• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I voiced my concern previously about the lackof big compound movements to stimulate a hormonal response in our aging bodies,but what about the lack of 'big load bearing exercises' to stimulate Bonedensity as we age @
Fadi;

Sticking those big ass weights on your front or back has to be good for yourbone density*. Missing out on that be a problem Fadi?

Thanks.

* I'm not talking about real big ass weights that may cause degenerativeissues like RC.
You're forgetting: health.

Just being able to get off the couch, pick up kids or grandkids, walk upstairs, be less likely to need a hip or knee replacement, run around for asocial soccer game without worrying about popping an ACL, and so on. Now, forhealth a person doesn't need to squat 200kg, and they sure as shit don't needto do 100 reps. But they do need to squat.

Some of you need to look beyond your own training and past the studies to seewhat most people need. Some of you get it, some don't.
This. Squats are not a pre-requsite for good healthand mobility. Movement is.

Thank you to all who’ve contributed so far, I very much appreciate both your concerns and input. Based on your contribution, I feel obliged to disclose all that I’m doing in the way of training. Well not so much training as that is been constantly uploaded into my personal journal. So what exactly am I referring to then? All the stuff that I don’t put up. My warmup, as well as my 6 days/week stair climbing. Let me explain...

Osteopenia, sarcopenia, and dynapenia, are three age related ailments I have studied about, and have revolved my training around them, as I truly believe in the saying prevention is better than cure. So what do these three ailments represent exactly? I’ll very briefly outline their meaning below.

Osteopenia
is a decrease in bone density but not to the extent of osteoporosis

Sarcopenia is the loss of skeletal muscle mass and strength as a result of ageing.
Dynapenia is an age-related loss of muscle strength and power.

Please note that
Dynapenia
needs to be defined independently of sarcopenia, leaving that term to be used in its original context to describe the age-related loss of muscle mass, where dynapenia is more to do with the ability to generate force and power if you like, as it is somewhat connected to the nervous system instead of pure muscle size. Here’s a short copy and paste re this subject:For the past several decades, the literature has largely focused on muscle size as the primary cause of dynapenia; however, recent findings have clearly demonstrated that muscle size plays a relatively minor role. Conversely, subclinical deficits in the structure and function of the nervous system and/or impairments in the intrinsic force-generating properties of skeletal muscle are potential antecedents to dynapenia.

OK so what exactly have I been doing in my warm-ups since I’ve stopped the basic exercises such as the squats, military press, and weightlifting pulls? I’ve been doing them all. But not for muscle hypertrophy but rather as a warm up in the shape of a barbell complexes. I’ve put up the video below 4 years ago, and in its first 30 seconds, you’d get an idea of what I’m talking about..., please disregard the squats. I would have filmed my current warm up for you but had no means to do so today, so this would have to do for now. Here’s how my barbell complexes go:

1. Power clean...into

Front squat...into

Military press...into

Eccentric phase of a weightlifting pull (controlled lowering) of the bar back to the floor before I repeat the sequence 5x, equaling to 1 set of 20 reps total. I do 5 sets which equals to a grand total of 100 reps before I begin my training. I realise that lifting 40kg for these barbell complexes is not the heaviest weight in the world, however I am more interested with the explosiveness of the movements (especially the power clean), as (perhaps) in few years' time, more studies would show that that's exactly what was needed to prevent dynapenia.

The other thing that I do do when I’m at work, is to take the fire stairs and walk up 176 steps; step by step until I reach the 12[SUP]th[/SUP] floor in 2 minutes flat. I do that 6x/week.

The above falls under the category of structured exercise. Apart from that, I do move and I do stretch. So hopefully these things would keep me healthy as I get older.

Today’s leg workout was as follows (as I was trying out for 200 reps).

Leg extensions:
20kg x30, 25, 22, 23, 20, 17, 17, 20, 13, 13= 200 reps/4000kg

Leg curls:
15kg x40, 25, 3x20 = 125 reps/1875kg

MY COMMENT RE THIS 200 REPS EXPERIMENT

After I had completed the first lot of 17 reps (137 reps total at that point), I felt my muscle contraction had lost plenty of its power. So I knew the sweet spot would be between the 130 to 140 rep mark. However I took it beyond that to see how my muscles would respond as I kept on pushing them. The eccentric phase of the leg extension was becoming very demanding, as the quads just wanted the weight to “fall” down instead of been controlled down.

The hamstrings were done after the 125 reps. Also, smaller muscles like part of the calves were beginning to fatigue, shifting the focus off the targeted muscles. My legs have tuned into jelly, I could hardly walk, so much so that my foot kept on hitting the steps as I was trying to walk upstairs (living in a townhouse). It was an effort just lifting the leg few inches to place it on the steps. Now I know how 200 reps feel and what are enough reps to stimulate instead of annihilate the muscles..., leaving/allowing room for recovery.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this thread yesterday and wondering how you've been coming along [MENTION=2727]Fadi[/MENTION] ; I'm quite curious to hear of your results.

