• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Find one with bearing then. Go have a look at it, spin them and see how it goes, put it on the floor and roll the bar, you'll see if it already bent soon enough, can do you a video to show what I mean but there are probably some floating around

Have ordered a BOP220BN :)

I'm also considering ordering 8 x 20KG rubber coated plates, was quoted $756.80. Is this a good price? I don't mind paying for quality but a plates a plate I would've thought? I prefer rubber caoted over cast.

It depends on the weight tolerance. 8 plates that are all 100g overweight? Or 8 plates all 10g overweight? I pay a little more for the reliable weight tolerance.

However 1kg here or there might not matter in some cases, especially if your lifting 200kg. :)

It depends on the weight tolerance. 8 plates that are all 100g overweight? Or 8 plates all 10g overweight? I pay a little more for the reliable weight tolerance.

However 1kg here or there might not matter in some cases, especially if your lifting 200kg. :)
Holy old thread revival batman!

Can i ask if the barbell that you're talking about here, the ABC BOP220 - does it have a center knurl ?

Yep. Ask for deep fine knurl.

I called them up the other day, and asked about Scotts Deep Fine knurl.

It ended up being the BOP220DF-BN in their online store. <sorry, couldn't post a link to it>

It looks like they made it a standard product ?
Or is it the wrong item ?

Last edited:
Is there only one importer for texas power/deadlift/squat bars in Australia now? For some reason I thought they were more readily available because someone asked where I got mine from the other day and UGE no longer sells them

Last edited:
Anyone recommend a barbell for a noob? Looking to deadlift bench and squat with it.

Should i spend more for a decent one?

My 1rm are pretty low and i don't think i'll ever lift anything higher than 180kg. Cheers

Seriously I would not be going nuts unless you are pulling serious weights.

I been using a $50 made in china bar and it's still going strong, I have dead lifted 195kg with it and it's still fine.

Unless you have cash to burn just get something reasonable and you should be fine.

Last edited:
Get an ABC powerlifting barbell. It's the one near the end of their list. They aren't expensive, compared to a competition barbell, but have a very similar feel and is a "stiff" bar giving you better control during the lift.

Personally, I'm at the other end of the spectrum from Mick. But then I compete in powerlifting and Mick works out to look like a Greek god, so we have different goals. If your goal is to get better at the basic powerlifting lifts, get a bar that is close to what you would expect to find at a comp.

I can't give you the model number as I am in a hotel with crappy wifi and it won't load the page, but just use The Google and look for their powerlifting bar (www.australianbarbellco.com.au). Last time I looked it was on the second to last or last page. You want the one with a centre knurl, powerlifting knurl markings, 28mm diameter shaft but specify that you want the "aggressive knurl". I think I paid $400 for mine a few years back. Within a month, everyone in my gym was swiping my bar for workouts (I stored it in the gym). That's how obvious the difference was in feel and operation. It even made a difference with bench press.

I have a competition Eleiko bar now (I think they are around $2k in Oz now) and the feel and stiffness is almost the same as the ABC bar, except the Eleiko has a less rough knurl, but seems to actually grip better. Not sure what magic is happening there.

Don't be the guy with a $200 barbell being used in a $1-2000 power rack. A power rack is just a hat stand for your bar, the bar is the important bit.

I'm with woodyman. Personally I think expensive bars are not that important but if you compete and are serious about it yeah save up and get a comp bar. Training with what you will compete with or it could fuck you up on comp day.

Hi guys thanks for the reply.

Would this be a decent option? similar specifications as what you listed and $70 cheaper

Iron Edge Black Hard Chrome Barbell - $370

• Men's 20kg barbell
  • Dual markings - Olympic and Powerlifting
  • 2200mm in length
  • 100% black hardened chrome finish
  • 28mm shaft diameter with our renowned fine knurling
  • 50mm sleeves rotating via 8 needle bearings, 16" in length
  • 200,000 PSI tensile strength
  • Rating of 2,000 lb’s

Last edited:
Hi guys thanks for the reply.

Would this be a decent option? similar specifications as what you listed and $70 cheaper

Iron Edge Black Hard Chrome Barbell - $370

• Men's 20kg barbell
  • Dual markings - Olympic and Powerlifting
  • 2200mm in length
  • 100% black hardened chrome finish
  • 28mm shaft diameter with our renowned fine knurling
  • 50mm sleeves rotating via 8 needle bearings, 16" in length
  • 200,000 PSI tensile strength
  • Rating of 2,000 lb’s

In my opinion if you don't care about competing right now just get the cheapest Olympic bar to start with. There is no rule that you can't upgrade later. You'll use the cheap bar for rack pulls or other stuff later anyway even if you get another better bar.

Get an ABC powerlifting barbell. It's the one near the end of their list. They aren't expensive, compared to a competition barbell, but have a very similar feel and is a "stiff" bar giving you better control during the lift.

Personally, I'm at the other end of the spectrum from Mick. But then I compete in powerlifting and Mick works out to look like a Greek god, so we have different goals. If your goal is to get better at the basic powerlifting lifts, get a bar that is close to what you would expect to find at a comp.

I can't give you the model number as I am in a hotel with crappy wifi and it won't load the page, but just use The Google and look for their powerlifting bar (www.australianbarbellco.com.au). Last time I looked it was on the second to last or last page. You want the one with a centre knurl, powerlifting knurl markings, 28mm diameter shaft but specify that you want the "aggressive knurl". I think I paid $400 for mine a few years back. Within a month, everyone in my gym was swiping my bar for workouts (I stored it in the gym). That's how obvious the difference was in feel and operation. It even made a difference with bench press.

I have a competition Eleiko bar now (I think they are around $2k in Oz now) and the feel and stiffness is almost the same as the ABC bar, except the Eleiko has a less rough knurl, but seems to actually grip better. Not sure what magic is happening there.

Don't be the guy with a $200 barbell being used in a $1-2000 power rack. A power rack is just a hat stand for your bar, the bar is the important bit.

Different story if you are competing, get a competition bar.

No point spending 2K on a bar if you are lifting 200kg in your shed, I don't even have Olympic weights, I use a standard bar and weights bought off Gumtree.

Then again if I was training to compete I would certainly be using different equipment.

If someone is starting off get a cheap bar and upgrade later as funds allow and as you get more serious, no beginner starts with a $2000 bar unless you have more $$ than sense.

Last edited: