• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What is the most common mistake you see people do while working out?

I feel you bro, split my jeans on Sunday :mad:. $300 pair of Roberto Cavali's, kunce spilit under the right arse cheek when I knelt down to do mys shoe laces, not fukken happy.
Lesson learned, no more laced shoes. ;)

On a separate note, I've gotta let this one out. THERE IS NO FUCKING MEDALS HERE FOR DOING SQUATS INSTEAD OF CURLS!!!!!!!!!.
If the kids want to curl and build up biceps, good on them, better that pulling bongs and paying xbox all fucking day.
Get the feeling kunce here are saying "squats" cos they think its expected of them and if you don't say "squats" your off the list. :confused:
Its just another (and very good, I add) exercise, NOT A FUCKING MAGIC POTION OR OBLIGATION.

PHEW....feel better now.

To add to that who cares if they want to do nothing, collect stamps or even just pull bongs. It's their life. They look at people who spend hours in the gym squatting each week and laugh at what a waste of time, all they have to show for it is a fat arse, mediocre squat numbers and they piss people off talking about how awesome Paleo is.

very true, last two posts.

Just yesterday I suggested to two guys why not powerlift.

But afterwards thought why would they bother. Most people just want to train and look good.

Maybe there are 3,000-3,500 who compete in weight/power lifting, but probably 50 times that who go to gyms.

A report released in October by IBISWorld predicts Australian fitness industry revenue of $3 billion in 2012-13. Australians are expected to spend:
* about $1.7 billion on gyms and personal training;

http://www.news.com.au/finance/money/trim-wastage-of-fitness-cash/story-fnagkbpv-1226553294564

Last edited:
Most gyms aren't there to help people be fit and healthy. They want to make a profit. Just as long as there are enough people coming to make it seem popular... Most commercial gyms would rely on >80% of customers not showing up after the first month.

*(any statistics given are likely to have been pulled out of my arse)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

The biggest mistake I see if people who are wanting to improve simply lacking intensity. They end up just going through the motions and doing the same thing over and over. If there is no stimulation for the body to change, then it won't.

The biggest mistake I see if people who are wanting to improve simply lacking intensity. They end up just going through the motions and doing the same thing over and over. If there is no stimulation for the body to change, then it won't.

Yeah, but describe if you may, your idea of intensity.

Some people have a funny view of intensity.

Normally, intensity would mean a high % of 1rm but in this case I was simply referring to actually pushing themselves to go that bit further. Whether it be an extra rep for strength training or really getting out of their comfort zone for cardio stuff.

e.g. I was running a strength class about a month ago and I told people to work up to a 10rm by their 3rd set. Then on the 4th set I said, no rep ranges. Go until failure basically (same weight). The minimum increase was 50% of reps (15) and the max 400%. One guy made 40. If we didn't do that last set, his "10rm" weight is not really pushing anywhere near the limit.

lack of intensity - doing obviously easy weight with next to no effort

beginners doing advanced 5/6 day splits with a million random exercises at high reps with no squat or deadlift

smith machine usage (seriously 90% of my gym squats light weight in the smith machine with a pussy pad!)

bench press that is the heaviest compound lift

upright rows done up to the point of shoulder impingement.

leaving barbells loaded and stacking weights incorrectly

to much talking and not enough lifting
discussing the benefits of various supplements
doing the same weight/reps day in day out
doing exotic exercises

Some people have a funny view of intensity.

A guy at work has come over a couple of times to do weights. He normally goes to a gym and uses machines or the cardio stuff.
He says he wants to lose weight and gain muscle, but he doesn't make the commitment to sticking to a particular programme that works towards his goals and when he does go to the gym or come over to my place, he doesn't lift with enough effort or intensity to even break a sweat. It annoys me and I used to bug him about it, but now I just let it go.

On the other hand, people compare me post workout with the guy from Doom when he's down to 20% health.

Last edited: