• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
If you can't pause both reps, just pause the first.

A lot of people, including me, have used inflated bench maxes for the standard 37. However, while 37v2 is lower volume, it is also higher intensity. I would also use actual maxes the first time through. Judge whether the intensity/volume is appropriate based on your experience the first time through.

The program never specifies more than 85%x2 or 90%x1. You really should be able to do that comfortably with pauses based on a true comp style max (not touch and go). It may get harder and slower as fatigue sets in through the program, but it's still doable....until you start playing around with the template. If you find on a particular day you cannot hit your prescribed weights, lower the weight by 3-4% and complete all the prescribed sets and reps. This only ever happened to me once on Sheiko - the last squats at the end of week 8 of prep cycles.

If you can't pause both reps, just pause the first.

A lot of people, including me, have used inflated bench maxes for the standard 37. However, while 37v2 is lower volume, it is also higher intensity. I would also use actual maxes the first time through. Judge whether the intensity/volume is appropriate based on your experience the first time through.

The program never specifies more than 85%x2 or 90%x1. You really should be able to do that comfortably with pauses based on a true comp style max (not touch and go). It may get harder and slower as fatigue sets in through the program, but it's still doable....until you start playing around with the template. If you find on a particular day you cannot hit your prescribed weights, lower the weight by 3-4% and complete all the prescribed sets and reps. This only ever happened to me once on Sheiko - the last squats at the end of week 8 of prep cycles.

Thanks for the advice. I manned up and kept the weights the same.. just used slightly longer breaks (3-4mins) arched quite a bit and paused them briefly.
120x2 Snakeo - YouTube
Feels allright? Going up the bar slowed down but really it felt pretty easy. Probably didn't have a 3rd in the tank but the intensity seems good. I was surprised since I was still sore from Monday which had 9 sets of chest assistance + bench.

After 37 should I do 31? Should I use the same max for bench of 140kg?

IMO, that looks like a 9 RPE to me. I wouldn't want to go higher intensity than that.

After 37, do 31. But note that it is higher intensity and builds off the first 4 weeks. It dips into 90% a few times. Your sig says 140kg is your touch and go max. If you are pausing 85% of your touch and go 1RM, it's not actually 85% if you take my meaning. It's more like 90% depending on individual strengths/weaknesses. If 140 is your recent touch and go max, then consider the effect pausing has on intensity. If you competing it is worthwhile working on pausing, but you might need to drop the intensity a tad - maybe use 130-135 as a max.

I did a cycle of CMS bench where I did insane 3-5ct pauses throughout and it didn't work well at all because I based it off my comp 1RM. The intensity was too high at that volume and I totally crumbled.

My recent touch and go max is 135kg, and 120kgx4. 140kg was after peaking with Smolov a year ago.

The hardest set of 31 with a 140kg max is 126x1 which I think I could manage fairly comfortably (even mid week in Sheiko cycle with some fatigue). Using 135kg as a max would have me do 122kgx1 a few times which looks like a bit of a joke (though I guess this is what Sheiko is supposed to be sometimes?)

Not sure I really want to run an easier program though after a more difficult one. Which is what 37 (140max) followed by 31 (135max) seems like.

31 does look harder than 37 as is with the same max plugged in. Thanks again for suggestions.

Last edited:
No probs. The second 4 weeks will usually end up being harder due to accumulated fatigue. You could repeat 37 again, and it would usually be harder the second time around.

135 TNG probably equates to more like 130 paused. 126 paused is fairly high intensity for a 130 max. What you benched a year ago is virtually meaningless as a max. I almost certainly think your max is too high, but see how you go. You might respond better to higher intensity anyway. You need to tailor your training to your own needs anyway.

Keep in mind what Sheiko had in mind with his programming. It's a very different philosophy to what most of us are used to. In his book he talks about using loads that don't present any sticking points at all. Sticking points introduce inefficient technique. In particular with bench, he has done research that shows that failed lifts in bench press are the result of lack of speed off the chest and this quality is best trained at lower loads. The idea is that during training your lifts are all very smooth. They get slower and harder when fatigue sets in but you are still able to perform the lifts smoothly. Then, when you deload, you will be able to perform heavier weights without grinding. This matches my experience with benching after doing Sheiko, up to the point of failure every lift is super fast and smooth. I lost the ability to grind, but it turns out I didn't need it.

Hmm, sounds like my max is too high. I based it on others I know who used a false max.

Not sure whether to lower or raise. #31 again looks doable with a 140 max straight after #37 but would I gain more by lowering the max and using shorter set breaks, longer pauses, etc.?

#37 again would probably be easy, the first week would practically be a deload for me.

I have recently learnt that the first week is deliberately kept lower intensity not only to ease into things but to help gauge whether the max is appropriate or not. If the lifter finds it too hard in the first week, Sheiko lowers the max for that cycle.

I reckon stick with 140 max and continue with that into 31. If you find you have to grind or can't complete reps, lower your max, but no need to change anything now since you seem to be coping. If you're just having a bad day and miss a rep, you could always just lower the prescribed weight by 5kg for that session and finish all the reps and sets. No need to pause every rep either. Just the first rep. Particularly because you are already using a higher max.

Hope that helps.

Not a sheiko expert here but I found for me on bench it worked better to stick with my actual current max rather than increasing it like some suggested.

Not a sheiko expert here but I found for me on bench it worked better to stick with my actual current max rather than increasing it like some suggested.
Hows your experience been? #37 #37 #32 for 5kg pb from 145kg start or something?

Week 2 Sheiko #31 bench reps... very, very easy (4 sets of 3 @ 70%). Mini deload in prep for week 3?

I have been doing the new version of 37, 31, 32. Up to the end of week 7 and is progressing very well. I'm loving the slightly lower volume, slightly higher intensity.

I have been doing the new version of 37, 31, 32. Up to the end of week 7 and is progressing very well. I'm loving the slightly lower volume, slightly higher intensity.

Ive been applying the 3.8% weight reduction for shit sessions in reverse for the majority of my bench work now. Adapted fairly well by week 6.

CMS bench going OK so far. Front delts are very fatigued though and require constant massage lol

Started #37 on Tuesday - let the fun begin
Got the Sheiko forums version #2 though? Check it, they have a new version for over 80kg lifters.

I think I'm on exactly the same point you are then. I did 128kg singles of bench without any issues, but they didn't come up super easily - not enough to make me think next week's attempted single at my programmed max (140) will be possible. What do you think you'll hit first week of #32? How were your heavy singles in #31? I'm using a false max (140, actual = 130 to 132.5)

Ive been applying the 3.8% weight reduction for shit sessions in reverse for the majority of my bench work now. Adapted fairly well by week 6.
Upping the weight when you feel strong? Where'd you get that rule from?

CMS bench going OK so far. Front delts are very fatigued though and require constant massage lol
I'd like to try CMS bench... I feel I'm recovering fine from #32 and #31. But Sheiko says stick with a routine your level, doing a champions program wont make you a champ, put in the hard yards etc.

[MENTION=10878]jj80[/MENTION]; Boris mentioned dropping the weights by 4% on shitty days, i figured why not apply it to days when feeling strong.

I used a true max, so bench has been fairly easy.