• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Shrek

Fucked up Kunce
032f385ac304532cbf7c9afe78e22bc1.jpg

BACK TO THE FUTURE

So in response to the question, what is his overview of modern-day bodybuilding, Arnold Schwarzenegger replied, “I am somewhat disappointed in the direction that bodybuilding is now going. Even for the big contests like the Arnold Classic and the Mr. Olympia, people are walking away disappointed. It’s all a matter of presentation. Like a painting, it can be presented in a dim light or a bright one. We have some great physiques, and then you see other guys running around and you say, ‘Wait a minute, they have 24-inch necks and distended bellies, walk with their hands straight out to the side, and their legs are so big they can’t really walk properly.’ The whole drug issue is a major problem. We know we can bust everyone out there, but no one wants to— we just look away.”

http://musculardevelopment.com/news...n-to-re-shape-bodybuilding.html#.VszYiObdmlt/

are you serious? pretty obvious

do you think he got role in Conan for his fine acting skills, or because he was a better choice amongst drugged up physiques at a time when public knew little of drugs?

Umm, I will go for 2nd option.

'
yep, no wonder he was a successful politician, full of shit.

Yeah this.

I started Bodybuilding in the late 80s and Arnold was my Hero. But as time passes and wisdom creeps on me I realize that Arnold was not the "great human being" that Joe Weider and his various Bodybuilding magazines and Enterprises wanted us to believe he was.

me the same, stole his book from city in 1978 and went straight to findlays that day before track and field athletes sucked me in to do that sport.

Arnold is a smart guy, but his anti-drugs crusade is a bit over top considering his physique was also very drug assisted.

Maybe they should drug test the movies as well; i am sure are few are on to looked more jacked.

Long live Lee Haney :D

I doubt his "Christianity" as he professes to posses but fuck he was a freak!

82668335501f.jpg

Arnold on a mission to reshape Bodybuilding " The whole drug issue is a major problem. We know we can bust everyone out there, but no one wants to— we just look away.”
Arnold is in no need of my defense, however we need to look at the above comment within the context of what it is that Arnold is really about. And what the man is really about is big business. That means one needs to sing the song that the public is willing to hear and is capable of understanding. I've always said that there are two type of news, the real news, and the other, made specifically for public consumption.

I'm sure Arnold can sit with one of us (experienced athletes) and tell us hey, I don't really mind steroids; steroids the way it used to be, not the way it is now. Today there are a million and one type of drugs at the disposal of a bodybuilder; drugs that are playing havoc with his system and creating that ugly distended belly etc. Perhaps Arnold would like to put a limit on what type of anabolic steroids a bodybuilder can use, however that would be an impossible task to a) sell that message to the public, and b) convince the modern bodybuilder to adapt to it. It's a lose lose battle, that leaves the man no other option but to say what he does and sound like the biggest hypocrite for doing so.

Last edited:
The physiques of today reflect the judging criteria. If anyone is to blame, it's the judges.

Hasn't this already been addressed by introducing the new "classic" division?

The physiques of today reflect the judging criteria. If anyone is to blame, it's the judges.

Pfft classic division.
That doesn't get you a Sandow.

are you serious? pretty obvious

do you think he got role in Conan for his fine acting skills, or because he was a better choice amongst drugged up physiques at a time when public knew little of drugs?

Umm, I will go for 2nd option.
^ what?
Yeah I'm serious spart, I'm not sure what you're on about but it has nothing to do with the thread subject matter
I think his views on today's professional bodybuilding are spot on

How about the fan, the one who wants to see bulging muscles with not a thought of the consequences of come what may to the health of the bodybuilder...., one (I might add), who is more than willing to accommodate such irresponsible demand? Craziness is to be found on both sides of the fence; the fan and his obliging bodybuilder. The judges? Well, I remember back in the 1980 Mr. Olympia when business was put ahead of honesty. Today I can not blame the judges for one very simple (yet extremely powerful) reason; the social media, THE bomb of the people! We can all sound our horns of displeasure whenever anyone comes ripped to shreds with paper thin dry skin...., the most dangerous look from a health point of view in my opinion.

