• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Keep in mind you train 2 other heavy-assed lifts as well.is it better to just have a day off?bear in mind,im basing what i say on what ive observed in the logs of raw natty lifters who have superior benches as well as my own limited experience.i believe shoulder pressing has value as an accessory.

Last edited:
If you have gotten thicker then you have gained muscle. Now you need to focus back on strength for a while to strengthen the new stuff then peak and reap the rewards....

This prep for the strength block i used:
Comp bench.
Close grip.
Long pause.
Floor press.

Every week.

The hypertrophy block i used:

Tng bench.
Close grip.
Push press.
High incline.

Peaking block is all comp bench.

So post comp ill be dropping comp bench again. And using mil press instead of push press initially.

If you have gotten thicker then you have gained muscle. Now you need to focus back on strength for a while to strengthen the new stuff then peak and reap the rewards....

the thing is being bigger doesnt automatically translate to being a better comp bencher.i see guys smaller than me who bench the same if not more because they are technically superior.Having a bigger chest and shoulders etc only goes so far.Bear in mind Tim,take what i say with a pinch of salt..i only pause bench 130.

what are you good at Gerry? lol

Depends who you compare me with.Now lets consider the section we are posting in first.shouldnt be too hard to figure out what im getting at.bless you sparty,its good to have a go aint it? haha

Last edited:
im pretty sure just repping tngs hasnt done a thing except make my torso a bit thicker.Heavier weights still feel heavy.However ill still do it for a while so im not jumping to premature conclusions but my empirical evidence suggests for me im better off to train a tad heavier.I just cant handle pause benching all the time thats all.i get bored just doing squat bench dead rinse lather repeat.
So i understand the need to change it up...but man..i reckon military pressing is too far removed,is there enough carryover to pay the price of the time invested?but im happy to be proved wrong here.
Mate not being rude but these ausbb comps probably wont help you become a better powerlifter.u may hit a 85 kg press but still be a 130 kg bencher.lol wats the point of that?
Also we all like the idea of being good at everything.however you end up not being good at anything...lols.

Press has great carryover to the bench but bench doesn't carryover great to the press.

85kg press and 130kg bench is a pretty standard ratio.

its a chicken and egg scenario.its a case of finding what works for you,for me getting carried away with doing non competition lifts has meant i can almost closegrip 130 kgs,(but still have skinny arms and have trouble locking out)incline a reasonable amount and still have a crappy comp bench.

gerry, just do the press comp, or get off the fucking press comp thread.

we want inspiration rather than your philosophical depression.

its a chicken and egg scenario.its a case of finding what works for you,for me getting carried away with doing non competition lifts has meant i can almost closegrip 130 kgs,(but still have skinny arms and have trouble locking out)incline a reasonable amount and still have a crappy comp bench.

It's not really.

Big pressers can put up respectable bench very quickly.

Big benchers can have a very weak press.

You talk like you're an elite athlete powerlifting. It's just a hobby that your not that good at anyway. Have a bit of fun and put up some press PBs.

this thread is about encouraging people to participate; you (gerry) are just a knob contributing nothing to thread.

It's not really.

Big pressers can put up respectable bench very quickly.

Big benchers can have a very weak press.

You talk like you're an elite athlete powerlifting. It's just a hobby that your not that good at anyway. Have a bit of fun and put up some press PBs.

nah ill be ok.im a good masters lifter i think.certainly better than both of you broken arses.

the joke is his log was indicating heavy press reps, relative to what he benches.

but somehow doing a max would be a digression from his elite powerlifting training.

Mediocre bencher chiming in.....imo overhead pressing definitely carries over to a big bench. Have always done heavy overhead pressing whether it's seated machine overhead or standing/seated military press. Overheads have been in all my programs, Josh Tait who's another big bencher, and Jay Semmler who is Oz's biggest bencher.....