• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
They are gym lifts. Never claimed anything more.

Just for everyone else here. According to jerry. If you didn't lift it in a comp you actually lifted zero.

Its ok to pretend you are in a comp, I won't judge.

What are you actually doing in your shed Barry?
Are you training for power lifting, strong man or an attempt to get injured?

Last edited:
Just for the record, If I recall correctly, Bazza was roughly as strong as me when it came to deadlifts and I also have a max of 285 in the gym (so doesn't count) and 280kg twice in comp.
I did a "relatively easy" 380kg rack pull strapless once so I'd say 400kg is believable. Yes, I have a video...no I won't go find it.
Oh and the bar (Force USA) is bent as buggery from it. :D

Need some guidance brothers, my OHP has gone from being one of my more advanced lifts in the early days of my lifting to stagnating so badly I haven't added any weight to the bar in 5 years and it's sorely lagging behind.

I think part of my problem could be my form so I'm looking to potentially restructure my technique a little bit. I found this guide from Mark Rippetoe looking for any other guides or advice you lads might have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnBmiBqp-AI

Thats pretty much your answer right there mate. Can you do it 3 times in 2 weeks?
And id use a different rep range every time.
Higher reps first go. Say 7-10
Low reps second time. Say 2-4
Medium the third time. Say 5-8
So you could something like:
3x9 @ 60-65%
5x3 @ 80%-85%
4x6 @ 70-75%

Tim.

You can't get better at something if you don't do it. Pressing needs frequency.

Just pick a rep range and go for it.

Do it a minimum 3 times a week.

Thats pretty much your answer right there mate. Can you do it 3 times in 2 weeks?
And id use a different rep range every time.
Higher reps first go. Say 7-10
Low reps second time. Say 2-4
Medium the third time. Say 5-8
So you could something like:
3x9 @ 60-65%
5x3 @ 80%-85%
4x6 @ 70-75%

Tim.

With that kind of heavy frequency I'm assuming the rest of the pressing girdle (pecs and tris) would have to take a bit of a back seat to accommodate the high workload?

With that kind of heavy frequency I'm assuming the rest of the pressing girdle (pecs and tris) would have to take a bit of a back seat to accommodate the high workload?
Well its not all heavy. Day 1 is much lighter.
Being overhead press, id use small jumps in weight too.
2.5kg for week 2. 1.5kg thereafter possible.
And yep, id back off some work (but not all) from the triceps and shoulders.

It should work a treat. Ive been using basically the same principles for my lifts for ages. Also for my online guys. With some pretty solid results.

What Bazza says is true. Wanna press more? Press more. But do it intelligently.
You could start with what i suggested above with the goal of moving all 3 sessions into 1 week. This is my preferred setup for a lagging lift. But becausw you press only once per 11 days, i suggested a modest increase in frequency to begin with. First two weeks id want 3 sessions. Next two weeks, you might do 4 (so day 1 happens in that second week obviously). Then 5. Then 6.

When it gets too hard and progress stalls, deload, bring the weights back a few weeks and ramp up again.

Tim.