• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I normally go for benches and find it very tough but as i am new for bench press i think i will slowly come up to this difficulties and also my trainer is also very helpful and gives me a lot of positive quotes while doing this.

I have just started this routine. Quite new to lifting, have dabbled a bit over the years but regular injuries have prevented me from sticking to it.

Was lifting for 2 months before Christmas on a bit of a 3x5 based programme. Unfortunately the 2 week break while away over christmas, plus the bad diet and drinking has had quite a negative effect. I couldn't hit all my expected starting weights.
Managed to do the following:
Squat 3x10x92 -fairly hard
Bench 8x62, 5x62, 2x62 -too hard
Deadlift 3x8x108 -not too bad
OHP 3x8x33 -struggled
Bent Row 3x8x33 -easy
BB Curl 3x8x27 -not too bad, but probably cheated a little.. trying not to use momentum or bounce though.

Anyway, I was absolutely shattered at the end of this. Have never sweated so much in my life. It might take me a couple of weeks to get used to the different volume, but I'm feeling great today and looking forward to getting stuck in again tomorrow.

Good luck Slingy, as someone who did this last year I would really encourage you to get your form checked on the lifts by a professional if possible. Should really help avoid injury and ensure you maximise progression.

Wish I had done this.

This is so much harder than any other routines I've done.
Doing 5x5 or 3x5 with as much weight as I can handle just doesn't affect me like this routine does..

I've really struggled to finish my first two workouts so far.. Felt incredibly sick from the first one. Had to keep going outside between sets to get fresh air. Second one got an absolute killer of an exertion headache from the squats.

It's the first time I've not felt like I need to stop because the weight is too heavy but because I'm just shattered. Effort>Weight

This is so much harder than any other routines I've done.
Doing 5x5 or 3x5 with as much weight as I can handle just doesn't affect me like this routine does..

I've really struggled to finish my first two workouts so far.. Felt incredibly sick from the first one. Had to keep going outside between sets to get fresh air. Second one got an absolute killer of an exertion headache from the squats.

It's the first time I've not felt like I need to stop because the weight is too heavy but because I'm just shattered. Effort>Weight

Keep going mate, it'll only get better!

You getting sufficient rest between sets?

Keep going mate, it'll only get better!

You getting sufficient rest between sets?

Well I kinda enjoy the pain. Though the headache wasn't nice.. I'm pretty sure it's a general sort of fitness thing, related to blood circulation rather than CNS fatigue.

Last night I may not have had enough rest because my training partner was in a bit of a hurry.. He was doing two sets to my one, but he's got a crappy routine; pretty much all pressing and curling.

I really wish I could hit the weights again today, but it's probably not a good idea.

Well I kinda enjoy the pain. Though the headache wasn't nice.. I'm pretty sure it's a general sort of fitness thing, related to blood circulation rather than CNS fatigue.

Last night I may not have had enough rest because my training partner was in a bit of a hurry.. He was doing two sets to my one, but he's got a crappy routine; pretty much all pressing and curling.

I really wish I could hit the weights again today, but it's probably not a good idea.

rest = growth, don't be to hasty to get back into the gym.

rest = growth, don't be to hasty to get back into the gym.

Yeah, I understand. I'm just really enjoying it though!

Next workout is planned for Sunday. I've been terrible in the past at working out on the weekend, so this will be a good test of my commitment. The fact that I'm trying to drink less booze should help.

Can't work out on Fridays or Saturday mornings because I play high level lawn bowls (yeah, laugh it up) on Saturday afternoons. Need a stable balanced stance, so having tired legs or DOMS from squats is no good.

Did this program myself a while back, i increased the weight a lot quickly and as such my form dropped badly.

Started doing it again this week though for the 90 day challenge and dropped a lot of weight to get the form just right

Did this program myself a while back, i increased the weight a lot quickly and as such my form dropped badly.

Started doing it again this week though for the 90 day challenge and dropped a lot of weight to get the form just right

Happens all the time, they think their getting stronger, but it's their form that is dropping.

Happens all the time, they think their getting stronger, but it's their form that is dropping.

Personally I'm just not used to doing more than 5 reps on squats or deadlifts except for warmups or doing tabata thrusters with comparatively light weight.

I will not increase weight on anything I can't get the specified reps and sets out with good form. I'm particularly careful with form for squats and deadlifts. The others don't matter to me so much as long as it's not something that I feel is going to cause an injury. As an example, my barbell curls get pretty shabby in the last three reps of each set, it's not going to end in injury and I'll leave the weight as-is until I can get the reps without any swinging, bouncing, or leaning back.

So it took three workouts for me to get used to the workload of this workout and not feel like I was going to die. I've adapted the order in which I perform the exercises.

Squat
Bench
Deadlift
OHP
Row
Curl

Suits me best in terms of recovery between exercises.
Also need to take a decent break between sets for Squat, Bench and Deads.. Remembering that I'm doing this as more of powerlifting routine than body building.
I've got a mate who is going to be starting on this routine sometime this week. He's coming from an even more novice level than me, so it will be interesting to see how he progresses.. I have a feeling he's not keen to put in the required effort and won't stick with it.
Sometimes you just have to trust the routine, it can be tempting to throw in 6 different types of curls and dips and skullcrushers and other stuff.

@slingy
You might want to do deadlifts later on in the workout as when the weights start to get heavier you are still gonna be pretty rooted from the squats

So it took three workouts for me to get used to the workload of this workout and not feel like I was going to die. I've adapted the order in which I perform the exercises.

Squat
Bench
Deadlift
OHP
Row
Curl

Suits me best in terms of recovery between exercises.
Also need to take a decent break between sets for Squat, Bench and Deads.. Remembering that I'm doing this as more of powerlifting routine than body building.

You might want to put deadlifts after the rows as when the weights start to get heavy you are still going to be pretty rooted from the squats even after the bench

I think I've said this before, I like this, but my only change would be to replace the dead's with SLDL's

Down the track, you can add dead's on its own and get after this exercise on a separate day.

Yeah, deadlifts last or just before the curls could be good. Think I might need to put a spew bucket in the garage/gym.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

@slingy
You might want to do deadlifts later on in the workout as when the weights start to get heavier you are still gonna be pretty rooted from the squats

I prefer deadlifting before squatting, like my lower back fresh and recovered before deadlifting heavy weights.

I like to do the following in this order:

SLDL's
Bent Rows
Bench press
Squats
OHPs
Curls

Don't think it makes any difference though

I think I've said this before, I like this, but my only change would be to replace the dead's with SLDL's

Down the track, you can add dead's on its own and get after this exercise on a separate day.

I reckon that's good advice, but I'll to stick with what I'm doing for now. Might change to SLDL once I hit a wall with the normal deads.