• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
not ruined , just have to copy and paste the link now

6a00d83453dc2969e2017ee97da352970d-800wi

Why do those weightlifters stay at such a high bodyfat %? There must be a reason?

Don't read into this I'm not judging / criticising, just wondering why.

Why do those weightlifters stay at such a high bodyfat %? There must be a reason?

It's easier to keep more muscle at a higher bodyfat. Plus just being big as helps a lot of events.

Weightlifting is a sport (the stuff you see at the Olympics), so they're not 'weightlifters' as such (I don't mean to sound like a dick). But as has been said, the higher bf can help with events and holding more muscle. I'm sure someone will point to Pudzianowski and say he won WSM 5 times while staying lean, but WSM is more of a made for TV event rather than a brutal strength event like the Arnold. Not to say it's not possible, Poundstone has won the Arnold.

Plus, some guys don't give a shit about looking pretty.

I thought low bfat helped with testosterone is all. And high bf created estrogen. I thought leaner would be better based on that.

Yeah their test would be quite high anyway holding onto 150kg to 200kg bodyweight depending on competitor. Estrogen could be taken care of if it does get high. I'm sure their docs or themselves would be onto it.