• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Is there some squat weight where u will really start wishing you had killer centre knurling? I just started squats.

I have some second hand 7.5kg 6 foot non-olympic chinese bar that's done me fine so far up to 100kg squats / 105kg bench. I want olympic size but find it hard justifying $500+.

Anyone had experience with Gym Garage bars? <edit: nvm page 20 or so of this thread has someone bending one from dropping it with 100kg bumpers, f that>

Last edited:
Never used ABC bars but I know I would not want any knurling less than the what the Texas power bar has.

Im pretty sure I had elfreako's beside mine before he got it, the abc was more harsh.

ABC actually had to change their knurl as people were calling up/returning bars because they were to harsh..... Pussies.

When you order, you just ring up and tell them what you want.
I'll be getting another 2 soon with a knurl only 2 other bars have in this country that I know of.

Im pretty sure I had elfreako's beside mine before he got it, the abc was more harsh.

ABC actually had to change their knurl as people were calling up/returning bars because they were to harsh..... Pussies.

When you order, you just ring up and tell them what you want.
I'll be getting another 2 soon with a knurl only 2 other bars have in this country that I know of.

Thats what you want then. I would be happy with a harsher knurling than the Texas.

Is there some squat weight where u will really start wishing you had killer centre knurling? I just started squats.

I have some second hand 7.5kg 6 foot non-olympic chinese bar that's done me fine so far up to 100kg squats / 105kg bench. I want olympic size but find it hard justifying $500+.

Anyone had experience with Gym Garage bars? <edit: nvm page 20 or so of this thread has someone bending one from dropping it with 100kg bumpers, f that>

A $200 bar from gym direct should meet your needs for a few months.

Cheers for the input lads i think im going to order the ABC BOP220 bar tonight i got made an offer that i could not refuse :), it has excellent reviews and that pic of it a few pages back gave me a boner haha. I am thinking the course knurling will be great however im not sure if this would be suitable for the squat knurling i work out at home with no top on and it would shred my back to all shit so maybe i should get the fine knurling in the middle of the bar for squats if they can do this... any thoughts on why this is or is not a bad idea? This is an awesome site by the way :)

Lol why buy a $200 bar then upgrade a few months later?
$200+ shipping down the sink

I agree here, and not just with barbells with most things in life. If you go cheaper it normally ends up costing you more in the long run. I wish i just got a decent bb from the start now I have to upgrade and change my weight as i only have standard sizes. Anyone know a good place for weight plates? i prefer the rubber coated ones but not sure how they will handle deadlifts ie would the rubber split?

I agree here, and not just with barbells with most things in life. If you go cheaper it normally ends up costing you more in the long run. I wish i just got a decent bb from the start now I have to upgrade and change my weight as i only have standard sizes. Anyone know a good place for weight plates? i prefer the rubber coated ones but not sure how they will handle deadlifts ie would the rubber split?

cheapest rubber coated oly plates i could find were cyberfit, google it he is in sydney but ships ozwide cheap. If your in brissy southside fitness will match any quote you can get.

rubber is fine if you have rubber down on the floor.

Sorry to bump an old thread guys, but I just read through 41 pages and had to sign up to see how every ones ABC bop20 power bar is holding up and also the texas power bar from UGE? I am after a new bb and im deciding its between these 2 after reading the entire thread i seen the pic of the abc bar just above and it looks the goods with great reviews i got a quote of $563 delivered however i could pick the texas bar up from UGE as i noticed there down the road from me for the advertised $600 so im not sure which way to go....

I payed $474 delivered for my Bop220 .. fine extra sharp knurl.. Couldn't be happier with it..

IE sells some pretty cool looking weights plates for a decent price.

They're like an Ivanko revolver copy.

Shipping might kill you though.

Cheers mate good site but i prefer just the plain black rubber coated not the coloured ones, sounds stupid i know they all weigh the same haha

cheapest rubber coated oly plates i could find were cyberfit, google it he is in sydney but ships ozwide cheap. If your in brissy southside fitness will match any quote you can get.

rubber is fine if you have rubber down on the floor.

