• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
While I agree a leg press isn't essential. I can see them still being a useful exercise.
I know Andy Bolton uses them as deadlift assistance. I could see them being a useful assistance exercise for the deadlift and people who are quad squatters.

My gym is sending a team to the world championships this year.
My gym also just had 2 teens total well over 700kg at a national event.
A lifter from my gym just won the Australian nationals, broke 4 aus records and 4 world records.

My gym doesn't have a leg press...... We do alright.

True that Bro, seems like your gym doesn't need a leg press, full respect to you bro, keep up the hard work!

People will wait for upto an hour to use the leg press at our gym.. the free weighted one that is.. madness I tell you.

Yes i agree it is madness, though if the people are satisfied afterwards then thats all that counts:)

What is a leg press? I thought it was something used by the injured/geriatric to build up enough strength to squat with an empty bar on their back.

lol your a funny man. The actual motion of doing a standard squat for most people is not a natural movement, it puts pressure on other parts of the body which have little to do with the actual squat movement itself.

A more natural exercise would be lunges, and one can utilise weighted lunges. Lunges provide many more benefits to squats and the risk of injury is next to none compared to squats.

Talking of trap bars goose man, almost everyone pulls more with it....
Do you know why?

My guess would be because the weight is more in line with your centre of mass rather than being out in front like a normal deadlift. Makes it a more efficient way to lift a lot of weight.

Have you guys found any carry over from trap bar to normal deadlifts.

Talking of trap bars goose man, almost everyone pulls more with it....
Do you know why?

It's more a standing leg press, the hands positioned to the side of the body change the biomechanics, shifting the emphasis away from the lumbar.

With the trap bar it's also not possible to lock the hip, compared to the dead-lift.

For that reason the dead-lift and SLDL is a beautiful thing.

Im unable to heavy deadlift like I use to.
My three main lower body lifts now are; squat, TB and my Hammer strength leverage press.

My guess would be because the weight is more in line with your centre of mass rather than being out in front like a normal deadlift. Makes it a more efficient way to lift a lot of weight.

Have you guys found any carry over from trap bar to normal deadlifts.

That's what I was thinking, but then isnt it the sane positioning as a pin squat?
No way in hell I could pin squat 300+ like I could on a trap bar.

Thanks Andy.

lol your a funny man. The actual motion of doing a standard squat for most people is not a natural movement, it puts pressure on other parts of the body which have little to do with the actual squat movement itself.

A more natural exercise would be lunges, and one can utilise weighted lunges. Lunges provide many more benefits to squats and the risk of injury is next to none compared to squats.

Eh? I'm reading a whole lot of bullshit in these 2 paragraphs. The squat should be a natural movement, its just been conditioned out by western society. Look at any child when they drop something on the floor, down they go in a natural squat to get it, not a bloody lunge.

And as far as injury risk, weighted lunges can be very risky for the knees if not done properly and with less stability than squats they could easily be considered more dangerous in a way.

Overall I see squats as having far more benefit purely from the amount of muscle recruitment they require to perform... this is why they are a main lift and not an assistance lift like lunges.

Eh? I'm reading a whole lot of bullshit in these 2 paragraphs. The squat should be a natural movement, its just been conditioned out by western society. Look at any child when they drop something on the floor, down they go in a natural squat to get it, not a bloody lunge.

And as far as injury risk, weighted lunges can be very risky for the knees if not done properly and with less stability than squats they could easily be considered more dangerous in a way.

Overall I see squats as having far more benefit purely from the amount of muscle recruitment they require to perform... this is why they are a main lift and not an assistance lift like lunges.

Try taking dump using a lunge could be intredasting

Not a natural movement my arse.
baby-squat.jpg

I now beleive, that (for an adult) squatting to pick something up is less efficiant than bending over, the reason a baby squats is because if it didn't it would fall over.

That's why I bang on so much about the SLDL.

I now beleive, that (for an adult) squatting to pick something up is less efficiant than bending over, the reason a baby squats is because if it didn't it would fall over.

That's why I bang on so much about the SLDL.

Except when its heavy...

Still, try and lunge a heavy box off the ground.

Try taking dump using a lunge could be intredasting

Good point lol!:D

A lunge is a very unnatural movement as fair as I can tell especially compared to squatting.

Yeah i actually would like to take back my statement about lunges i made earlier, i was simply smoking too much crack at the time i wrote that post. I am on both sides, so basically i like squats and lunges.

I will admitt with true honesty that pumping out a good hard set of squats gives a great feeling to the whole body, and at the same time you just know its benefiting the whole body. Heavy Legs is where its at, am i right there or what? Legs are the foundation of the physique;)