• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

zayd687

hi guys,
Need some advice on getting back into training. What do you guys do for motivation? I Struggle to train more then 3 times a week. i usually fit in about 1-2 days of workouts
which is basically squatting 1-3 rep max's then doing some strength work with Clubs / sledge hammer etc. I used to love bodybuilding and never missed training but i feel so drained,
my diet is ok with only 3-4 meals, just started a new job but no supplements or anything
i keep saying whats the point? who's going to see me or health ? no one around me lifts no more, but its very easy for me to train as i still am holding my muscle to some extent just my motivation is killing it

what are some ideas, how can i get back into it. i'm always so tired from work, i feel guilty everyday not training but im so buggered.... your advice appreciated thanks:(:(

Dunno man. I just hate the thought of wait I may become if I don't train. That's my motivation. Think of all the positives training gives you.

I always find that setting myself some goals helps with motivation and keeping me honest. They don't have to be big things simple things like work out three times every week, walk 3km 2 times a week. I also find that keeping a diary so I track whether I'm on track or not can help.
What has also helped me in the past is to think back to a time when you were loving working out, what type of workout were you doing? Why did not feel so good? Answer that and then take what you loved and use it as the base for your workouts.

Good luck with it man

Motivation?

To be a sexual tyrannosaurus like [MENTION=13432]WoodyAllen[/MENTION]; ........ true.

I'm no fitness expert (just an old fart) but in my experience, you have to spend energy to gain energy. From your post, it seems you are doing mostly low rep, high volume lifts. This can be a big drain on your system.

Try adding in some medium intensity cardio a few times a week. I find this really helps to increase my overall energy levels, work or play.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

hi guys,
Need some advice on getting back into training. What do you guys do for motivation? I Struggle to train more then 3 times a week. i usually fit in about 1-2 days of workouts
which is basically squatting 1-3 rep max's then doing some strength work with Clubs / sledge hammer etc. I used to love bodybuilding and never missed training but i feel so drained,
my diet is ok with only 3-4 meals, just started a new job but no supplements or anything
i keep saying whats the point? who's going to see me or health ? no one around me lifts no more, but its very easy for me to train as i still am holding my muscle to some extent just my motivation is killing it

what are some ideas, how can i get back into it. i'm always so tired from work, i feel guilty everyday not training but im so buggered.... your advice appreciated thanks:(:(

Ah that's an easy one. Don't underestimate what I'm about to share with you though, however you're most welcome to think of it as somewhat silly...., only on the surface (trust me), as there's a hidden treasure behind the "silliness". Ready? Let's do it...

I need you to earn yourself a tick. You read that correctly, a tick, just like we used to get at school. I won't give it to you, hence you've got to earn it, and here's where the apparent "silliness" comes into it.

1. Monday....get home from work, drop your tools at home and go for a 5 minutes walk. Then return back home. Done! You deserve a tick for this continuous 10 minutes walk.

2. Tuesday...as above, but this time add 1 minute each way, so it's 6 minutes walking away from home, followed by 6 returning home. Done! That's 12 minutes for Tuesday and you've earned yourself another tick. Well done.

3. Wednesday....as above, but add another minute. So it's 7 minutes each way.

4. Thursday....as above, with 1 more minute added each way again. A total of 16 minutes here. Bravo!

5. Friday...as above, with yet another minute added. That comes to 9 minutes each way.

6. Saturday...as above, you guessed it, another minute please thank you. 20 minutes done!

7. Sunday....as above, with 1 more minute added each way again. 22 minutes total. Not bad, not bad at all huh!

So where's the wisdom in the above "silly easy" protocol I hear you ask? The wisdom lies in its achievability and 100% success rate, that's where.

Anything else? Sure, you've learnt again how it feels to be consistent with a given task.

Anything else? Yes, you've also learnt what the term "paralysis by analysis" means here. It's basically a state where you find yourself over-analysing or overly thinking things out. So much so that the constant thought stops you from getting anything done.

Now one last word re your very low rep range. Why so low? Are you into the strength side of things here or is your main passion bodybuilding? Nearly forgot...,, once your week of walking has been completed, we can discuss resistance training if you wish.

