• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Fadi interested in your comment and what you interpet it to mean???
Brother we all need to get our priorities right and in order, would you agree with me on that point? Okay, I hear you loud and clear when you say you are a perfectionist....I've been there. So my words are based on experience rather than some psychology txt book. You are going to want, (no), make that crave a change in attitude if you are to succeed here. However first thing's first. I am not sharing this words with you in order to make you slide backwards no. On the contrary, this is to propel you forward like you've never been propelled in your life. Your "perfectionism" is the load that is weighing you down, when all along you thought it was your vehicle for progress and higher achievement (in all facets of life...gym, marriage, business you name it). Let go of those heavy shackles and know, feel, experience what it means to be free at last!

Perfect is the enemy of good, when you don't appreciate how good "good" really is, or how detrimental the constant aspiration for perfection is and the effects it can have on your whole life. Once you begin to understand that to be good is to achieve excellence, then you would really begin to appreciate the goodness that is to be found in that "good". So rather than pushing yourself to that unattainable "perfect", strive for the excellence that is found in "good".

It's easy to misunderstand what I'm saying here if you think of good as something not worthy of your time and effort. It's equally bad if you think that all is not right unless you aim for the literally unreachable in that impossible "perfect".

You mentioned time management, you also mentioned your wife (I think) calling you selfish or similar. Brother, take it from me, once you cut the tree from its very roots (your attitude towards reaching nothing less than perfection), all those things that you've mentioned would simply fall into place...., yes, all by themselves. It's like you want to get strong but don't wish to add weight to your body. You don't lose sleep over it by complicating it and by making a separation of strength gains and weight gain. Why? Because what you wish for is found in the one and the same formula (style of training). Low reps heavy load = strength/denser muscles/less fat/and no appreciable weight gain. All into one. So by chopping "perfection" from its roots, you have taken care of all the tree and its branches....., it beats cutting one branch at a time wouldn't you agree brother?

Get your diet right first and train when you can, buy yourself some power bands for around the house and do your basic movements while you figure out the logistics of setting up a proper training split and getting to the gym.

Does your wife get personal time?

Do you have the option of spending a few hundred bucks on some stuff that will allow you to get some training in at home?

See training as just one of those life habits like shitting, showering or mowing the lawn. There is always time for it, you just have to multi-task sometimes. I ask to be left alone as much as possible when I train but often the between sets time is helping kids with homework, chopping a tree back, feeding animals, leaf blowing the pavement etc......don't take the training too seriously and it always fits in somehow.

Does your wife get personal time?

Do you have the option of spending a few hundred bucks on some stuff that will allow you to get some training in at home?

She does, Ive made sure she can be a stay at home mum which is her dream. She is allowed to buy whatever she pleases within reason.

Ive tried the home training, not practical for me

She does, Ive made sure she can be a stay at home mum which is her dream. She is allowed to buy whatever she pleases within reason.

Far be it from me to have the right to call your wife out but...let's say you don't sound particularly selfish to me.

I've never understood the whole "my wife doesn't like it when I go to the gym". Stiff shit, I'm going. Too bad if you don't like it. Can't live your life doing everything your wife wants, you need to do your own things some of the time.

You did what a real man ought to do, and that is to provide for his family. Your actions as a good provider has given your wife and child what they've always deserved. Your wife's dream should also be your dream, because she's got her priorities right by choosing to remain at home and act out her real role as a mother to your child and a loyal and loving wife to you.

It's not the end of the world whether you go to the gym or not, and that's the reality of the situation. There's a huge difference between what we want and need. If you can afford to go to the gym without sacrificing your family in the process, then go ahead and do so, otherwise family comes first. And incidentally, the family I'm referring to here is none other but your own family. You are your family, and your family is you! The sooner you're able to comprehend and appreciate the importance of that, the happier and healthier you and your family would be in the long run. After all, you're in it for the long haul, and I'm proud of your achievements so far, but not as much as your wife and child are now, and will be more and more as time goes by.

I don't mind being the one to break it to you brother, but now that you're a family man, you will be sacrificing and substituting superficialities with what is real and priceless. So go and cherish every moment with your number #1 supporting team, your wife and child. Anyone telling you otherwise would be blowing smoke up your a**s!

I'll give it to you in one single word by telling you that your real worth Sir is your own: Family!

I've never understood the whole "my wife doesn't like it when I go to the gym". Stiff shit, I'm going. Too bad if you don't like it. Can't live your life doing everything your wife wants, you need to do your own things some of the time.

That sounds great but for me the sub conscious fact of not having support has an effect on me

You did what a real man ought to do, and that is to provide for his family. Your actions as a good provider has given your wife and child what they've always deserved. Your wife's dream should also be your dream, because she's got her priorities right by choosing to remain at home and act out her real role as a mother to your child and a loyal and loving wife to you.

It's not the end of the world whether you go to the gym or not, and that's the reality of the situation. There's a huge difference between what we want and need. If you can afford to go to the gym without sacrificing your family in the process, then go ahead and do so, otherwise family comes first. And incidentally, the family I'm referring to here is none other but your own family. You are your family, and your family is you! The sooner you're able to comprehend and appreciate the importance of that, the happier and healthier you and your family would be in the long run. After all, you're in it for the long haul, and I'm proud of your achievements so far, but not as much as your wife and child are now, and will be more and more as time goes by.

I don't mind being the one to break it to you brother, but now that you're a family man, you will be sacrificing and substituting superficialities with what is real and priceless. So go and cherish every moment with your number #1 supporting team, your wife and child. Anyone telling you otherwise would be blowing smoke up your a**s!

I'll give it to you in one single word by telling you that your real worth Sir is your own: Family!

I appreciate your comments.

Lets pretend my wife and i are rated on a scale (ill do the rating) in regards to how we love being with family.

My wife is 10 out of 10, she feeds off family
Im probably a 5 in regards to enthusiasm. Im just being honest here. family was never much for me growing up, so naturally it feels strange for me.

In regards to me being a perfectionist,' i think in my mind i would like to me, but im in touch with reality and discovered a long time ago this is generally not possible in all facets of life.
this was only her comment to me

Ps my packing my lunch for each day (as opposed to having a full box and not being bothered to eat anything from it) seems to work well. Id easily spend $100 a week prior on break food from misc shops

I would still like to hear anyone elses story on how they balance life and training and challenges they faced

For me ive always had hobbies and some have had their path which ended and i accept that. Dirtbikes was a big part, then parties, then cars. I happy those days are over

But my longer term hobbies i want to maintain and will (as far as i can see at this point) are my training

That sounds great but for me the sub conscious fact of not having support has an effect on me
I agree, you need to have some support but not being able to have a couple of hours a week to do what you want to do never sounds like a healthy relationship to me

R6LA876H2B7MK05E-rszw640.jpg

When I find I am really busy and having a hard time making it to the gym I like doing programs at home. It gives me the freedom of a more flexible schedule and this can also be a chance for family time while you exercise. The kids can become weights or obstacles. It's a great bonding experience, they feel important and a part of your fitness.