• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Blame Neddysmith for probing RE: people getting stronger using higher rep sets.

HEY, I heard that.......

Nah I was just interested, as for me when i did higher rep stuff for a prolinged period of time I found I didn't lose size but when i went back to heavier weights I had lost some strength and it took me a while to get to where I was previously.

So as i said in another post I generally combine low and high rep sets within my workouts and find I get the best results, although I do mix things up every now and then and do just high rep stuff or low reps for a workout of two.

I'll see how it goes. Have switched to 8+ reps, at least for the time being. Felt pretty good today, gotta say.

Even though I dropped the weight down quite a bit, the total volume increased - like, with the squats for example, I went from 575kg per set (last time I did three full working sets of squats, a couple of weeks ago and then some) to 800kg per set! :eek: And yet, as I said, it felt good. Better, actually.

Maybe there's something to this 8+ rep thing after all... Will see how incremental overloading goes with this approach, I guess. That'll be the deciding factor.

I'm at the stage where higher reps will have to suit me. I just can't load up the bar anymore. ?

Been doing sets of 20/15/12/10/8 then back up on a few exercises lately, been going alright. Haven't done under 8 reps in a long time

I'm at the stage where higher reps will have to suit me. I just can't load up the bar anymore. ?

You too huh...

three.jpg

Been doing sets of 20/15/12/10/8 then back up on a few exercises lately, been going alright. Haven't done under 8 reps in a long time

Currently working in rep ranges 10-6, 12-15, 15-20. Each day alternates rep ranges and is based on an upper (a/b/c)/lower (a/b/c/) split.

I can't seem to get DOMS in the lateral delts unless I do 100 rep warmup in whatever sets it takes 1x100, 2x50, 4x25. Then on the working sets a minimum 10 reps. If I go heavier with less reps I just don't feel it the next day.

I'm starting to think this is also truth for me for squats but the reps aren't that high. 5X5 taxes my CNS but my muscles hardly feel it afterwards. But 4x8 will give me DOMS.

As a starting point I was using the muscle fibre test. So after you figure out your 1 rep max, got to 80% weigh and on an isolation exercise see how many reps you can do. Above 10 reps you need high volume. Below 5 about you need heavier weight and less reps. Between 5-10 reps you can mix it up.

Use to do 12-10-8-6-12-12 reps with a lighter weight, use to feel really strong from it, and fit.

The % of fast and slow twitch fibers determines the optimal number of rep's for progression, easy to determine for single joint exercises, a tad different for multi joint movements, so it is best to play around with numbers over a protracted time.

Train in a variety of rep ranges. Weight the end of the scale that you feel is appropriate for the body part.

I've found that the number of reps will depend on how long it takes to complete a full range of motion of each individual rep. For example, calf raises have such a short range of motion that you need to do double that of most other exercises to get the same time under tension. Where something like a chin up (if done properly) has quite a large range of motion and you don't need to do as many to get the same time under tension.

I've found that the number of reps will depend on how long it takes to complete a full range of motion of each individual rep. For example, calf raises have such a short range of motion that you need to do double that of most other exercises to get the same time under tension. Where something like a chin up (if done properly) has quite a large range of motion and you don't need to do as many to get the same time under tension.
Are you saying if there's a short ROM then you should do higher reps? And longer ROM, less reps? Interesting theory....

Yep. Started doing that on exercises with shorter ROM or faster reps (particularly shoulders and calves) and got way better results. The opposite is true for leg or back exercises where it would be impossible to do 15+ reps as you'll be there all day (front squats).

I guess another way to look at it is total time under tension per set.

That's pretty good Steve.

the optimum time is around 1:20 minutes.
but generally 60 to 90 seconds with heavier weights but a lot has to do with leverages and the distance travelled from full extension to contraction.