• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Knee sleeves

Yup, that's why I didn't actually recommend it but that is what I do and it works well
Interestingly enough, my TRAC scores are often better the day after doing this.
I might play around with taking a one-a-day aspirin before bed when my training is more consistent and seeing what that does

Five year timeline of symptoms would lead me to look toward tendinosis (degeneration of the tendon), in which case anti inflams will not be terribly useful (which seems to be the case in the form of NSAIDs at least).

Did the pain worsen when you did?
How long did you do this and what rep scheme?

Sorry forgot to get back to this question.
I did 20 reppers but it got to the point were I couldn't squat anymore so stopped. My plan was to go to the higher rep stuff to see if it helped but it didn't seem to at the time.

I can't really add much into this conversation but whenever I get tendinitis (usually in the whole upper arm and shoulder after front squats) I will take ibuprofen and aspirin in a 3:1 ratio 3x a day. I mega dose it as well, 1200mg ibuprofen and 400mg aspirin 3x a day. This pretty much removes it completely. The pain is gone instantly and it is not inflamed the next day. I would imagine that a few weeks of doing that as well as some voluminous low intensity squatting would reduce it significantly but I have no idea really. I guess it depends on if it's just inflammation or if it's trapped or pinching

Like I said I have been on prescription NSAIDs for way to long as it is with some but minimal improvement really.

i've got a pair of the aqua blue rehbands on the way from jackal's gym in u.s.a.

they're meant to be one of the best you can get and i see many powerlifters wearing them.

Thanks everyone for the advise. Really the only thing that seemed to have any effect was when I started doing heaps or TKEs after reading that defranco used them will great results for people with patella tendonitis.

Just started doing them again to see if they help this time. It's fucking annoying a band worth a few bucks did more for it than the thousands I spent at physios, sports doctors, surgeons not to mention all the injections, drugs and scans. hopefully it works this time.

;325075 said:
i've got a pair of the aqua blue rehbands on the way from jackal's gym in u.s.a.

they're meant to be one of the best you can get and i see many powerlifters wearing them.

They were what I was planning on getting next.

Hi, I'm relatively new here but not new to lifting. So just a few q's-

First, since you said you're a footballer do you have a noticeable lower back arch? I ask because this could mean you have some degree of anterior pelvic tilt. The degree of the tilt could affect several movement patterns including squatting

Second, do you have tight hip flexors, iliotibial band, tensor fasicia latae or any of the above? This could be associated with the APT.

Third, do you have any problems deadlifting? Do you pull conventional or sumo?

You said TKE's help somewhat, possibly meaning VMO (teardrop muscle) could be weak and causing the proper patella tracking to be affected. Easy way to check this is to do the test below. If the patella pulls to one side, I'd hazard a guess toward vastus lateralis, it means theres a strength imbalance around the kneecap and one muscle is winning the tug of war over the other (VL and VMO).

[ame=http://youtu.be/NiyhDvwhhiw]Patellar Tracking Test - YouTube[/ame]

I had a very similar situation to this late '11, early '12. I irritated the L4-L5 disc and eventually wound up with some serious anterior knee problems. All good again now, was glad I didnt have it for as long as you have mate.

Hi, I'm relatively new here but not new to lifting. So just a few q's-

First, since you said you're a footballer do you have a noticeable lower back arch? I ask because this could mean you have some degree of anterior pelvic tilt. The degree of the tilt could affect several movement patterns including squatting

Second, do you have tight hip flexors, iliotibial band, tensor fasicia latae or any of the above? This could be associated with the APT.

Third, do you have any problems deadlifting? Do you pull conventional or sumo?

You said TKE's help somewhat, possibly meaning VMO (teardrop muscle) could be weak and causing the proper patella tracking to be affected. Easy way to check this is to do the test below. If the patella pulls to one side, I'd hazard a guess toward vastus lateralis, it means theres a strength imbalance around the kneecap and one muscle is winning the tug of war over the other (VL and VMO).

Patellar Tracking Test - YouTube

I had a very similar situation to this late '11, early '12. I irritated the L4-L5 disc and eventually wound up with some serious anterior knee problems. All good again now, was glad I didnt have it for as long as you have mate.

Thanks for the reply.
1: lower back arch. Normal lower back arch I guess. Not flat but not excessive as far as I know.

2: Tight hip flexors. Sometimes, especially after footy games. I do notice when I stretch hip flexors I feel some tightness pulling in my knees. ITB and the other one, not sure.

3: No issues deadlifting. Pull the same con or sumo but prefer conventional.

4: tried the patella tracking test. Noticeably pulls to the outside on both knees.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply.
1: lower back arch. Normal lower back arch I guess. Not flat but not excessive as far as I know.

2: Tight hip flexors. Sometimes, especially after footy games. I do notice when I stretch hip flexors I feel some tightness pulling in my knees. ITB and the other one, not sure.

3: No issues deadlifting. Pull the same con or sumo but prefer conventional.

4: tried the patella tracking test. Noticeably pulls to the outside on both knees.

Thanks again.

1. Next time you got to a physio you can get them to check out your pelvic tilt. If they can't find one who can. What they'll do is locate the ASIS (anterior superior iliac spine) and PSIS (posterior superior iliac spine) and the angle they form will determine your pelvic tilt. If ASIS is lower then you have anterior pelvic tilt.

2. Tight hip flexors can be a pain in the ass. Simple to remedy but not easy, it'll take some consistent stretching ony your part. The following two stretches will hit the main hip flexors. You might need one more than the other, so just prioritize the one that hurts more lol

This is one for the rectus femoris, part of the quad, and the one I think will be better from what you've told me. Keep an upright posture,30-45 seconds for each leg and repeat 3-4 times. You should feel the tension release afer a few stretches. Once you get the feel for the stretch you can make it harder by keeping your hips forward and leaning back. Then you can also rotate toward the forward leg. So to the right for the guy in the picture.

http://www.dieselsc.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/step-1-hip-mobility.jpg

This one is for the other major pain in the hip flexor group, the psoas. Your normal hip flexor stretch. You can apply the same things to this as the one above.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/--ktYDVov1...AAAOY/jnk36t5V9O4/s320/hip-flexor-stretch.jpg

3. Yeah i thought you'd be able to deadlift. It's because the way the deadlift is loaded, doesnt force the knee to move forward like a squat. sGoblet squats and box squats are two squat variations that I'd suggest for the time being. The goal is to keep the shin as vertical as possible, teaching you to sit back with your hips. If you dont have a box, use a bench.

4. So it looks like the vastus lateralis wins that war. Keep doing the TKE's so you can work that vastus medialis and get it stronger. You can also just sit down with your legs straight out in front and focus on tensing your quad. Just put your index and middle finger on the vastus medialis and that'll help facilitate a stronger contraction. When you get the stretching consistent you can also move into an exercises called "Peterson Step Ups"

Spend 15-20 mins a day consistently on all these things and you'll notice some improvement. The level of improvement is up to you =)

;326110 said:
just got the blue rehbands in the mail 20 mins ago.they feel a little bit tight. will wear them in for a bit...

Tight is what i want. Will order some of these when I get around to it. How long did delivery take.

Tight is what i want. Will order some of these when I get around to it. How long did delivery take.

what size are your legs? these are mediums.

they were sent out on may 21st so almost 1 month but they said that their australian orders were getting delayed lately so maybe about 2 weeks is the norm.

f-ck i hope i can start squatting again. new schiek 3006 belt on its way now..

Anyone got a solution from stopping your shoes getting drenched in sweat from knee bands?

My oly shoes stink and i don't really want to wash them as they're rigid as all fuck.