way I can squat comfortably is with my feet in line with my knees. I don't know how anyone could have ever anticipated this.

I just make sure my stance is wide enough to get my arse between my ankles. Find that the more I turn my feet out the more it engages my hammies, so I probably have about a 20° angle.
I feel like more angle would help me squat with a more upright body, but I wouldn't get as deep... not sure what is of more benefit, but I go with depth.

"I just make sure my stance is wide enough to get my arse between my ankles'

That's an important cue

if you look at the structure of the hip, your torso is in a sense slung between the thighs.

At the point where the hip is lower than the knee joint the hamstrings are doing nothing except maintaining joint integrity, what's getting you out of the hole is buttocks, quads, add and abductors and friends..

The arse is doing the bulk of the work here.

I love SLDL. twice a week for me!

And yes my glutes get smashed on squat day. Damn!

Tim.