• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Would it really be 1000kg given such a short acceration time/distance, if you are using the 9.8m/s as the acceration due to gravity. I haven't done physics for fucking ages...I could be missing something...lol

Kicking the rust off the brain cells but you won't use the acceleration of gravity you use the acceleration you put on the bar. Acceleration is change in velocity over time. Velocity starts at zero on the floor.
Velocity = distance / time

Say you pull it 1m high in .1 of a second assuming accelation is even which it won't really be, a = 1/.1 = 10

So f = 100 x 10
= 1000.

But I doubt we can power clean a bar to 1m high in 0.1 of a second.

Geez I'm having a nerd out here.

Also don't quote me on this its been too long since I did this stuff.

Last edited:
Both, hit them hard, heavy and all the time. When I'm at full steam back work makes up nearly 50% of my training.

OK cool. I was planning on matching pressing and chin-ups in a 1:1 ratio. So say I do 10x2 bench, I will do 20 reps of chin-ups. I'll also add something else which leads me to....

Here is a little secret.
For the purpose of working out which exercise is going to target a particular muscle effectively, efficiently then you would need to place the muscle into a fully stretched position then into a fully contracted posisition for the exercise to be truely beneficial, so for the lat; it attaches to the spine, wraps around the rib cage and inserts under the arm.

So for the lat to fully stretched, your elbow is roughly in front of you face, fully contracted, the elbow should be just past the torso.

Find an exercise that mimics that movement and you've found a very food exercise for that muscle.

Pullovers!!?

Last edited:
Would it really be 1000kg given such a short acceration time/distance, if you are using the 9.8m/s as the acceration due to gravity. I haven't done physics for fucking ages...I could be missing something...lol

There could be more to it Dicko, I remember reading tests measuring force the engineers were using a "force plate", this was done in the 80's, but what I am trying to convey is that the element of force created be momentum and "impact" in an exercise template will eventually cause problems maybe not straight away.

Actually, I think that example was a 100kg man jumping off a stadium, the force measured 1000kg, lol.

There could be more to it Dicko, I remember reading tests measuring force the engineers were using a "force plate", this was done in the 80's, but what I am trying to convey is that the element of force created be momentum and "impact" in an exercise template will eventually cause problems maybe not straight away.

Actually, I think that example was a 100kg man jumping off a stadium, the force measured 1000kg, lol.

The sports doc I'm going to for my knees always tells me the force going through the knees is roughly 5 x BW when sprinting and 10 x BW jumping.

Man imagine how fast you could run in knee wraps if you had strong enough hamstrings to flex the knee

The day when you can crack walnuts with your buttocks is the day that you will be the fastest sprinter on earth.

Kicking the rust off the brain cells but you won't use the acceleration of gravity you use the acceleration you put on the bar. Acceleration is change in velocity over time. Velocity starts at zero on the floor.
Velocity = distance / time

Say you pull it 1m high in .1 of a second assuming accelation is even which it won't really be, a = 1/.1 = 10

So f = 100 x 10
= 1000.

But I doubt we can power clean a bar to 1m high in 0.1 of a second.

Geez I'm having a nerd out here.

Also don't quote me on this its been too long since I did this stuff.

Hey bazza you are on the right track but... Since I'm a nerd...

The golden rule for accelerating / de-accelerating you have right - if you want to move a weight over some distance in a shorter amount of time you got to move it faster. To do this, if it's starting from rest, you have to apply proportionally more force to accelerate it to that higher speed. The same goes for de-acceleration (stopping something suddenly, like a car, is a good example - if you run into a lot of bushes, your car stops in 0.5 seconds, if you hit a telephone pole, maybe 0.0005 seconds).

If you're pulling a bar 1m high in .1 of a second the average velocity is 10m/s
Assuming a linear change in velocity that means it goes from 0m/s to 20m/s over 0.1 seconds.
So acceleration would be 200m/s/s
And yeah force would be 200m/s/s x weight = 20,000 Newtons for 100kg (roughly 2000kg of force).

Also, in response to the statement that force is a lot less when running on your toes to the flat of your feet, yes you're right, as you're deaccelerating your mass over a larger distance - as your ankle turning adds distance(and hence takes a slightly longer time). Again, like a crash zone in cars, or the suspension travel on your car. If your ankles were totally rigid the force would be the same (but the pressure on the tip of your foot more... but pressure is another discussion).

Yeah you can all shoot me now.

Yep makes sense, I knew i would stuff some part of it up. Too long since I did that stuff and memory was a bit hazy.

Also, opinions on lowering the weight fast on bench - good or bad for strength development? Dangerous?

Hey bazza you are on the right track but... Since I'm a nerd...

The golden rule for accelerating / de-accelerating you have right - if you want to move a weight over some distance in a shorter amount of time you got to move it faster. To do this, if it's starting from rest, you have to apply proportionally more force to accelerate it to that higher speed. The same goes for de-acceleration (stopping something suddenly, like a car, is a good example - if you run into a lot of bushes, your car stops in 0.5 seconds, if you hit a telephone pole, maybe 0.0005 seconds).

If you're pulling a bar 1m high in .1 of a second the average velocity is 10m/s
Assuming a linear change in velocity that means it goes from 0m/s to 20m/s over 0.1 seconds.
So acceleration would be 200m/s/s
And yeah force would be 200m/s/s x weight = 20,000 Newtons for 100kg (roughly 2000kg of force).

Also, in response to the statement that force is a lot less when running on your toes to the flat of your feet, yes you're right, as you're deaccelerating your mass over a larger distance - as your ankle turning adds distance(and hence takes a slightly longer time). Again, like a crash zone in cars, or the suspension travel on your car. If your ankles were totally rigid the force would be the same (but the pressure on the tip of your foot more... but pressure is another discussion).

Yeah you can all shoot me now.

Because I am an even bigger nerd I just want to be a picky bitch and point out there is no such term "deceleration" only positive and negative acceleration (different directions).

Fun over.

Or we can go into torque at the ankle joint whilst running and then use inverse dynamics to calculate internal forces throughout the joints in the foot.

Also, opinions on lowering the weight fast on bench - good or bad for strength development? Dangerous?

Dangerous if control is not kept. Without control joint integrity will most likely be lost which can lead to an acute injury or even a chronic overuse injury. The loss of control can also throw out the proper mechanics of the lift and reduce efficiency and therefore strength output.

Because I am an even bigger nerd I just want to be a picky bitch and point out there is no such term "deceleration" only positive and negative acceleration (different directions).

Fun over.

Or we can go into torque at the ankle joint whilst running and then use inverse dynamics to calculate internal forces throughout the joints in the foot.

de·cel·er·ate (d-sl-rt)
v. de·cel·er·at·ed, de·cel·er·at·ing, de·cel·er·ates
v.tr.
1. To decrease the velocity of.
2. To slow down the rate of advancement of

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe

Why would one ask such a question?

We could jump off the back of the MCG, but we know it probably wouldn't do any good, wouldn't help our strength, might even kill you.

To make a pure a healthy and strong body different exercise are given below!!!
1. Push ups
2. Swimming
3. curling
4.Chest training