• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
weightlifters ruined this event by cheating to the point they got rid of it.

alexeev's wr 235kg press was basically a push press when you slow it down.

Yeah I heard that there really wasn't many injuries at all. It was the difficulty in judging it that caused it to be banned.

klokov is awesome, i wish we had such a comp here.

clean and press is so much more impressive than these ugly looking bench presses.

Agree Spart. 100%.

And yeah i also beleive it was removed almost completely because of difficulty judging.

Tim.

There is a challenge in there.

How many have pushed press or jerked it? Have to be a couple? They would be my odds on favourites to do it first.

Canned tuna could get there and soon if he made it a priority. ;)

Tim.

I could ugly power clean and push press it today. Have done 127.5 push press.

Military press it by the end of the year is a chance from the rack but clean and press 100 would be tough.

Bit of analysis on Klokov's power clean and press, and what you can take from it, as there is one very significant point to learn from this in my opinion.

First the numbers:

I'd say Klokov weighs around the 110kg easy here, as weightifters always train about 5kg over their competitive bodyweight, so...

Bodyweight: 110kg
Best Clean & Jerk: 230kg
Power Clean & press: 162kg
162kg = 147% x bodyweight, so find your own bodyweight and multiply it by 147% to compare (for curiosity's sake).
162kg = 70% of max clean & jerk.

If I was to compare myself when I was weightlifting, the numbers would go as follows:

Bodyweight: 73kg
Best Clean & Jerk: 160kg
Power Clean = 140kg (have never done a power clean then a press when I was weightlifting).
Best seated press: 90kg
90kg = 123% x bodyweight

Today if I could power clean my own bodyweight then press it overhead, I'd be pleased with that effort. Now to the little "secret" that you can take from Klokov's video.

We all know the difference between a power clean and a clean. The clean is a totally different beast, one that demands extreme power and strength combined to execute most efficiently. Because the weight is much lighter in the power clean, the stress on the legs is negligible, allowing the lifter to remain 100% fresh and able. But there's more to it than that if your aim is to press overhead right after your power clean. It's actually (and this is my opinion based on my experience) easier to press a weight post a power clean than to simply walk up to a loaded bar on a rack and military press it overhead.

How does that work? I mean how can it be easier when intuitively you'd think otherwise based on the effort it took the lifter to power clean the weight up to his shoulders in the first place right? On the surface yes it makes sense that you should be able to press more from a bar off the rack, but if we delve just below the surface, we find a whole different game at play here. Again, this is my opinion based on my won lifting experience.

When the bar was power cleaned, it took your whole nervous system to bring everything together in an instant of explosive power, a symphony of ONE relying on ensuring maximum muscle recruitment at will. Now that we know what just took place underneath the surface, what do you think happened to all these nerve endings that (just one second ago), were firing like crazy? Would you say it's more than likely they all went back to sleep, or would it be more plausible to say that these firing squad is still standing to attention, ever so ready for another beckoning call from you? I'd say it's the latter, and that beckoning call form you comes almost as soon as you steady yourself, before pressing over your head what you just power cleaned.

If nothing, your adrenaline hormone would still be bathing every cell within your muscle fibers, ever so ready to continue igniting yet another fire somewhere else, and in this case, that somewhere else is your second part of the movement that is the pressing overhead. Your brain sees this as one continuous movement, because that's what you have told it your intention would be even before you power cleaned the weight, so nothing, not a thing within you would be back to normal until the whole job is completed.

Last edited:
really, prove that it is easier to clean and press.

i disagree with you based on my experience, although i do always find it easy to power clean any weight i intend to press.

i really cant stand know all comments that state a supposed reality for all. why dont you just say you find it easy. but no, we are put though another grand fadi theorythat speaks for all lifters.

really, prove that it is easier to clean and press.

i disagree with you based on my experience, although i do always find it easy to power clean any weight i intend to press.

i really cant stand know all comments that state a supposed reality for all. why dont you just say you find it easy. but no, we are put though another grand fadi theorythat speaks for all lifters.

Thanks for that contribution. I didn't say anything about "clean and press", but rather power clean and press. In any event, you're very welcome to disagree with everything I write. But don't dictate to me what I should write and/or how I ought to express my opinion. I hope that's clear.

Thank you.

Last edited: