• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Axx

So,

seems I've buggered the elbow/tricep from low bar squats, think i was gripping the bar too hard lol.

I've read as much of the previous posts as I can, and am now taking a week or 2 off, with lots of foam rolling, strengthening exercises. I'm wondering if it's primarily to do with shoulders and lack of mobility. Pain began laterally just above the elbow, then progressed to medial forearm. This now seems to of abated to a certain degree, and have a trigger point in the lower tricep. Currently taking fish oil tablets and multivitamins only.

I've tried to work through it by changing techniques, hand positions etc.. but to no avail.

I started off in end of May doing 5x5 stronglifts, had a total of 3 weeks off due to hols and waiting for gym equipment. My question now is, thinking of going to rippetoes 3x5 due to lower volume but keep intensity, or/ do marko's program, which is simiar volume? Also, start with empty bar again, or 50% of current max's?

Cheers

45yom
1.69m
bf 24% (yes, i have a keg)
115/75/130 and 55 press

Last edited:
Don't worry about the fish oil. It doesn't do anything.

Fish oil or oil high in omega 3s has to be taken long term at the right dosage to have an effect. People think that they should be seeing a reduction in inflammation in a week taking 3 fish oil caps a day. Not so.

Surprisingly common injury with squats.

Its your brachialis. Get some myotherapy tone to "unstick" the muscle fibres and get thing moving smooth again. That will fix your forearm and elbow as well.

The treatment should hurt like hell. If it doesn't, go find a real myotherapist.

If you want to keep squatting in the meantime, use a very wide grip. You probably will need to go high bar to stop the bar slipping down your back. The issue is caused by the weight of the bar bearing down on your arms, which ends up in your brachialis. The closer your grip, the more problems you will have.

Get it treated now. If its been going for a while you may need a couple of visits. It should feel much better 3-7 days after treatment. In the meantime rest it completely. Com-fukkin-pletely. Don't be a dickhead.

I have permanently switched to a wide grip. No problems since dong that.

Surprisingly common injury with squats.

Its your brachialis. Get some myotherapy tone to "unstick" the muscle fibres and get thing moving smooth again. That will fix your forearm and elbow as well.

The treatment should hurt like hell. If it doesn't, go find a real myotherapist.

If you want to keep squatting in the meantime, use a very wide grip. You probably will need to go high bar to stop the bar slipping down your back. The issue is caused by the weight of the bar bearing down on your arms, which ends up in your brachialis. The closer your grip, the more problems you will have.

Get it treated now. If its been going for a while you may need a couple of visits. It should feel much better 3-7 days after treatment. In the meantime rest it completely. Com-fukkin-pletely. Don't be a dickhead.

rest is best

Thanks for the advice fellas, will see a masseur on wed night, get them to spend a lot of the time on the arm. I was resting the weight of the arm on my block roller for 30s periods at a time, hurt like buggery. I'll take the advice and lay off the weights for a few weeks, maybe just do tonnes of air squats instead.

Have been on the fish oil tabs for about 3 weeks already, seeing as the fish in diet isn't as frequent as I'd like henehe.

Shall I keep block rolling the trigger points?

As an aside, I had troublesome tendonitis for a while. Finally decided to get some elbow sleeves in hope of some relief while I was training; to my surprise they not only provided relief while in the gym, but also significantly while outside. To the extent that I have been able to stop taking anti-inflammatories. While I can still feel it it has subsided significantly.

I'd been thinking of getting the sleeves as well. I did wear those compression bandages you get from the chemist, but was wondering if the sleeves would be betterer?

I'd been thinking of getting the sleeves as well. I did wear those compression bandages you get from the chemist, but was wondering if the sleeves would be betterer?

Probably give you more warmth and more compression. The downside is that I find it harder to get a pump when doing triceps.

I'm battling the same kind of injury pushing my 5RM on low back squats. When form starts breaking down I have a tendency to push my elbows down under the bar which really jacks the elbow joint and the myriad of tendons / muscles that connect at the joint. Have done so before and laying off back squats was the only way to aide recovery. Might give high bar a whirl when it's mended as the impact the injury has on my pressing movements while recovering is incredibly frustrating.

Shoulder mobility is a constant work in progress, as poor mobility affects your arm placement which in turn leads to these issues as weight comes up and form suffers.

Same issue with low bar squats causing sharp gnawing pain in my brachialis. I had tight pecs too which increased the strain in my shoulders while setting up for the skwaat.

I find paying more attention to my upper back tightness (especially in between breaths) is important to prevent the bar from slipping or rolling down, which is bad news for the wrists, elbows and shoulders.

I regularly roll out my brachialis with my rumble roller and a lacrosse ball. Hurts like hell at first but then starts to feel strangely good, its very satisfying.

You find it hard to stay tight with a wide grip?

Or should I say maintain tension...

tumblr_m0hxb2d4HD1qibz0jo1_r1_500.png

Sooooo, went to the night markets here in cairns for a 40 minute $15 dollar massage. Of course, I get the skinny masseur who asks me if I want soft or hard....I say go hard! Anyways, I tell him about the tricep blah blah blah, he spends a total of 2 mins on it, I'm laying face down on the table, he then stands above me and asks if the pressure is good or bad? Given the current positions, I couldn't bring myself to say go harder, so walked out when all done. I guess I'm off to the sport Physio tomorrow lol.

Give yourself a massage, that is if you have two hands.

stick the finger of the other hand on the sore bits and hold until the pain subsides.