• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I've been reading that older people can benefit from a protein supplement as we age our body cannot utilize it well enough.

my father in law is now 80 and very active, he's noticing a loss in muscle.

my question to you all (the ones that have done their homework) which powder is the best and most palatable and easy on the tummy?
*minimal fillers
*easy to mix
*no caffiene
*chocolate

i just just want a good quality Protien Ta

Most oldies get recommended Sustagen... But a regular BN WPI/WPC would probably work out cheaper. WPI will be easiest to digest

Yep. I concur. BN WPI. I dont like chocolate but they do have a couple of choccy flavours plus a bunch of others. I'm more of a banana man (no ghay).

Over the last few years Dave Palumbo, on his podcast, has talked a lot about his father who is in his 80's. Sounds like he's go a bit of Alzheimer's. Anyway, he pushes his dad to take his WPI as older folks tend to have no appetite. A glass of choccy stuff, or whatever flavour you like, goes down easier than a meal.

Also, just so you know, light weight training (stuff he could do at home) has huge benefits for oldies, just like youngies.

Don't discount the Sustagen too quickly, but the BN stuff should be cheaper

Maybe I am but from what I understand the price is too high for what it is.
his real problem is (and he is country folk) he thinks milk is too over priced, so they buy the skim long life.
he doesn't like the taste so won't drink much if any.
ignorant really.

i feel he maybe better served buying full fat milk that he likes the taste of and whacking a spoon of malt and a couple of milo.
in fact I am heading this way as I feel this is just as nutritious as anything else.

thoughts please.

Yep. I concur. BN WPI. I dont like chocolate but they do have a couple of choccy flavours plus a bunch of others. I'm more of a banana man (no ghay).

Over the last few years Dave Palumbo, on his podcast, has talked a lot about his father who is in his 80's. Sounds like he's go a bit of Alzheimer's. Anyway, he pushes his dad to take his WPI as older folks tend to have no appetite. A glass of choccy stuff, or whatever flavour you like, goes down easier than a meal.

Also, just so you know, light weight training (stuff he could do at home) has huge benefits for oldies, just like youngies.

He has been exercising all his life with both sport and weights, body weight exercises are serving him well.
he also has various sized bags full of lead shot.

i feel his issues recently are similar to the germans approaching Russia their getting closer But running out of reserves, I think it's a case of less is more for him, but he is stubborn

Best bang for your buck with no fuss, Optimum Nutrition whey. Relatively cheap, can buy it anywhere, a million flavours, mostly WPI, mixes very easily and digests fine. Extreme Milk Chocolate is the flavour if you want a "chocolate milk" taste. They also do a Double Rich Chocolate which isn't as sweet.

image_24157_original_X_450_white.jpg

Why not?

Does he have an issue keeping solids down?

Sherk, i think he could do well to add more "easy to consume" form of Protien I don't believe eating more meat (at his age) is a good idea, his capacity to eat has become less, it happens to all of us.

He likes milk but does not drink due to the fact that he hates the idea of paying for full fat quality fresh milk.

i think he could benefit a lot from drinking a glass or two of milk a day.

fuck me, I'm running out of ways to present this lol.

Fairies nuts.

When my ole man was sick and lost heaps of weight I bought him a mass gainer. He drank 2-3 half servings a day for several weeks and gained lost weight and was feeling great.
Just thought I'd throw that in.

The problem is that older folk lose their appetite. They eat but much less than normal. I used to live with an old lady that would get meals on wheels but barely ate half. And by that I mean only one meal every second day. They just can't handle eating solid food, kind of like when you are stuffed after a big meal and someone cracks out yet another huge dish of something. You might taste it but thats about it.

So a WPI is an easy way to go.

As far as
Optimum Nutrition whey. Relatively cheap
goes, it's cheap because it's crap. It's not WPI, it's a blend. You don't want your older folk drinking WPC.

The problem is that older folk lose their appetite. They eat but much less than normal. I used to live with an old lady that would get meals on wheels but barely ate half. And by that I mean only one meal every second day. They just can't handle eating solid food, kind of like when you are stuffed after a big meal and someone cracks out yet another huge dish of something. You might taste it but thats about it.

So a WPI is an easy way to go.

As far as goes, it's cheap because it's crap. It's not WPI, it's a blend. You don't want your older folk drinking WPC.

So, what's an option?