• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
What tolls did injuries take on you (physical and psychological) and how did you recover?

What tolls did injuries take on you (physical and psychological) and how did you recover?
It's not so much injury as it is age and the effect it has on fast twitch muscle fibers. As one ages, the fast twitch (that's the white strength/explosive type of fibers) begin to deplete (get smaller/weaker). I've experienced this first hand back in 2010 at the age of 45 when I attempted a come back into Olympic weightlifting as a Master competitor. Most often than not, the muscle parts most affected by this decline in fast twitch muscle fiber depletion are the quads and hamstrings (and perhaps the glutes as well). You only need to take one close look at the Master Olympia competitor Mr. Kevin Levrone's legs to know what I'm talking about from a muscle hypertrophy point of view (attempted with the aid of anabolic steroids) yet still very hard and stubborn to budge or respond as when they were young and full of fire.

From a psychological point of view, the feeling would be much more subtle if noticed at all, if one did not train at some high level when at a younger age. However for an athlete who's travelled the road of competitive sport, this (at times) does hit hard from an emotional point of view. However we move on and we do the best we can with what we have, simply because that's all we can do (and an inner voice screams out loud, "must continue to do !").

Last edited:
Injury to my inner chest i was benching alot n i heard a crack in my sternum. ( had magic oil in me ) . Couldn't breathe just rubbed tiger balm but hurts still when it gets cold .

Injury to elbows due to close grip french tricep extension with z bar. Elbows would hurt badly, and glucosamine rectified this. I dont do these exercises anymore, unless its wide grip. Lower back injuries from deadlifts ( too heavy, when i was younger) had to change my body positioning an incorrect way but it was right for me no more injuries.

Squatting not equally moving the weight up and more one sided. Massage / tiger balm, Lots of water and stretching helped. As with lower back injuries, Stretching like yoga movements that a masseus showed me as she was a chiro before.

Psychological injuries occur all the time, if i dont lift i feel very guilty, feel small , angry and after awhile a push is what i need to start working out again , thanks to some guys on here im back on a beginner regime.
motivational video's helped and old photo's motivated but mostly a push from people to say give it a go .

Fortunately, nothing serious. A few minor tears (right quad, right hamstring, right lat), some painful joints caused by muscle imbalances or tightness (no actual joint injuries), SI joint, lower back tweaks and so many half naked wimminz wantin' sum 'o dat dere Viking. Almost got suffocated once by panties flying onto the platform. Some of them even came from females.

Best solution to my issues have been ART massage, stretching (cures knee pain almost instantly), oust/chiro and backing off or resting completely from training.

Nothing is better than prevention, using perfect form and lots of foam rolling, stretching and massage. Theracane is great for that too.

Last edited:
Knees and ankles always ache
Back hurts in the morning
Half my top row of teeth are numb
Fingers point in all directions
Migraines from neck injury.
Nerve pain in quad.

Edit
Also forgot. Left shoulder separated and hangs lower than the other.

Kind of sounds bad but it's not that bad.

Last edited:
Knees and ankles always ache
Back hurts in the morning
Half my top row of teeth are numb
Fingers point in all directions
Migraines from neck injury.
Nerve pain in quad.

Kind of sounds bad but it's not that bad.

Did not realise you were a crossfitter.

Sure, maybe there's an element of fashionability to it for a lot of people, but at least it's gotten a lot of people doing some physical exercise.

This is what intrigues me.

dudes confuse exercise with all forms of sport.
confuse training with workouts

they thing powerlifting is a form of exercise, or workout.

Crossfit began as a form or series of exercise within a workout, designed to make the athlete less injury prone, fitter and stronger for their nominated sport, to improve one metabolic condition, it was great, it introduced millions to the barbell, then crossfit went all sport.

Yeah, but is no exercise is better than dangerous exercise?

All exercise has a risk, like anything, any activity.

just today I saw a young bloke doing pulldowns, swinging away, what too much weight, moving about 3 inches, did about 4 sets of 6

i could of told him too slow down, reduce the weight,move all the way up and down slow and controlled and do one set.