• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

spartacus

I am currently trying to get my squat up, but my low weights reflect how weak I am when trying Olympic squat style.

I tried some powerlifting squats a few days ago, and hate the feeling when compared to Olympic style, although I struggle to get to parallel with Olympic style.

this article helps explain why people can struggle with depth with regard to Olympic style squats, but that a full squat for each person is really as far as one can go.

https://www.catalystathletics.com/article/20/The-Olympic-Weightlifting-Squat/

my best ever Olympic style squat, with good upright form that did not disintegrate with use of lower back, was 172.5kg when 90kg. I did get 6 reps on 182kg once with very poor form that used a lot of back on way up.

I will be rapped to get back to 1.5 times bodyweight.

so at the end of the day, yes I could get more weight lifted if I chose a low bar powerlifting squat, but I would prefer to get m Olympic style squat up. I feel it has better transfer to my track and field pursuits and feels a lot more comfortable as a movement.

Is increasing bw an option?
That’ll make you stronger. 20% cal surplus.

Last edited:
I think shrek was suggesting that weight moves weight so getting heavier may help. But not sure it will be good for track and field. I too tend to squat with the bar high in my traps/neck so would also love to know the secret to a big squat... following

They've pretty much proven that being heavier helps with lifting heavy weights. Like you said, being heavier is good for weights but will suck for track and field. Nowadays i squat with the bar as low on my back as possible in order to take the pressure off the neck, and i use wide stance(about 80-100cm gap between toes) going as deep as possible.

I think shrek was suggesting that weight moves weight so getting heavier may help. But not sure it will be good for track and field. I too tend to squat with the bar high in my traps/neck so would also love to know the secret to a big squat... following

yes, I have no problem with weight gain equation. that is always critical to muscle gain.

my point was that I would rather squat high bar Olympic style with less weight, than do low bar squat with heavier weight.

squat a lot.when i first started squatting i did the smolovs squat cycle.the whole thing.your squat will definately go up but the final section of it is the hardest training ive ever done.its probably the hardest thing ive ever done full stop.ive failed it as well due to setting my max too high and missing reps as well as getting tension headaches from it.i remember i used to fill up the bath with cold water and dunk my head in it to get rid of the pressure after every set.

Last edited:
last time i did smolov 3 week phase i did 165 4x9 on monday. 172.5 5x7 on tuesday 180x7x5 thursday and 185x3x10 friday the final week.i did smolovs bench too.

need to get the bar as low as you possibly can to get it close to your hips and shorten the lever without losing the arch in your lower back.you are better off low bar.you wont lose athleticism.use wrist wraps and chalk on your heaviest sets.wrist wraps really do help.

Last edited:
yes, essential for powerlifting if you want more kgs on total. i have neve been able to work them out.

but if you want to strengthen thighs and lift safely, i feel high bar is better.

yes, essential for powerlifting if you want more kgs on total. i have neve been able to work them out.

but if you want to strengthen thighs and lift safely, i feel high bar is better.

i dont think you will get hurt if you low bar.to me deadlifting is the more courageous movement,if you can deadlift ok then low bar will be ok.accessory work to strengthen your squat is key too.front squats good mornings etc.

I don’t have the leverages to be an outstandingly good squatter do not allow me to deep squat but because of my leverages the high bar position built me a very strong low back purely for the reason that my low back had to move at a great degree, I could never squat to full depth, my main focus for the squat originally was to build leg strength but all it did was cause knee soreness over a protracted period of 10 years I focused on 15 to 20 rep’s 5x5 with a goal to squat 20 with one and a half times body weight, while it never really did what I wanted it to do, but what it did for me was greatly improve my metabolic strength to a great degree.

i really believe that if one can squat to full depth then that is all on needs for the lower body.

so gerry, what do you estimate would be the difference between your maximum high bar and low bar squat, even if you compare by a set of reps? 10-20%?