• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
With that kind of heavy frequency I'm assuming the rest of the pressing girdle (pecs and tris) would have to take a bit of a back seat to accommodate the high workload?

He said 3 times in 2 weeks. That's not heavy frequency. You can easily press every day. Your girdle will be fine.

He said 3 times in 2 weeks. That's not heavy frequency. You can easily press every day. Your girdle will be fine.
My question was more along the lines of it not being advisable to be smashing out 3RM sets on bench press, dips or CG bench while you're focusing on increasing OHP numbers.

Continue to to exercise the chest and triceps but allow them to take a back seat so to speak.

I think what I'll do from now is have every push day as a OHP focus operating in the different rep ranges tim suggested and throw in some alternating accessories for shoulders, chest and triceps as required. That will mean I'll be pressing twice a week

I won't focus on adding additional weight (unless its glaringly required) until I'm eating maintenance calories again this will allow my body to adapt to the increased frequency from now until then.

My question was more along the lines of it not being advisable to be smashing out 3RM sets on bench press, dips or CG bench while you're focusing on increasing OHP numbers.

Continue to to exercise the chest and triceps but allow them to take a back seat so to speak.

I think what I'll do from now is have every push day as a OHP focus operating in the different rep ranges tim suggested and throw in some alternating accessories for shoulders, chest and triceps as required. That will mean I'll be pressing twice a week

I won't focus on adding additional weight (unless its glaringly required) until I'm eating maintenance calories again this will allow my body to adapt to the increased frequency from now until then.

Maybe the case for a very advanced lifters lifting huge weights but otherwise smash away. There is no reason to go easy on other lifts.

Along the same lines unless you're very advanced you should be able to get stronger on a calorie deficit.

Personally I don't like the constantly alternating rep ranges. It's a great way to spin your wheels but go for it if that's what you like.

Need to up my Squat numbers too, might follow a similar high frequency alternating rep range routine as well.

Maybe the case for a very advanced lifters lifting huge weights but otherwise smash away. There is no reason to go easy on other lifts.

Along the same lines unless you're very advanced you should be able to get stronger on a calorie deficit.

Personally I don't like the constantly alternating rep ranges. It's a great way to spin your wheels but go for it if that's what you like.
Lol. Its actually a great way to progress a little quicker if you take the time to search around a little for guys like layne norton and more specifically mike zordous.

But i digress. Many ways to skin a cat.

Will work for any lift simo. As long as there is progression in volume and intensity over time.

Tim.

Lol. Its actually a great way to progress a little quicker if you take the time to search around a little for guys like layne norton and more specifically mike zordous.

Will work for any lift simo. As long as there is progression in volume and intensity over time.

Tim.
Out of interest mate did you watch this video?

Does the Rippetoe execution/form look solid to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnBmiBqp-AI

Tim.

I did say personally. Haha.

Yeah I have no doubt it works for some but I've seen it fail for more people than it works for.

For me I just need more time in the gym. I like to keep it simple. More weight or more reps than last time. I can't be bothered waiting for a full cycle of rep ranges to see where I'm at.

Rippeltits loves making basic lifts seem really complicated, I think he has like 70 pages in his book showing you how to squat.

It's an overhead press. Grab the bar at roughly shoulder width and press overhead. If things feel a bit sore or not 100% right start off lighter and allow everything to adjust to it.

I did say personally. Haha.

Yeah I have no doubt it works for some but I've seen it fail for more people than it works for.

For me I just need more time in the gym. I like to keep it simple. More weight or more reps than last time. I can't be bothered waiting for a full cycle of rep ranges to see where I'm at.
Many ways to do it mate. For sure.

Most i see it fail with either started to heavy, didnt see it through for long enough, or just didnt try hard enough.

I should add approaches like this are all about the long term. No quick fix.

Tim.

Yer figured that, thanks for building me up this early in the morning. Just the pep talk I needed. I have caught cold of my kids and feel like shite but I have OH press tonight to now i will try to to make it so sucky !!!

Some solid numbers posted, were is everyones videos? 14 pages of arguments and I see no videos, I got 87.5kg at 87.5kg bodyweight last year after a press cycle, prob good for around 80ish now, ill have a crack this arvo or tomorrow,

all lifts listed in opening post are supported by videos. we have seen them.

some people are just waiting to shock the world.

LPS is planning on coming in big on 52kg at 118kg bodyweight.

