• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Raw Elite

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a federation with no records it gives lifters something to work towards. I'm not going to win the 110+ class unless Gawain breaks both legs (accident or otherwise ;)) but I can work towards a higher total ranking.

mmm, I'm 120kg off Jeremy's total but only 30 off level 3, it's good for setting goals.

7.fucking.hours. You could watch the lord of the rings extended version. Twice.

You are completely wrong mate. A gym lift is nothing like a comp lift, I didn't understand this either until I competed.

Two weeks before ProRaw I did 190(PB), 200(PB) and 210x for the squat, a few benches up to 110kg, and 180, 200, 210(PB) in the deadlift. I did this in two hours or maybe less. Afterwards I was fine, I wanted to try for a 220 dead as 210 flew up but my coach stopped me. The next day I was ok, and two days after I was back to training.

At the comp I didn't hit any PB's and did worse in the deadlift and bench. I barely managed to pull 200, a lift I thought would be a good opener and I couldn't even get 210 above the knees. I was rooted, even with all the extra "rest." I felt like I'd been hit by a truck for days after, Sheiko or 20 rep squats has nothing on the fatigue I felt after the comp.

Competing isn't for everyone, but until you've done it you have no idea what it's like.

Of course. But more attention, I would hope, than they pay to those with no lifts at all in their signatures. Let's not forget why we came up with that.

Some of the guys with no lift in their signatures are stupidly strong. But you missed the point, Kyle.

This forum is already very much the PTC Forum now. Fadi hardly ever posts, we get fewer newbies than we used to, etc. I hope it won't become ProRaw - Competitors Only, Everyone Else Fuck Off.

Hey, there's still a pocket of PA resistance! :p It'll never become a PTC forum.

Oliver, comp lifts are a world of difference to gym lifts. Fatigue as said is a huge factor, but so is stress / nerves and the fact that you only have 3 attempts per lift. Last comp I did a very easy 160kg squat but missed 165kg due to lack of concentration when hitting depth. My coach said I had 170kg in me easy, but by then I had already done 3 attempts. If it were at the gym, I'd rest a bit then try 165 and 170 and would likely make all of them.

And then there's making weight... That's a bitch!

Even though the only comp I've been in was the deadlift only comp last year thus far.
Combined with cutting weight and excited nerves, after that comp I was more physically and mentally wrecked than when I was last week doing my 95% skills eval on sheiko which had me do the 3 lifts up to 95%.

Its an example of the difference between a competition environment and training environment. With that said though, despite how hard the comp environment is, there are some things that you cannot emulate in the training environment, for instance 2 weeks prior I could not get 270 off the floor, come the deadlift comp with all the crowd and my heightened nerves I just missed 282 at lockout.

Once you do a comp though, you get bit by the iron bug and just want to compete.

Kyle. Admin seperated bodybuilding and strength sections.

We surely are allowed to talk about competition in this section, even without your blessing.

I seldom come over to the BB section, aside from your thread, which I enjoy.

If you dont like the strength section, fuck off, but dont come in all negative.

This Fadi issue, that you little cock smokers bring up, what the fuck does that have to with me, the strength section or anyone else on this forum.

Nobody forces anyone to post or read in any particular section.

Oliver and Kyle, you can Nut up or Shut up. If you want to comment on competition, like the competitors are, compete, it really is that simple.

Not a single guy that has actually competed has sided with you guys.

Does that tell you something?

My problem with lifts in sigs, which I know was your idea, and a great one, is I have seen some vids of members lifts in gyms.

Should not be posted in sigs, no names, no pack drill

Some of the guys with no lift in their signatures are stupidly strong.

This is why I wish a few more people would do it, I had no idea who Spritcha, of Johnnie_sfw, or g-unit, or whoever else I've missed are just based on usernames and I would have taken note of everything they said a lot earlier had I known how successful they were in powerlifting. (Though I guess you could just spend time on the forums and figure it out.)

Conversely someone could look at my sig and realise that I'm still a novice powerlifter and that you can take what I say with a grain of salt.

Hey, there's still a pocket of PA resistance! :p It'll never become a PTC forum.

It's not good when forums become homogeneous or develop a hivemind. Debate is good, you don't learn anything if everyone agrees.

there is a big difference between gym pb's & competition pb's.

If you smash a (state, national, international) record in a training it doesn't count. If you do it in a competition, then it certain cases it'll get noted down. That's not really what you guys are discussing though.

In a competition you are fighting it out, sharing a few warm up areas with maybe a dozen lifters. There are a lot of distractions and excitment in a competition that you don't have in a training session.

In a weightlifting competition, you get three snatch attempts. In the old days you use to be able to be given a 4th, but you had to be offered it. Once you had that last attempt, that was it. No going back.

Markos I agree about the validity of gym lifts, but we've all, also scene competition lifts that are just as questionable right?

Lets not get elitist about this whole thing. We all love lifting, whether it be as a serious competitor or as a novice in a garage with no coaching.

As lifters, we do our best with the tools we have.

There is a world of difference between a gym lift and a comp one. Sure there have been some crappy comp lifts passed in the history of lifting, but I still think there is a huge difference. I have coached a handful of guys and every single one comments on how much more difficult it is to put it all together on the platform.

Not meaning this to suggest gym lifts aren't important- just wanting to point out that they are hardly worth comparing. Good on you to all the people who train and lift weights at all. Good on you to those you have made progress and set PBs. But, a gym lift is just a gym lift.

I take it that is the point of the discussion/debate right?

I agree a competition lift is more difficult, I just dont like the elitist attitude of gym lifts are worth nothing and someone who doesnt compete has no right to take part in a discussion.

Now it may not be the spin that was intended, but thats what its sounding like to me.

Im sure Oli can attest that whatever he has done competitively, was a lot more difficult under the pressure of competition.

Im sure Oli can attest that whatever he has done competitively, was a lot more difficult under the pressure of competition.

That's why I asked him.
Would've thought he'd understand but eh. Whatevs.

Really though, as long as you don't try and pretend that a gym lift PB is a comp lift I don't see an issue with displaying gym lifts. I mean, pretty sure a 200kg gym PB at 70kg is still 'better' than a 100kg comp lift at the same BW

Status
Not open for further replies.