• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
This weeks topic: Cardio
· What do you do for cardio?
· How much cardio do you do in dieting, gaining, and maintenance phases?
· If you don't do any cardio, why not?
· How do you measure your cardio?
· What do you do to make cardio fun?

today I did walking, skipping and running.

I mix it up, but do so 5 times a week, around 20-30 minutes. all year round.

During winter where it's cold and dark most days, and everyone has their bulking suits on, I'll just do a 20 minute HIIT session on the bike or elliptical once a week. I'll usually do this on a low taxing day like arm or shoulder day. If I do feel my belt getting a little tight, I might do this twice a week.

Once the weather is nice, I'll go hiking on the weekend and not touch the cardio equipment in the gym.

Do cardio of you want to improve cardio. Eat less of you want to lose weight.
That's kind of how I'm rolling at the moment.
6+ months of not doing any high paced work leaves me gasping for air after 2 minutes of physical activity now. So doing cardio to get the lungs and ticker working better and diet to lose the winter chubb

I hate doing cardio for the sake of doing cardio. It has to be in the form of sports so I enjoy it. Luckily even though none of my mates lift, they are still active in other ways (squash, cricket, bike rides, hikes) so I tag along and count that as 'cardio'.

I do cardio so I can eat more.
Same. I enjoy cardio more than I enjoy hunger, so it's my preferred means of creating a deficit. Plus, when people say: "You can't out-train a bad diet," not so deep down, part of me wants to say: "Watch me."

When I'm at the uni gym, I like to get on the cross-trainer and just go for an absurd amount of time. On Mondays I have three hours between lectures, so after my strength training I'll happily get on the cross-trainer and basically go into a semi-trance for a while. Kills time, is good for the CV system, intensity's at a therapeutic level, and it nukes energy, which means easier fat loss when needed or more food when wanted.

I generally prefer to do cardio right at the upper end of low intensity. Find a nice comfortable pace where I'm still breathing through my nose. Cross-trainer says I burn about 750kcal/hr doing that. IIRC their numbers are based on 70kg males doing it, so for me that's pretty darn close. Assuming a BMR of 1,700kcal/day (which is right about the predictions given here), I'd burn about 70kcal/hr at rest, so that's still about 680kcal/hr, normally in an hour that would have otherwise been spent trawling facebook anyway. At that intensity, I find it doesn't impact my strength training, either. On the flip side, if I do cardio that mostly uses anaerobic systems, it will very quickly eat into lower body work.