• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excess fructose should be avoided in a carb refeed. Lyle McDonald recommends max 50g (but that is being fully glycogen depleted) and eating WELL above maintenance.

I think it would be different with CBL being that most people will only have one or two low carb days in a row (and as they are non training days) it is unlikely that you will be overly depleted and actually need the mass amount of carbs for replenishment.

Give you some numbers here. Last week UD2 style refeed for me was a bit over 1000g in a day. CBL doesn't give specific targets but I can tell you now that if I did that every training day, I would be a super fat ass in no time haha.

And I guess you know this because you have studied nutrition for decades like he has and because you have conducted and read countless studies on the subject and wrote several books refuting his claims.:rolleyes:

No mick instead of reading one drop kick author read what the majority of scientists are saying but let me guess their is some conspiracy.

Fructose is metabolised and processed differently to glucose in the liver.
there is some solid evidence that avoiding excessive fructose is a good idea, whether it's for CBL or otherwise.

inb4 I get attacked for "what the hell would I know"

well I know more than I'd like to know about fructose unfortunately :p

No mick instead of reading one drop kick author read what the majority of scientists are saying but let me guess their is some conspiracy.

Drop kick Autor??? Bazza you really make me laugh at times arguing that black is white and green is red, would love to see some research papers from your scientists that you have read that suggest High fructose Corn Syrup should be part of ANY diet at all.

Everything in CBL and Carb Nite is based on actual scientific research and results of about 40000 scientific studies and research papers conducted over 15 years, not just made up crap, all the studies are linked and referenced throughout the book if you want to read up on them, but obviously your head is firmly wedged in the sand hoping things will just go away and you probably read some obscure study that suggests Maccas, Pizza and pop tarts are designed for maximum sporting performance.

May be open your eyes and look at what actual research shows, and what is getting results out there.

And please I would love to see the scientific study conducted by a reputable scientist that shows the benefits of consuming High Fructose Corn Syrup, I will be reading it with great interest:rolleyes:

Excuse me for listening to people that do this for a living and quite successfully I might add and that have dedicated their entire life's to studying nutrition and sports science and human biology and that have the runs on the board with results. If you read CBL you would have seen the 48 full pages of references to scientific studies that you can read up on yes 48 pages of actual references to scientific studies and nutrition research done by nutrition scientists.

QUOTE:

John Kiefer is a highly sought after training and nutrition consultant. To guide his work, he has read over 40,000 medical research papers covering various facets of human biology. His extensive knowledge of human nutrition and performance is tempered by 15 years of experience applying,
observing and refining his methodology.

Kiefer holds two B.A.s from Otterbein College and a Master’s of Science from the University of Florida. He published his first diet book for radical fat loss, The Carb Nite® Solution, in 2005.

He is currently an advisor to Muscle&Fitness and Men’s Fitness magazines and his clientele includes world-record powerlifters, internationally ranked fitness competitors, CEOs and recreational athletes who want super-human results without the super-human torture.

Last edited:
I like John Kiefer and wouldn't rat on a fellow physicist (lol) but he is not immune from occasionally cherry picking study results that will support what he is selling.
[MENTION=7082]jzpowahz[/MENTION]; can back me up on this.

There is nothing magical about CBL as there is nothing magical about IF.
Much of the science is really about refinements at the < 5% level.
ie won't make a jot of difference to outcomes for the majority of people.

From my own experience, I find the biggest bonus with having most of one's carbs at night (I followed CBL for a few months) is a better night's sleep and less stomach bloat and fatigue the next day. That won't apply to some people but does to others.
I found it a great way to increase my carbs overall as part of a reverse dieting approach (at least for a while).

We don't need to worry too much about HFCS as it is not used much at all here in Australia. If you consume a lot of American imported stuff you might need to watch it, and/or if you have diabetes or pre diabetes or are insulin resistant etc.

PS that marshmallow stuff is just crap. ewwwww

I like John Kiefer and wouldn't rat on a fellow physicist (lol) but he is not immune from occasionally cherry picking study results that will support what he is selling.
[MENTION=7082]jzpowahz[/MENTION]; can back me up on this.

There is nothing magical about CBL as there is nothing magical about IF.
Much of the science is really about refinements at the < 5% level.
ie won't make a jot of difference to outcomes for the majority of people.

From my own experience, I find the biggest bonus with having most of one's carbs at night (I followed CBL for a few months) is a better night's sleep and less stomach bloat and fatigue the next day. That won't apply to some people but does to others.
I found it a great way to increase my carbs overall as part of a reverse dieting approach (at least for a while).

We don't need to worry too much about HFCS as it is not used much at all here in Australia. If you consume a lot of American imported stuff you might need to watch it, and/or if you have diabetes or pre diabetes or are insulin resistant etc.

PS that marshmallow stuff is just crap. ewwwww

I have never followed his diet, but I have read both books and found them interesting and educational, and might one day follow the diet and see where it takes me.

Like you mentioned HFCS is used extensively in the US and we do not really use it here in Australia, apart from imported stuff like pop tarts, fluff, imported sweets, drinks, chocolate, syrup, topping etc from the US is full of HFCS.

Personally I do not eat any of that stuff mentioned as I do not like it anyway, most of it tastes like arse IMO, I prefer a nice meal of meat, veggies and salad any day..

Last edited:

I have no such qualms.

If you try CBL or whatever and it works for you, then great. Good for you, go and run with it.

But the book is rubbish. It's crap. A lot of people read books like this and make noises along the lines of "oohh, look at all those references, this must be reliable". Trouble is, the referencing in the book is horrible. A lot of the papers references don't actually support the statement in the book they are associated with. Many references are used multiple times. And some statements that should be references are not.

Don't be fooled. Just because someone puts a name and a date next to something doesn't mean it is trustworthy. I went through this book and at first liked it and actually wanted more information on certain aspects, so I looked up the references and found the above personally. And note that this is different to the cherry picking of info that has already been mentioned.

And reading 40,000 medical papers? Bollocks. I'll believe that when I see the list and lit review of them all that he writes.

[MENTION=11624]Riddles[/MENTION]; it's done by him and others ... they have a product to sell and they will use (abuse!) science to do it.

I don't like it when people abuse science either. It's maddening and I get personally and professionally offended by it (as a scientist myself).

But these books are not aimed at those of us who will cast a critical eye over the references and points made in the book.

Remember that many people are looking for that magic bullet solution.

Although, I still appreciate the idea of having most of my carbs at night .. for someone with a carb related food intolerance, it actually helped me increase my carbs and perform better. Unintended consequence from Kiefer's perspective but my sole aim for doing it as I was running out of options.

Like I said, no magic bullets.
Just time, hard work and consistency as we all seem to agree on here in the forum :)

denunuqe.jpg

carnivore breaky at cafe
20130922_112935.jpg

strawberry/banana thickshake with oreos
20130921_215213.jpg

lamb chops and veggies
20130921_200610.jpg

snags, baked pumpkin and peanut oil baked zucchini
20130922_193658.jpg

cheesey omelette
20130923_110552.jpg

mexican roo mince and lots of rice underneath
20130923_200703.jpg

bS9s1OI.jpg

Tuna dipped in seasame seeds, then pan fry on HIGH for 2 mins each side. let sit then eat.

was best tuna ive ever had!

biggest tuna I've ever seen :p

chinese 5 spice & peanut oil baked chicken and veg
20130925_131902.jpg

chinese 5 spice omelette (was liking that today!)
20130925_094056.jpg

sesame/peanut chicken and 1.5kg of carisma low carb potatoes (38P/135C/12F)
20130925_201658.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.