Mate thats a pretty good site with reasonable prices cheers for that, the plates look pretty good to.

Try 'gymgarage' for plates on ebay. A guy in holland park. E.g.:
2 x 20KG RUBBER COATED OLYMPIC SIZED WEIGHT PLATES - FITNESS EXERCISE EQUIPMENT | eBay
$2.50/kilo

Holy shit cheapest plates ive seen man good find and i could pick them up to save on delivery although im a bit of a drive on the sunny coast but still worth the drive for sure cheers.

I payed $474 delivered for my Bop220 .. fine extra sharp knurl.. Couldn't be happier with it..

I must of wrote out the wrong price in the post you quoted i meant $563 + delivery not delivered but now they offered $433 + delivery so probably work out pretty close to what you paid. I just received an email from UGE saying the advertised price for the texas power bar is the best price so my mind is made up im going with the ABC BOP220 :) Just not sure if the rough knurling will shred my back doing squats...

joe said:
You're in bris yeah?

How much did they quote you for the BOP220?

How much for delivery?

Did you ask for the same knurl as Sticky (Scott from PTC Bris) ?

Joe i cant pm back as i havnt got 10 posts yet i just joined up so hopefully you see this or some one else can aware you of it...

Yeah im in brissie i just sent my address then so awaiting postage quote earlier on Daniel from abc told me around $50 but ill give you exact total quote when i receive it. Im on sunny coast so maybe a bit dearer than brissie.... I just asked for the coarse knurling and asked about the center squat knurling, Daniel said the center squat knurling is not as harsh so it doesnt shred your back up. Im not really sure what the knurling is like on stickys bar.... oh and the bar quote is $433.64 + postage. You looking at getting the same bar?

Anyone in brissie is welcome to check out my bars at PTC.

I have various knurled BOP220 bars
Gymdirect bars
Texas deadlift bar

I'm actually talking to abc today about producing some completly custom bars.

^^ Thanks Sticky but I'd take you at your word anyway, only problem is cash. Damn barbells aren't cheap (even tho ABC are, sort of, when you consider the quality)

Joe i cant pm back as i havnt got 10 posts yet i just joined up so hopefully you see this or some one else can aware you of it...

Yeah im in brissie i just sent my address then so awaiting postage quote earlier on Daniel from abc told me around $50 but ill give you exact total quote when i receive it. Im on sunny coast so maybe a bit dearer than brissie.... I just asked for the coarse knurling and asked about the center squat knurling, Daniel said the center squat knurling is not as harsh so it doesnt shred your back up. Im not really sure what the knurling is like on stickys bar.... oh and the bar quote is $433.64 + postage. You looking at getting the same bar?

I'm looking at it but I just want a 20kg bar, I won't put enough weight on it to bend it for a while ..... What are the other options for 20kg bars? All I can find are $200 chinese jobs which make me lean towards ABC if I'm already outlaying a significant amount of cash.

Basically I'd prefer to go the cheapo route but $200 isnt cheapo, so I'm looking at ABC.

His bars are 17.2kg or something. I just want a 20kg bar to make things easy. I may opt for an $80 bar and add some washers or something... maybe...
\/\/\/\/\/\/

Last edited:
I wouldn't spend anymore than $80 on a China bar. Guy in Holland park selling one for $80

Gym direct has ok $200 bar as well as other sites i cant think of. The knurling isn't the best but chalk can fix.

I wouldn't spend anymore than $80 on a China bar. Guy in Holland park selling one for $80

Gym direct has ok $200 bar as well as other sites i cant think of. The knurling isn't the best but chalk can fix.

Fuck the $200 bars either buy the ABC or just buy the $80 -$100 cheapy oly bars. I got a cheapie that weighs 20kg not sure why they would be 17kg.

I've had my ABC for ten years or so, the chrome is jjjuuussstttt starting to deteriorate and there is a tad oxidation.