Remember the 1983 Mr. Olympia when the lion of Lebanon Samir Bannout won? Most everyone was cheering for the Fox, a la Bertil, for his awesomely built physique, that was way ahead of its time, (again) in my opinion. Even I was cheering for the man, yet the Christmas tree defined back of Samir won the night! These are small, yet significant turning points in our sport of bodybuilding. We've come a long way since then, but like I said, we now have the social media bomb at our finger tips..., it's really up to us to use it or let it go by the way side. Ausbb as an Australia bodybuilding site can take the initiative and vote on the subject. As for me, my vote is for big muscles that are defined by a low (not ultra low fat percentages), which ought to be penalised in the future. In other words, bring back the physique of Frank Zane, Mike Mentzer, Bertil fox (big yet not sick looking).....

Last edited:
what, a debate about an acceptable amount of drug use to get an acceptable type of physique. Now that is crazy.

if you don't have drug testing, then who is say what is acceptable and desirable. After all, bb is a very subjective art form, like any other.

I like physiques of old days, but then I do prefer physiques of sports people more than bb's.

Without dug testing, with all of its more recent versions to use, fans and sport will evolve in its own (perhaps mad) way.

I thought the WFF divisions based on height and weight classes were a throwback more to "traditional" physiques of body building from "back in the day", and then there are the opens which is basic free for all and is what we have now......

Before the term bodybuilding it was called; physical culture.

whereby there was a pursuit for health and strength which meant good eating and shows of strength
some where a tad overweight and some had outstanding physiques

How about the fan, the one who wants to see bulging muscles with not a thought of the consequences of come what may to the health of the bodybuilder...., one (I might add), who is more than willing to accommodate such irresponsible demand? Craziness is to be found on both sides of the fence; the fan and his obliging bodybuilder. The judges? Well, I remember back in the 1980 Mr. Olympia when business was put ahead of honesty. Today I can not blame the judges for one very simple (yet extremely powerful) reason; the social media, THE bomb of the people! We can all sound our horns of displeasure whenever anyone comes ripped to shreds with paper thin dry skin...., the most dangerous look from a health point of view in my opinion.

Remember the 1983 Mr. Olympia when the lion of Lebanon Samir Bannout won? Most everyone was cheering for the Fox, a la Bertil, for his awesomely built physique, that was way ahead of its time, (again) in my opinion. Even I was cheering for the man, yet the Christmas tree defined back of Samir won the night! These are small, yet significant turning points in our sport of bodybuilding. We've come a long way since then, but like I said, we now have the social media bomb at our finger tips..., it's really up to us to use it or let it go by the way side. Ausbb as an Australia bodybuilding site can take the initiative and vote on the subject. As for me, my vote is for big muscles that are defined by a low (not ultra low fat percentages), which ought to be penalised in the future. In other words, bring back the physique of Frank Zane, Mike Mentzer, Bertil fox (big yet not sick looking).....

Good point. It's a bit of a catch 22 situation. The judges reward the more extreme physiques, and the fans accept that as the norm. Now the fans demand the most extreme examples.

Also a good point about Arnold being trapped by the steroid culture. He can't just come out and be honest about the amount and what type of steroids people should and shouldn't be on. He has to play dumb seeing the entire industry is built on this *wink wink nudge nudge* lie that everyone's pretending to be natural. People claim natural now simply because they've never failed a drug test. Even though they compete in a an untested federation.

It has nothing to do with what the fans demand or what the judges reward. Weider along with others has dictated what gets promoted in the media and people respond to that. The judges make their decisions based on this. It has been mainly driven by commercial interests. Sponsors also want to have the biggest competitors attached to their brand because hey - it can do the same for you. What we have seen is a natural evolution of the sport, bigger better, stronger. Now that public opinion is changing you are seeing a response to that in the form of the classic division. The sport/Weider will do what it has to to stay as relevant as possible and be as profitable as possible.

Last edited:
If Arnold were competing today, he'd be doing whatever it takes to win. That would include taking as much Slin, GH and whatever else is needed to win.

Arnold did have a 'whatever it takes' attitude to all his achievements.