• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Reide

Head Slut Kuncet
I'm going to try this cutting thing.
So my understanding is that;

Y=1 gram protein x 1 pound body weight (136)
X=0.3 grams fat x 1 pound body weight (136)
so I am 62 kg which is 136 pounds.

(Y x 4) + (X x 9) = 544 + 367.2 = 911.2

The BMR thing suggested I eat 2,218.05 cals for my level of activity.
I'm female, 162 cm tall and 25.

2,218.05 - 911.2 = 1306.85 cals to shred

Is that correct?

X should = 40.8

The following calcs are still correct though. Can you just explain where the 2218.05 comes from and why the 911.2 is deducted?

Weren't you trying to put weight on recently?

Where are carbs?

^This.

images

No. Your calculations are incorrect. You have mixed up two separate things.

Assuming that your numbers are appropriate this is how you use them.
2200 for maintenance.
1700 to cut.
544 from protein
367 from fat
1290 from carbs (maintenance)
790 from carbs (cut)

X should = 40.8

The following calcs are still correct though. Can you just explain where the 2218.05 comes from and why the 911.2 is deducted?

I was trying to build muscle. I dont plan to cut straight away as I want to know what I am doing first. But it sounds like its better alternate between bulking and cutting.

Off pc so I will reply to everyone else afterI get back on.

X should = 40.8

I have that written in my working out (on paper) and forgot to type that.

the 911.2 working out was because of what this guy was saying;

I probably missunderstood or made a mistake though.

No. Your calculations are incorrect. You have mixed up two separate things.

Assuming that your numbers are appropriate this is how you use them.
2200 for maintenance.
1700 to cut.
544 from protein
367 from fat
1290 from carbs (maintenance)
790 from carbs (cut)
Oh cool. Thanks.

lol just go weight (kg) x 30 for maintenance calories as a starting point then eat those cals for a week or two (logging it using myfitnesspal), weigh yourself every day then take the average over the course of each week to see how much you have either gained, lost or if you remained the same. This will help you find out how many calories your body REALLY needs to be at maintenance then you can bounce forward or backwards from there.

And yeah if you calculate X+Y then you got to make up the rest with carbs unless you wanna go full keto-spasticyolo

That first video only calculates the cals from carbs, not how many cals you should be on the cut.
I would normally say to just use an online calculator but if you're studying this stuff and making nutritional plans for clients then you should really get it down.
However if you want to cheat, MyFitnessPal does all the work for you and is easy to use as a logging tool throughout the day.

The ratio of protein/carbs/fats can vary, you don't have to stick to what he's saying in the video. If you want lower carbs and higher fat then you can tweak the ratios to suit your preferences, body type, tolerance to carbs/fat etc.
I prefer to work out a percentage but say 25/55/20 for P/C/F.
If your maintenance cals are 2200 then the calorie ratio will be 550/1210/440.
Then we can use "x4 for protein or carbs and x9 for fat" and it will give 137/302/48 which is the grams of each.

If you want to cut, then take 200-400 off the maintenance cals and do the maths again. Opposite if you want to gain weight.
You will need to go over it regularly because as your weight changes, your maintenance cals will also change. This is the same if you're trying to put on or lose weight.

As Jiggers said above, for it to be effective, you really need to dial in your maintenance cals though. Log what you're eating and get as close and consistent to that 2200 or whatever you think maintenance is and record your weight over a week or two. If it goes up or down then your number is wrong.

lol just go weight (kg) x 30 for maintenance calories as a starting point then eat those cals for a week or two (logging it using myfitnesspal), weigh yourself every day then take the average over the course of each week to see how much you have either gained, lost or if you remained the same. This will help you find out how many calories your body REALLY needs to be at maintenance then you can bounce forward or backwards from there.

And yeah if you calculate X+Y then you got to make up the rest with carbs unless you wanna go full keto-spasticyolo

my only issue is I am vegan so I don't have barcodes to scan. I have food scales though. MFP can go by weight right? I'm also vegan so everything I eat basically has some form of carb most likely. I love potatoes.

That first video only calculates the cals from carbs, not how many cals you should be on the cut.
I would normally say to just use an online calculator but if you're studying this stuff and making nutritional plans for clients then you should really get it down.
However if you want to cheat, MyFitnessPal does all the work for you and is easy to use as a logging tool throughout the day.

The ratio of protein/carbs/fats can vary, you don't have to stick to what he's saying in the video. If you want lower carbs and higher fat then you can tweak the ratios to suit your preferences, body type, tolerance to carbs/fat etc.
I prefer to work out a percentage but say 25/55/20 for P/C/F.
If your maintenance cals are 2200 then the calorie ratio will be 550/1210/440.
Then we can use "x4 for protein or carbs and x9 for fat" and it will give 137/302/48 which is the grams of each.

If you want to cut, then take 200-400 off the maintenance cals and do the maths again. Opposite if you want to gain weight.
You will need to go over it regularly because as your weight changes, your maintenance cals will also change. This is the same if you're trying to put on or lose weight.

As Jiggers said above, for it to be effective, you really need to dial in your maintenance cals though. Log what you're eating and get as close and consistent to that 2200 or whatever you think maintenance is and record your weight over a week or two. If it goes up or down then your number is wrong.
We haven't gone over macros yet at school. I'm just getting ahead of myself. I might have to start printing everyones comments and put them on my wall for study purposes here.

my only issue is I am vegan so I don't have barcodes to scan. I have food scales though. MFP can go by weight right? I'm also vegan so everything I eat basically has some form of carb most likely. I love potatoes.

Yep food scales so you can weigh out your food raw as you prepare them. You can enter in food manually on MFP. If there are barcodes to scan for every meal you have I'd say there's a problem lol