• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Ahh yeah, having some issues uploading.
I'll have to have another read of the forum post regarding 'image uploading'

Thanks not sure if I can delete the post

My latest edition.

260a26adbc642a3efd012f557bb58003.jpg

This gym here is a bit wonky, but I don't have to drive or walk anywhere so I make a habit of training first thing in the morning, every morning, no weekdays or weekends here.

In my garage.
I'll take a wide view snap later. I'm maxed out though, can't fit anymore equipment, even if I wanted too.

New farmer's walk handles for the gym.

In my gym, we run the Starting Strength novice linear progression for noobs. This, as commonly done, has a couple of problems.

The first issue is shoulders. From what I've observed lots of SS coaches and their clients end up with shoulder problems. A friend who's worked with cricket players said they found when they could do a bench pull of bodyweight, they were much less likely to injure their shoulders. In other words, pulling strength affects shoulder health.

Now, vanilla SS does have chinups, but like the powercleans these are often forgotten. So the first change has been to return to those basics, and actually do chinups - or barbell rows if the person is too overweight or old for this to be a realistic prospect.

The second issue is that everyone gets aches and pains doing novice linear progression; aches and pains are fine, it's when they become actual muscle strains, tendonitis and the like that I worry about it. Partly this is just the body going "WTF? you want me to actually do shit now?" but what I noticed was that the injuries are always in piddling little stabiliser muscles like the quadratus lumborum, never in the big moving muscles like quadriceps. So our working theory is that the big muscles adapt more quickly to training than the small ones; when you think of blood supply and so on, this makes sense.

A less aggressive progression in the first months has really reduced the number of minor issues popping up, but some still do. So I got the farmer's walk handles for the gym - if nothing else, doing these sorts of movements teaches awareness. You get scrawny young guys and say, "squeeze your lower back muscles" and nothing happens - a bodyweight farmer's walk should wake 'em up.

Attachments

• IMG_20170923_141659001.jpg
    IMG_20170923_141659001.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 53
Another helper for shoulder health are simple pull up bar hangs. Just grab on and hang there at full stretch for as long as you can.

Yes. I also like Dan John's idea: hang for thirty seconds, do a pullup, hang for thirty seconds, do a pullup... how many pullups you can do now really tells you something. I did... one.

Yes. I also like Dan John's idea: hang for thirty seconds, do a pullup, hang for thirty seconds, do a pullup... how many pullups you can do now really tells you something. I did... one.
What failed, the grip or the pull?

Sent from my R7sf using Tapatalk

My man cave coming along nicely. Plates should arrive next week. I have a row/lat machine to put together. Not sure where to put it yet.

Main challenge was to level the garage floor. I bought some pine framing timber and cut it diagonally. That was pretty close. In retrospect I should have made double the number of wedges/beams and doubled the number of noggins joining it all together.

Attachments

• IMG_2066.jpg
    IMG_2066.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2069.jpg
    IMG_2069.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2073.jpg
    IMG_2073.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2076.jpg
    IMG_2076.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2084.jpg
    IMG_2084.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 48
This is pretty much up to date. I need to tidy it up and give it a good clean. I have to finish the plate racks and make a barbell rack. Future DIY additions will be a landmine plate, deadlift bands plates to slip under the platform if I do band work, a chalk bowl (I have all the bits, just need to weld it together), a pullup bar, a trap bar, and a calf raise block. I will buy a kettlebell (28kg), a curl bar down the track. I have a rope and double D handles coming for the lat machine. I'll post a pic or two once it's in working order.

Attachments

• IMG_2090.jpg
    IMG_2090.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2091.jpg
    IMG_2091.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2093.jpg
    IMG_2093.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2094.jpg
    IMG_2094.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 46
What failed, the grip or the pull?
The pull. I've never really had a grip problem, my biggest deadlift - 222.5 in January - was meant to be a triple, my grip failed on the third so I only got a double. That was double-overhand, no straps of course, just a Pendlay bar and chalk.

On the wait-pullup challenge, I think most people's grip would fail first.

The pull. I've never really had a grip problem, my biggest deadlift - 222.5 in January - was meant to be a triple, my grip failed on the third so I only got a double. That was double-overhand, no straps of course, just a Pendlay bar and chalk.

On the wait-pullup challenge, I think most people's grip would fail first.
I'm pretty sure my grip would fail well before the second pull. Thirty seconds is a long time.

Sent from my R7sf using Tapatalk