• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
[h=1]Wimps are 'stronger than bodybuilders', study finds[/h][h=2]A gram of bodybuilders' muscle is less powerful than the same amount of tissue from someone who did not weight train, tests show[/h]

soldiers_2714361b.jpg
Bodybuilders are only strong because they have so much muscle mass, research suggests. Photo: Getty Images

By Agency

4:16PM BST 29 Sep 2015

Wimps might have the last laugh on gym-obsessed hunks - gram-for-gram, bodybuilders' muscles are weaker than those of people who never touch weights, research has shown.

Scientists found that bodybuilders had extraordinarily large muscle fibres capable of generating forces far greater than normal for an average human.

Yet tests showed that a gram of their muscle was less powerful than the same amount of tissue from someone who did not weight train.

Lead scientist Professor Hans Degens, from Manchester Metropolitan University, said: ''Most of us are impressed by the enormous muscle bulk of bodybuilders and think that these people must be extremely strong, like the 'Incredible Hulk'.

WEIGHTS_2677396b.jpg
Scientists have discovered shorter workouts can help dieters lose more weight than working out for a full hour Photo: ALAMY

''The surprising thing, however, was that a gram of muscle from bodybuilders produced less force than that from non-bodybuilders, and it thus seems that the 'muscle quality' is less in bodybuilders.
''It appears that excessive muscle growth may have detrimental effects on the quality of the muscle, and one may well be better off with normal-sized muscles than with metabolically expensive large muscles.''
Bodybuilders are only strong because they have so much muscle mass - enough to compensate for the weakness of each gram, the research suggests.
man-gym-low-t_2707314b.jpg
In contrast to bodybuilders, power athletes appeared to have an improved level of muscle quality Photo: Alamy

''We had no indication that the proteins generating force - muscle motor proteins - work less in bodybuilders, but it could be that they have fewer motor proteins per gram muscle,'' Prof Degens added.
''It would be interesting to see what aspect in the training of bodybuilders causes this decrease in muscle quality.''
The scientists, whose findings are reported in the journal Experimental Physiology, took small muscle samples from the thighs of 12 male bodybuilders, six power athletes such as sprinters, and 14 men who were physically active but did not weight train.

Individual muscle fibres were isolated and tested to see how fast and powerfully they contracted. The results of these experiments allowed the team to make an assessment of muscle quality.
In contrast to bodybuilders, power athletes appeared to have an improved level of muscle quality, the researchers found.
''The training method seems to have an impact on muscle quality, which is of great importance for trainers and coaches interested in improving either performance or appearance of athletes,'' said Prof Degens.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...e-stronger-than-bodybuilders-study-finds.html

Why would they have the last laugh when they're still wimps? Besides, I am pretty sure they chose BB'ers who were on synthol lol

i think theres an element of truth to this lol.it depends if the bodybuilder took a deload before he was tested as vigorous weight training obviously needs a rest component.
However man lets be real here...gram for gram analysis? so a 100 kg trained man would get overwhelmed by a 70 kg untrained man? i dont think so.Plus you know when you look at a super heavy 140 kg+,thats lethal power right there.

all things being equal, strength (and related muscle) an advantage.

However, in scheme of reality, massive bb's are mostly pretty ordinary in activities outside posing on stage when compared to top athletes in specific sports.

Of course, there are some sports where they may do well, probably powerlifting. But not much else.

I see bb as an art form. that is all.

Has no one picked up that muscle recruitment isn't linear?

Waving your arm takes a certain amount of muscle activation. Have extra muscle results in the same task being completed. Extra muscle is unnecessary and inefficient once you have enough to complete a task. Kind of like kilowatts from a car engine. If you're cruising at a certain speed, the extra power isn't used and can been seen as a waste or "not as strong".

all things being equal, strength (and related muscle) an advantage.

However, in scheme of reality, massive bb's are mostly pretty ordinary in activities outside posing on stage when compared to top athletes in specific sports.

Of course, there are some sports where they may do well, probably powerlifting. But not much else.

I see bb as an art form. that is all.

Theres a vid somewhere of Kevin Levrone having a sprint vs Duane Chambers and yeah he got beat but it was easy to tell Kev is quick.i think it really depends on the individual.
Man it goes against all natural instincts to say a big human being aint strong.lol.

my experience is that extra muscle mass is only a disadvantage in endurance activities,anything else its a plus.

LOL media hype.
Nothing to see here move along. Bro's are still stronger than wimps. Just another misguided professor with no idea what hes doing.

A hyundai excel might be quicker than a truck but if they're going to collide I know which one i'd rather be driving.

well there are anomalies,i know theres video footage of that rich piana guy getting owned by someone much smaller,im not sure what the deal was there.plus theres the outliers like big kev off the biggest loser who is most definately huge,but whether hes strong,i dont think so.

heh theres a powerlifter in melbs called Ryan(i cant remember his last name) and the guy is a man mountain but his total is not great,however going hand to hand with him would be painful.im not sure if "power output" is even that useful in determining anything apart from "power output"

Has no one picked up that muscle recruitment isn't linear?

Waving your arm takes a certain amount of muscle activation. Have extra muscle results in the same task being completed. Extra muscle is unnecessary and inefficient once you have enough to complete a task. Kind of like kilowatts from a car engine. If you're cruising at a certain speed, the extra power isn't used and can been seen as a waste or "not as strong".

spot on.