Yeah not sure where the vids went (Probably deleted mine) but all the ones in the OP have been verified

100% disagree with Mark Rippetoe on this particular subject. He's instructing the lifter to use a lot of body movement, he says; "we're going to use a horizontal hip movement with locked knees, to generate a little bounce out of the bottom." This goes against everything I've been taught as a former Olympic weightlifter. The question one needs to ask is this: are we solely interested in moving the bar overhead, or is our aim to mainly work our shoulder muscles? I know very well how to get the weight up overhead in the most efficient way possible, and it has zero to do with shoulders, and everything to do with glutes and quad strength and power. If your aim is to solely work your shoulder muscles, then it's critical that you eliminate all body movements. Why is that? Because this exercise is called the press, and not the push-press, or the power-jerk, or anything that has a "drive" connected with it. By "drive", I'm referring to the thrust you generate via the usage of other bodily muscles other than your shoulders, with the purpose of making the exercise easier on the shoulders.

So what is my recommendation for anyone interested in placing maximum focus on his shoulders' muscles, where the shoulders, with their true strength, are the generators of force that would ultimately see the bar above your head? The only body part/s I should be able to observe moving whilst you're in the process of pressing (and not driving) the bar above your head, are your shoulders and arms.

Get your feet into a modified jerk position, that is to say, feet apart with one leading the other. I say "modified" because the spacing (or distance) between your feet ought to be half (or even less) of that of a proper weightlifting jerk feet stance. Also, your back foot needs to be anchored, and by that I mean heel fully in contact with the ground (unlike when jerking a weight above head with the heel of your back foot being off the ground). A slight bend in both knees is also recommended.

Placing yourself in that position, helps to transform your body from the waist up into one whole unit, with your hips; lower back, and abdominal wall working as one grounded/solid anchor. Nothing moves here except your arms and shoulders. There's no pushing (not even in the slightest), and there's certainly no driving of the weight off of your shoulder area.

That's a pure and true shoulder press, with more stress on your shoulders and less on your lower back.

Edit: The sport of Olympic weightlifting made the right decision when it removed this particular pressing movement (as described by Mark) from the Olympic weightlifting competition lifts, leaving the current two, namely the snatch and the clean and jerk. Why the removal? Huge stress placed on the lifter's lower back region, causing all sorts of problems.

Last edited:
100% disagree with Mark Rippetoe on this particular subject. He's instructing the lifter to use a lot of body movement, he says; "we're going to use a horizontal hip movement with locked knees, to generate a little bounce out of the bottom." This goes against everything I've been taught as a former Olympic weightlifter. The question one needs to ask is this: are we solely interested in moving the bar overhead, or is our aim to mainly work our shoulder muscles? I know very well how to get the weight up overhead in the most efficient way possible, and it has zero to do with shoulders, and everything to do with glutes and quad strength and power. If your aim is to solely work your shoulder muscles, then it's critical that you eliminate all body movements. Why is that? Because this exercise is called the press, and not the push-press, or the power-jerk, or anything that has a "drive" connected with it. By "drive", I'm referring to the thrust you generate via the usage of other bodily muscles other than your shoulders, with the purpose of making the exercise easier on the shoulders.

So what is my recommendation for anyone interested in placing maximum focus on his shoulders' muscles, where the shoulders, with their true strength, are the generators of force that would ultimately see the bar above your head? The only body part/s I should be able to observe moving whilst you're in the process of pressing (and not driving) the bar above your head, are your shoulders and arms.

Get your feet into a modified jerk position, that is to say, feet apart with one leading the other. I say "modified" because the spacing (or distance) between your feet ought to be half (or even less) of that of a proper weightlifting jerk feet stance. Also, your back foot needs to be anchored, and by that I mean heel fully in contact with the ground (unlike when jerking a weight above head with the heel of your back foot being off the ground). A slight bend in both knees is also recommended.

Placing yourself in that position, helps to transform your body from the waist up into one whole unit, with your hips; lower back, and abdominal wall working as one grounded/solid anchor. Nothing moves here except your arms and shoulders. There's no pushing (not even in the slightest), and there's certainly no driving of the weight off of your shoulder area.

That's a pure and true shoulder press, with more stress on your shoulders and less on your lower back.

Edit: The sport of Olympic weightlifting made the right decision when it removed this particular pressing movement (as described by Mark) from the Olympic weightlifting competition lifts, leaving the current two, namely the snatch and the clean and jerk. Why the removal? Huge stress placed on the lifter's lower back region, causing all sorts of problems.
Agree completely, great write up. Thanks mate