It was during my workout yesterday when I was watching all the 'bros' do their multitude of different curling variations. I thought that most of them do 3 or 4 different exercises to hit one tiny muscle and here you are doing 1 exercise (albeit with a lot more reps) to work a much larger muscle. Whilst I do think that what the average punter does for their biceps is excessive, I can't help but wonder if you're leaving something on the table by only doing 1 movment for that muscle. Volume is king for growth as far as I am concerned but are you stimulating all the fibres with 1 movement?
This is of course (going by the previous posts) assuming you've dropped the other movements in your original post?

Volume must be relevant to the muscle size, ie the larger the muscle the greater the volume.

Volume must be relevant to the muscle size, ie the larger the muscle the greater the volume.

So for the "bros" doing say 3 variations, 3 sets of 10 reps each...90 reps. What do you say is sufficient for quads? 180-200 reps as Fadi is doing here?

So for the "bros" doing say 3 variations, 3 sets of 10 reps each...90 reps. What do you say is sufficient for quads? 180-200 reps as Fadi is doing here?
Yeah, Id go with with that or at least 150-160
Squat 4-5 sets
LP 3-4 sets
Leg Ext or lunges 3-4 sets

I was thinking about this thread yesterday and wondering how you've been coming along @Fadi ; I'm quite curious to hear of your results.

It was during my workout yesterday when I was watching all the 'bros' do their multitude of different curling variations. I thought that most of them do 3 or 4 different exercises to hit one tiny muscle and here you are doing 1 exercise (albeit with a lot more reps) to work a much larger muscle. Whilst I do think that what the average punter does for their biceps is excessive, I can't help but wonder if you're leaving something on the table by only doing 1 movment for that muscle. Volume is king for growth as far as I am concerned but are you stimulating all the fibres with 1 movement?
This is of course (going by the previous posts) assuming you've dropped the other movements in your original post?

This often happens, we become blinkered, Fadi is about trying everything, because everything works.
In the case of the quad, overtime high and low rep's from full stretch to full contraction stimulate the slow and fast twitch fibers, i think maximum intensity of work, stimulates the maximum amount of fibres.
Although isolation is great, multi joint movements also need to be included no and again and more often than not.

And I don't believe Volume is the king for growth, strength is.

And I don't believe Volume is the king for growth, strength is.

Most people that train purely for strength also aren't the biggest people getting around. I understand you need a strength base in order to induce the best hypertrophy but training purely for strength doesn't lead to growth...just my opinion

Any results so far Fadi? And did you try the milk, if so how was it
Hey Mick, just taking it easy until Ramadan is over, then I'll be changing this up drastically, and will be writing a full article on my method and why I've come to the conclusions I have.

The milk is fine mate, but I believe I may need to boil it, as the method of pasteurisation sometimes causes more bloat than the sugar lactose itself for someone like me. If you're wondering why that is, it's because the process of pasteurisation (heating milk to around 70 degrees Celsius and holding it there for about 30 minutes), causes the amino acids to coagulate, making it extremely difficult for my stomach to handle..., no different to an egg white whence boiled and coagulated it in like manner. The western people (i.e. you), have been brought up on pasteurised milk, where the eastern people (me and nearly the whole of India), have been brought up on boiled milk, even when if we have access to raw milk, we still boil it. Different societies/different cultures, resulting in different internal microbiome (not better or worse Mick), just different to suite our environment. And yes, the bacteria you mum gives you when she delivered you and breast fed you, stays with you for life.

I've digressed I know, sorry about that.

I was thinking about this thread yesterday and wondering how you've been coming along @Fadi ; I'm quite curious to hear of your results.

Hey brother, I hope you're well. Thanks for your questions. I'm not ashamed to say that both the "bros" and I could do better. Hence, I've come up with my ultimate training method to build muscles. I will soon be writing a full article on it, and I've decided to call it Fadi's TEE training...., Tension Extension Expansion. Talking of expansion, I'll be expanding on all details and my reasoning of why I've come to my conclusions after 36 years of training.

Andy was right to say that Fadi is trying/doing/applying different strategies within his training, as most do work to build muscle. However I've reached a stage in my life where I no longer am satisfied with what's good, but only with what is optimal. Optimal whilst not using steroids; optimal whilst having a family commitment and a full time job, optimal for you and me, and for everyone who is not a pro bodybuilder, yet wishes to take his genetic potential to their absolute upper limit. The article will be comprehensive, and with my usual style of writing, will be backing up the methodology behind my latest approach.

I no longer do 100 reps, or 200 reps for that matter. It's not about volume but rather the quality of that volume. It's not about the intensity or load on the bar, but the effort applied, as muscles know tension and not load. I'm looking forward to writing and sharing my latest thoughts, backed up by the latest sport science studies, as well as injecting some tried true and tested protocols of yesteryears' old school era. Again, I thank you for your question sir, and I hope you'll stay tuned to my TEE training protocol coming soon and exclusive to Ausbb.

Last edited: