• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
oh dear, that doesn't sound good! Note that I for one am not a fan of pimple face toby mcguire, he looks like the kind of kid whose busy having wet dreams every night, not fighting villains in spidersuit.

Wolf creek 2, was ok for a Aussie flick, although the amount of destruction and bodies left behind there would be some serious investigations,

Been going through movies I downloaded ages ago and just haven't been bothered to watch, 1 was the guilt trip which was more watchable than I anticipated and the other was The Heat, which was actually quiet funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolf creek 2 I wasn't a fan of, ended up just being plain funny I thought. Some of the stuff was just over the top, not in a gross way or anything, such as the kangaroo scene.
Also just got on to 47 Ronin, thought it was pretty good

Wolf creek 2 I wasn't a fan of, ended up just being plain funny I thought. Some of the stuff was just over the top, not in a gross way or anything, such as the kangaroo scene.
Also just got on to 47 Ronin, thought it was pretty good

The only thing I didn't like about it was they butchered the story to make reeves the hero.. .

The only thing I didn't like about it was they butchered the story to make reeves the hero.. .
Can you point me in the direction where I can read up on what you are talking about. I have read about the 47 ronin, not the comic or anything.

f I understand what you mean, it wasn't just one dude, more so the whole group that did it all?

The Social Network
http://en.wikipedia...._Social_Network

The movie from 2010 about the rise of Facebook and its creator Mark Zuckerberg. At the time I refused to see it as I was over the whole social media bandwagon. Every few months there was a new social network, MySpace was crashing, and I wasn't going to bother investing any of my time into a social network that would be redundant before it even took off (Google+). Now that the dust has settled and Facebook is the clear winner of the social networking arms' race, I thought I would check it out. This movie is more an autobiographical film on Zuckerberg, which is quite fascinating. In human history, something like Facebook has never existed, so to see how it began is a thrilling story. Most people know the basic gist of how it began; Zuckerberg, a Harvard student showing great computer programming skills, builds a central network that would link all the fraternity networks together. From there it branched out to nearby universities, and finally to other countries. At the centre of the story is the controversial proprietary legal battle of the ownership of the website. Before the invention of Facebook, Zuckerberg had organised to help other students build a incredibly similar website, where they shared code with him. This is the core plot of the movie, where lots of the questions raised aren't answered, but are left for the viewers to make up their mind. Of course with these types of movies, they're not 100% accurate, and the person at the centre of the movie denies a lot of what is in the movie. From doing research afterwards, most of the movie is factual, especially the timeline and progress of Facebook, it's just that some of the friendships/rivalries are exaggerated for dramatic effect. Overall, a pretty interesting movie I would recommend.

220px-Social_network_film_poster.jpg

Gattaca
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gattaca

A futuristic movie from the 90s that flew under the radar. The movie is based in a future where DNA manipulation has reached a point where everyone is super-humans. Diseases have been manufactured out of human DNA, IQ points are near perfect, and life expectancy can be narrowed down to the day. It's a future where a 'traditionally conceived' human has no place and is shunned. Because everyone is super smart and dedicated to their jobs, humans are now in a robot type trance, paying little attention to their surroundings. Vincent, who was conceived traditionally, has dreams of being an astronaut, but with his DNA being substandard, he'll never progress beyond being the janitor at the space station. This is where the movie becomes a caper film where Vincent takes on the identity of someone with near perfect DNA. Through various ways of tricking the system to thinking he is someone else, he works his way onto the spaceship crew. However the authorities know someone is an imposter and the film becomes a cat and mouse game. What stood out for me is how close they got this depiction of the future back in the 90s to way we are inevitably headed. This is a very unique story with plenty of suspense.

220px-Gataca_Movie_Poster_B.jpg

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
http://en.wikipedia...._Winter_Soldier

The latest instalment in The Avengers franchise now out in cinemas. If there was ever a movie I wanted to avoid, it was this one, as the first Captain America movie was a laughable cartoony mess about Hitler and a dude with a flaming skull. Anyway, I tagged along to this, expecting this worse. Fortunately, this was much better than the first with an actual coherent story which took a turn towards the spy genre. This even had GSP at the beginning of the movie as a villain. Everything up until the last 10 minutes of the movie was well done; with many twists and turns of the story and plenty of action. Then just when you think the story is going to wrap up, scoring a solid B, it has an epileptic fit and undoes all the tight story telling. Obviously this is because these movies have no real endings and need to set up the next movie in the franchise, but it was so in your face like a turkey slap. If you're a fan of these movies, no doubt you'll enjoy it. But for people like me, you'll be spending your time being distracted by glaring plot holes.

220px-Captain_America_The_Winter_Soldier.jpg

Saving Private Ryan
http://en.wikipedia....ng_Private_Ryan

Another movie I never saw when it originally came out. I'm kind of glad I waited until now to see it, as I was 13 at the time and most of it would have gone over my head. This is a powerful movie and I really appreciated it after seeing so many hit and misses of war genre films. Set during WWII, this firstly follows the battle to take a beach in France where hundreds of soldiers are going into battle knowing they are about to be slaughtered, yet knowing it's necessary for the soldiers behind to overwhelm and take the beach. This opening scene holds no punches and is as raw and gory as it gets. The plot then takes a turn where a group of soldiers are assigned a mission to find the remaining alive brother after the other 3 brothers were killed in battle (there was a protocol to immediately send home the sole remaining sibling if all others has been killed). The remaining brother is obviously Ryan, hence the movie title, but his location isn't exactly known. Then men then trek out to find Ryan while navigating the ugly side of war. This movie is very highly rated and I agree with all the reviews, it's a great and powerful movie. The tension between soldiers, the familiarity with death, and the different ways people deal with and justify their actions during war; it's incredibly realistic and relatable. I highly recommend this if you haven't seen it.

220px-Saving_Private_Ryan_poster.jpg

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
http://en.wikipedia...._Man_of_Mystery

A film everyone has heard of and most likely seen. I saw this when it came out, but hadn't seen it since, as I remembered it as a cheesy Mike Myers film. However unlike a lot of Myers' recent work this was a lot better than I was expecting. The movie is a spoof on the 60s/James Bond spy films where all the stereotypes and clichés are exaggerated. Austin Powers, a secret British agent is frozen in the 60s when his nemesis, Dr Evil did so, to reappear in the future. It is now the late 90s and Austin is unfrozen to help stop Dr Evil from destroying the world. Watching this movie after seeing all of the original Bond films let me appreciate all the gags and references a lot more. There are actually a lot of clever and funny jokes going on here and I found myself laughing out loud a lot more than when the film was released. Also, Elizabeth Hurley was smoking in this, damn. If you haven't seen this, I highly recommend it, and if it's been a while, it's a movie you can always jump into as any point and enjoy.

220px-Austin_Powers_International_Man_of_Mystery_theatrical_poster.jpg

2:37
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2:37

An Adelaide made movie I've had on my list for a while. A few years ago I reviewed the movie Elephant by Gus Van Sant. Elephant is sort of a re-enactment of the Columbine shooting where you watch it unfold through the eyes of various students, including the killers. Reading the reviews of Elephant, people were claiming an Adelaide movie maker had stolen the idea and copied the film. Watching this movie, those people are completely wrong; where the only similarities are that this movie is set in a high school and has similar long tracking scenes. In fact I liked this movie more; a lot more. The movie starts off with a student hearing someone collapse behind a locked toilet door. They try to get them to open the door, and soon panic ensues with the other students gathering. As a teacher tries to help, you see blood creeping from under the door. Then the movie rewinds to the start of that school day and you get introduced to students with various issues they are dealing with. So right off the bat you know someone commits suicide, and you're trying to figure out who it is, as every character you're introduced to seem more messed up than the last. What got me about this movie is the realism. The high school setting is exactly as I remember high school with all the typical stereotypes and the way students belittle each other for being different. Even though you know how the movie ends, it's still extremely confronting and shocking when it happens. When this came out in 2006, many people walked out on the ending as it was just too much for some people. This reminded me a lot of Requiem For A Dream where as the credits start rolling, you're kind of just sitting there in a stunned state trying to process what you just experienced. I would probably say this is the best movie I've seen this year.

237poster.jpg

Cocaine Cowboys
http://en.wikipedia....Cocaine_Cowboys

A documentary about the wild west of drug trafficking during the 70s and 80s in Miami. This retells the ins and outs of how the Colombian drug trade came to America and the impact it had on the city of Miami. The first half of the documentary feels like a mission in GTA. A pilot would fly over to Colombia and return with hundreds of kilos of cocaine. He would reroute his path over a local airfield so it looked like he came from Central America. The drugs would go into a broken down car that would be "towed" by a legitimate towing company to drug dealers in Miami who would redistribute the drugs. Back in the 70s the department to investigate drug dealers was severely outnumbered which meant the drug industry thrived. The people interviewed in the documentary were making millions a month. Another interesting statistic is that the Miami police force during the 70s were all either corrupt of wound up dead. The second half of the documentary deals with the crime that accompanied the Colombians drug dealers who made it to America. So many people were being murdered that a double homicide wasn't news worthy. If you're fascinated by the drug trade, you'll enjoy this.

220px-Cocainecowboys_promo_cover.jpg

Pussy Riot: A Punk Prayer
http://en.wikipedia....:_A_Punk_Prayer

A documentary from late last year explaining the intentions and troubles of female activist group Pussy Riot. Basically they are a female group against the oppression of women in Russia. Seeing other documentaries based around the ignorance of Russians, it still amazes me how behind the times Russia is. It's as if they're still living 50 years behind current society. Women are expected to get married, having babies and shut up. If they speak up, there's something wrong with them and need a beating. The idea of protesting in Russia is foreign, which is the battle Pussy Riot is up against. The main problem the members of Pussy Riot have is with the connection of Church and state where Putin can go to church and campaign for his government. They counter this by protesting in the same church Putin visits, but are quickly stopped and arrested. Even though the Pussy Riot members plead their case in court, Russians in general can't understand their point of view and they are charged with religious hatred. As 3 members are sentenced to jail, you get a background on the women. This documentary is good at spreading awareness, but I wouldn't call it a great documentary. It felt a little undercooked as it was released last year as the court proceedings were still being played out. I had to do my own research after the documentary to see what ended up happening to the women.

PyEnHIa.jpg

Comic-Con Episode IV: A Fan's Hope
http://en.wikipedia...._A_Fan%27s_Hope

Another documentary, this time about the phenomenon of Comic-Con. I don't know what I was expecting with this, but this just seemed like a weekend wrap up of the event you could have seen on YouTube. You follow a number of people and see what they enjoy and get out of the yearly event. There are a couple of artists trying to break into the comic illustration industry, a cosplay team, a comic book collector/seller and various other individuals just being fans of the genre. Nothing really jumps out at you as a story or something memorable. I guess this is a film targeted towards fans wanting to relive the event or experience it if they've never been. I thought this was pretty average but I'm sure you'll get more out of it if you're a comic book fan.

220px-ComicConEpisodeIV.jpg

I saw transcendence last night, we really enjoyed it. I thought the AI concept was an interesting and scary one, but towards the end it got really sad - obviously I am not going to spoil it but by the end there were a few tears in the audience or was that just me.

Saw a dvd in the bargain bin at JB yesterday... 'Zombie Strippers'... Had Jemma Jamieson in it apparently. did not purchase.

I saw transcendence last night, we really enjoyed it. I thought the AI concept was an interesting and scary one, but towards the end it got really sad - obviously I am not going to spoil it but by the end there were a few tears in the audience or was that just me.

I quite liked it too... Not as good as I expected, but I am a big Johnny Depp fan.. Full homo.

Death Wish
http://en.wikipedia....Wish_%28film%29

A vigilante film based in New York City where crime was on the rise during the 70s. Where a lot of action/revenge films are based around messing with the wrong person who ultimately kicks everyone's ass, this takes another approach. An everyday man, Paul, has his family fall victim to a burglary which turns violent. The wife dies in hospital and the daughter is traumatised into a vegetable like state. He takes a working holiday where he gets in touch with his more primitive nature in the country. Upon returning to New York City, he goes out at night to dodgy areas, baiting criminals into mugging him. You see a regular person transform into a killer. I was a little surprised by the no holds barred violence shown, but I guess this reflects the frustration the people of New York City had towards the increasing crime rate. At the time this movie was also controversial as the authorities were worried this film would influence copy cat vigilantes. Overall it was ok, but not a forgotten 70s' classic. However it was popular enough to spawn 4 sequels.

220px-Death_wish_movie_poster.jpg

Neighbors
http://en.wikipedia....%282014_film%29

The latest Seth Rogen film about a couple settling down, starting a family, only to be reminded of what they're missing and annoyed by college students who move in next door. I had seen and heard very little about this movie, which I think is a must in this age of movie-ruining-spoiler-filled trailers. I didn't mind the movie and there were genuine laughs. However other people were disappointed with this as they claim all the jokes were already revealed in the trailer. For me, Rogen films are average at best as they all follow a similar story structure with predictable jokes. Rogen doesn't even play a character but his usual mumbling self; which is fine if you like his movies, but this doesn't allow for well developed characters or displaying acting skills. I'm probably being a bit too negative towards this. For people who like these type of stoner comedies, you'll get what you want and enjoy the ride.