Wishing you all the very best. Look after yourself. Salam!

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of adults. Yep, its hard. Hard getting up ever morning to go to work, care for a family, care for yourself, pay bills, do all the simple drudgery of life such as flossing, cleaning the toilet, doing dishes, shopping for food, cooking, etc. Of course, when you get home you feel exhausted. When you were a kid, you had almost none of that to cope with, plus you had the built in energy of a growing body.

Its part of growing up and being grown up. We all feel wasted and we often want to just give in, collapse on the coach, eat shit and let the brain freewheel in front of the TV. You are not alone.

The secret is to be grown up and realise that everything worth aiming for takes effort, sacrifice and dedication. Once you get that sorted, and realise that you won't win the lottery or have your mum do everything for you, then you can take steps to be a better you.

For myself, once you have the dedication to make gym a habit, it's easier. You don't have to decide, you just do it as part of your day. So set a schedule. Set small goals as reaching them will keep you motivated.

I'm not trying to be negative here. We all finish our days tired and draggy. If you think life is tough now, wait till you have kids (assuming you don't already, which you might).

A guy I know, Tim O'shea, would get up at 4 or 5 each morning to go into Brisbane to train for a couple of hours then go to work for 8-10 hours then go home and be a dad with all the work and stress that entails. But he did it and placed well in Australian strongman comps and even went to Argentina for a worlds powerlifting comp. That's not just dedication; it takes balls and a deep dedication. Don't expect it to be easy. It rarely is. Thats why your peers are sitting at home drinking beer and eating pizza. They are the ones who will be eyeing you up and saying to themselves, "I could look like that if I wanted to".

Onlooker to Arnold Schwarzenegger: "I never want to look like you".

Arnie: "Don't worry, you never will."

Now, go deadlift and be awesome.

f67ec823e65669cb0fc21fe4a5b78d38.jpg

Workout in a way you enjoy. If you look forward to it, it won't feel like you're fitting it in or have to.

Some ideas:
- Sign up to a new gym. A new place and new equipment will make you feel like you've made a significant change.
- Trial some different training programs.
- Find outdoor cardio you like (walking, running, hiking, riding). Being more active with cardio will get you into the groove of being more active in the gym.
- Get some new supplements to try. Some of the pre workouts and pump formulas are fun to try, and you can only try them if you're actually training.

Zayd, to add a bit to what I've already shared with you, there are two forms of motivational tactics one can choose from, or feel more comfortable in relying on.

1. An internally driven or triggered motivation
2. An externally driven or triggered motivation

Before I go any further, I'll explain the simple and quickly distinguishable difference between these two drivers.

1. The internal as the name indicates, focuses and relies on you and only you. You are the competition and you are the center of attention here with no external influences to drive you or stop you in your tracks.

2. The external driver relies on something or someone outside of yourself to get you going.

Everyone of us has his preference as to which scenario they prefer and feel more comfortable in adopting to get the ball rolling. Some would like to focus on both of these two elements to ignite the fire in the belly. As for me, I've never resorted to external drivers, and in fact find it extremely distracting as well as potentially destructive.

The choice is yours to make.

All the best.

Thank you guys for all your replies, i will try taking the walks daily. I understand some people can multi task and juggle do things and still get a workout in, but i can't seem to do it. I lift heavy weights because i like it, but it takes me a long time to recover from it, at times i change like i may do low volume sets then after 3-4 weeks change it to a 8-12 rep workout but i get bored quickly then i stop .
You are correct FADI, the over analysing stops me, and when i started lifting years ago it was externally driven.

Friends were doing it, women of course, my social circle was a lot larger as you get older it grows smaller and the platform changes from lifting to who can get a home deposit or build success in their career.
I'm sure all of you guys in your 30's are aware of this how priorities become more then yourself, its very draining actually....compared to your mid 20's when a cruisy job and eating 4-6 meals was all you cared for , the shape and growth of your muscles, enlarging the parts that needed work it was such a craft.

Is there a magic pill ? lol thank you for your help guys, i'll try writing in the diary and setting myself to do some activity slowly like walking or jogging. Much appreciated for your guys advice.