• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

LateStarter

Hi All,

My trainer has me currently doing high-volume to bring up my work capacity and to burn off the fat.

However with deadlifts my forearms and grip is running out of steam halfway through the sets.

I know I have other options but:
1. I don't like alternating grip due to some imbalances, a bicep and a shoulder injury.
2. I wanted to try hook grip but feel like I'm going to lose my thumb. Also I heard hook grip will not train your grip, it just works around it is that true?
3. I don't want straps, as I want forearm development plus the grip strength, am hoping there is a way.

My work sets were like this:
120x12 reps
150x1 (too heavy to grip more but would like to do 2-3)
120x10
120x7 - grip is failing
120x6 - grip again
120x5 - grip gone now and forearms burning from pump

Should I do lower weight and higher reps like 105x15 or something to train grip more?
Or should I find accessory work?

Have only been training 2 months - is it just newbie weakness in my grip strength?

If you are using double overhand grip it will always be behind your deadlift and more so with higher reps.

I would just do one of the three options you mentioned.

You'll still get a stronger grip even with straps.

Just use straps. I used to be the same for years and avoided straps so my grip wouldn't suffer. But my progress stalled and why be limited by grip when you're actually training deadlifts. Started using them and made good progress. You still use your grip with all the other exercises so I don't see it being a problem.

You have been training for 2 months. Be patient.

The three posts above are all correct. Just use straps or chalk, the latter being a huge help. Straps let you work with heavier weight, which is what deads are all about.

If you are impatient and want faster results, do heavy paused shrugs. Your traps will be stronger than your grip so it gets a good workout.

There are lots of grip exercises about but I think they are mainly done by people who want to avoid going home. They are a waste of time. Just keep deadlifting and your grip will catch up.

Alternate grip will help a lot. If you are worried about injury from that, just alternate hands each set.

I also am against high rep deadlifts. Too easy to lose focus and phuck something up. Better to go heavier and fewer reps. If you do too many reps you are in danger of becoming a crossfitter and vegan. Very serious shit. (No insult intended to our resident vegan.)

3. I don't want straps, as I want forearm development plus the grip strength, am hoping there is a way.
Please re read the above and...

...and ask yourself this question: why am I doing what I'm doing? If you want forearm development, than do an exercise that would directly target your forearms. Deadlifting is not a specific movement that would target your forearms. If your forearms are becoming the weak link due to the high repetitions, then eliminate that weak link by using straps. Furthermore, there'd be many other exercises that would develop your forearms indirectly, it doesn't have to be a deadlift exercise.

Finally, if you are aspiring to compete as a powerlifter one day, I can assure you that whether you've used straps during your training or not, your adrenaline pump on the day would see to it that your grip would be well taken care of (without you even thinking about it as you are now). All the best.

PS: Always remember, never sacrifice the big in favour of the small.

We're do you train I think I need to include deadlifts into my program what do they target?

We're do you train I think I need to include deadlifts into my program what do they target?

There is no one specific target, most of the body will get some work but with more emphasis on the back, arse and hamstrings.

Wait I'm confused now, no specific but emphasis means what

are the no specific ones getting stronger and how?

is grip specific, this is really confusing me now lol, what do the really strong dudes do to make them strong holding the bar

Wait I'm confused now, no specific but emphasis means what

are the no specific ones getting stronger and how?

is grip specific, this is really confusing me now lol, what do the really strong dudes do to make them strong holding the bar

Don't overthink this. What I am saying is that the big compound lifts, like the deadlift and squat work a lot of muscles.

Holding on to the bar will get you stronger at holding onto the bat.

Just keep doing it.
Static holds will be good for your grip. You just have to get used to holding heavy weights.

Yeah like when I first started doing chinups my hands kept on slipping of the bar but my dad bought me some grippers and I used them all the time I like to watch the veins blow up and man it burns he said do them every night

Interesting thing about the comments made about multi joint exercises working a lot of muscle.
youve got the prime movers or in another term muscles that do the mechanical work.
and the you have the ones that play a supporting role, I think these are the ones that need to be strong using exercises that place them in a environment of mechanical work to allow the trainee to perform other exercises.

so I guess I'm saying a well rounded exercise template is best.

i think if one is going to serously persue the deadlift then adding grip strengthening exercises is a good option (if there grip is challenged)

straps and chalk, like shoes and belts doesn't make you stronger.

What's multi joint, I think I understand.

like me using grippers makes me better at doing deadlifts

is a chin-up multi joint

Funny, I had a couple of newbies ask me this in the gym recently.

I told them that what worked for me was to ditch the gloves, use chalk / liquid chalk, and dumbell ('Kroc') rows done very heavy, aside from the obvious point of just training the lift itself more often.

Could also do farmer's walks if you get really excited.

Personally I don't think straps, shrugs or other fancy grip exercises are the answer, none of the good deadlifters I've seen have used either. Are you sure you are doing your deadlifts with good form? I also agree with Woody about not doing them for high reps either.

Funny, I had a couple of newbies ask me this in the gym recently.

I told them that what worked for me was to ditch the gloves, use chalk / liquid chalk, and dumbell ('Kroc') rows done very heavy, aside from the obvious point of just training the lift itself more often.

Could also do farmer's walks if you get really excited.

Personally I don't think straps, shrugs or other fancy grip exercises are the answer, none of the good deadlifters I've seen have used either. Are you sure you are doing your deadlifts with good form? I also agree with Woody about not doing them for high reps either.

Actually just got back from a Deadlift session.

You could be right, this time my grip didn't give first, my body got fatigued first and I could tell I wouldn't make more reps.

Also this time I remembered to chalk up. Tried straps on the last set but it didn't help.

I reckon I was just upping the weight too fast last time, and forgetting chalk.

Agree with previous sentiment. Alternate grip + chalk is key. One set with alt grip, then switch the grip for the next set and so on.