220px-Neighbors_%282013%29_Poster.jpg

Fargo
http://en.wikipedia....argo_%28film%29

An early Coen brothers' film I've been meaning to see. All of their other work has been great, so I was expecting an entertaining movie, and I wasn't disappointed. Their movies have a common theme, where the characters are well defined and memorable, and the plot takes random changes in direction. This movie is about a weak minded car salesman, Jerry, who has somehow come into debt, unbeknownst to his family. His plan is to hire some thugs to kidnap his wife and get his wealthy father-in-law to pay the ransom, while skimming money off the top for himself. The kidnapping doesn't go exactly as planned, and now there are police officers piecing together what has happened. I won't say anything else as it will give away too much of the plot. Like other Coen brothers' work, there is a dry comedic feel throughout the movie; be in the characters' appearance, the way they talk, or the relationships with other characters. Even though this is a serious movie with quite a bit of violence, you will chuckle at scenes that shouldn't be funny. I definitely recommend this.

220px-Fargo.jpg

A Complete History of My Sexual Failures
http://en.wikipedia....Sexual_Failures

A documentary I came across that sounded interesting. I don't normally list all the documentaries I watch as many feel made for TV and just aren't worth recommending. I thought this was going to be one of those documentaries, but I couldn't stop laughing, even though the depressing vibe. The point of this documentary is to explore why every girlfriend Chris has had, has dumped him. This isn't that unusual for many guys I bet, but he has a long list of girlfriends, and they all seem to resent him in the same way. Straight away it became obvious to me why. He's a man with no real drive in life; simply floating through, getting a free ride off everyone else. He is a musician and I guess girls see something in that, and feel they can change him, but ultimately they admit their defeat. However as the film goes on, there are many awkward moments that make you laugh and think 'hang on, this can't be real'. Reading reviews after, it looks like many people feel the same and suspect Chris isn't as dumb as he portrayed himself, even calling this a mockumentary. I don't think it's fake, but some scenes do seem re-enacted for comedic value. I think most people will find this interesting and funny.

220px-Complete_history_of_my_sexual_failures.jpg

Deathwish.. classic.

Bronson da man... Pretty graphic in parts for its time too I thought.

Who hasn't thought about what they'd do as revenge is someone messed with your family?

The Limey
The Limey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A late 90s' crime/mystery film based around an ex-con from England trying to find his daughter's killer in LA. The story is told in a disjointed way with a mixture of flashbacks and even flashing slightly forward into the future. This gives you the feeling the main character must feel, as he's in an unknown country looking for people he doesn't know yet. Overall the story is interesting and there are enough twists in the plot to keep you guessing. This movie had a tiny budget, so it does feel like a B-movie at some points. Worth checking out if you like crime films.

220px-Limeyposter.jpg

Godzilla
Godzilla (2014 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The latest chapter in the Godzilla franchise. This is a reboot that doesn't link to any past films, but tries to tell a similar story to the original 50s' films. It takes the military nuclear testing angle, but goes in a slightly different direction. This is going to be hard to talk about without spoiling bits of the movie, so I recommend not reading the rest of this if you haven't seen it yet. The plot is based on the Japanese government reviving a prehistoric creature for no sound reason. The movie says it's due to cleaning up nuclear radiation, but come on. Unknowingly they awaken these creatures and Godzilla from their hibernation. They then proceed to fight each other for reasons that go unexplained; cities are destroyed as the result, throw in a a human couple separated that you care nothing about, and then Godzilla ends up the hero after a random nap in the centre of San Francisco. After the movie finished I didn't think it was that bad; probably better than average. This is because the movie starts out quite well; the story is explained, the Godzilla creature seems plausible, and there are some great dramatic scenes. But early into the movie a main character is killed off unexpectedly, making me suspect that something went wrong during production and they had to rewrite the film. After this pivotal point in the film, it turns into a generic superhero/Transformers style movies where it's all action and no substance. It takes forever for Godzilla to finally make it onto the screen, and when he does, the movie flashes forward to the aftermath. The movie should have been called 'MUTOs featuring Godzilla' as the other creatures are more central to the movie. And did anyone else notice Godzilla is severely overweight, especially compared to past films. Is he on a new American corn syrup diet? Reflecting on this movie now that I've had time to think about it is getting me mad. I was looking forward to this and they blew up.

220px-Godzilla_%282014%29_poster.jpg

Stripes
Stripes (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A comedy war film (yes, they exist) starting Bill Murray and Harold Ramis as half of the Ghostbusters' team. Bill Murray's career was in full swing after such hits as Meatballs and Caddyshack, so they gave him the lead role in this playing a misfit army recruit during basic training. After hitting rock bottom by losing his job, girlfriend and apartment in the same day, partly due to his own dissatisfaction with what his life has become, he talks his friend into joining the army with him. There, they meet a few memorable characters and cause chaos for the Sergeant. At its root it's a comedy, but bits of it become half serious, so you're not sure if you're meant to find certain scenes funny. This tried to be what the Police Academy films did much better a few years later. It's a bit of a throw away movie you could put on a Sunday afternoon in the background.

220px-Stripesposter.jpg