• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

showdownhero

beast mode
Staff member
So unlike my pathetic previous attempt at a nutrition blog I intend to amaze you all with my extraordinary keto diet that is going to see me win the 2017 ausbb transformation award :)

Starting off with Tuesday

Training:
03/01 Rest Day

Nutrition:

Breakfast

Bullet Proof Coffee

C-----C-----F-----P
252----0----28----0

Lunch

Chicken Breast with roast vegetables

C-----C-----F-----P
393---29----7----49

Dinner

116g Cashews
150g Roast Ham
Chicken Salad with goats cheese
3 fish oil caps
5g Creatine

C-----C-----F-----P
1418-48----86----113

Total

C-----C-----F-----P
2063-77----121--162

Training:
4th January Cardio Workout

368 calories burnt

2km treadmil run 10:35 (pace 5:17 p/km)
4km low intensity bike

really happy with my run, haven't been able to push out a 2 km run with that type of intensity for a long time

Nutrition:

Breakfast

Bullet Proof Coffee and 3 Fish Oil Caps

C-----C-----F-----P
279----0----31----0

Lunch

Roast Pork and Roast Carrots

C-----C-----F-----P
393---19----19----43

Dinner

250g halloumi
150g roast ham
naked burrito with guac
5g Creatine

C-----C-----F-----P
2054-18----151--158

Total

C-----C-----F-----P
2726-37----201--201

Training:
5th January Light Weight/High Rep Legs Workout 88.8kg

Squats 80kg 8,7,6
Mixed Grip Deadlift 100kg 8,8,8
Leg Press 150kg 6,6,6
Barbell Good Mornings 20kg 15,12,12
Barbell Lunge 20kg 5,5,5

Nutrition:

Pre-Workout

myprotein beta alanine 4g
myprotein aakg 4g
myprotein creatine 5g

C-----C-----F-----P
47----0----0----12

Breakfast

C-----C-----F-----P
279----0----31----0

Lunch

Chicken Breast, Mayonnaise and Zucchini

C-----C-----F-----P
371---7----19----43

Dinner

Naked Burritto and a bottle of red wine (girl friend was having leaving drinks, she starts a new job on Monday)

also 58g of cashews

C-----C-----F-----P
2032-48----111--90

Total

C-----C-----F-----P
2729-55----161--145

Training:
06/01 Rest Day

Nutrition:

Breakfast

C-----C-----F-----P
279---0----31----0

Lunch

Bacon Steak with 2 Boiled Eggs

C-----C-----F-----P
392---1----26----39

Dinner

116g Cashews
Half Roast Chicken
Green Beans with goats cheese
5g Creatine

C-----C-----F-----P
1712-38----117--127

Total

C-----C-----F-----P
2383-39----174--166

How long have you been lifting for and are you coming back from a long layoff?
started properly lifting in 2008 but have been very hot and cold with my commitment

since moving to the UK in June 2015 it took me a long time to get settled and find a gym, I went through a good training patch from November 15 to February 16 before I work commitments began taking up too much of my time.

Started properly training again at the start of September and have been very consistent up to know. I've found a decent gym that's easy to get to before or after work so the routine is a lot easier.

Training:
7th January Cardio Workout

302 calories burnt
31:55 duration

4km bike in 8:45 at level 7 intensity (out of 30)
1km row in 4:30 at level 5 intensity (out of 10)

Some other random stuff

Nutrition:

Breakfast

C-----C-----F-----P
279---0----31----0

Lunch

Burger Pizza (Meatza)
Fried Halloumi

C-----C-----F-----P
2063-20----144--126

Dinner

250g Porterhouse Steak and Salad
5g myprotein Creatine

C-----C-----F-----P
545---33----19----71

Total

C-----C-----F-----P
2887-53----194--197

Training:
8th January Heavy Weight/Low Rep Pull Workout 87.9kg

Wide Grip Weighted Pullups +30kg 5,3,3
Mixed Grip Barbell Rows 100kg 6,5,5
Mixed Grip Barbell Shrug 140kg 6,6,6
Neutral Grip Chin Ups 8,6,6
EZ Bar Bicep Curl 37.5kg 6,4,4
Dumbbell Row 50kg each 5,4,4

My first heavy workout since returning to keto diet. Fucking punishing

Nutrition:

Pre-Workout

USP Labs Jack3d 2 scoops
5g myprotein Creatine

C-----C-----F-----P
80----3----0----16

Intra-workout

3.5g Beta Alanine
3.5g AAKG

C----C----F----P
23----0----0----6

Breakfast

C-----C-----F-----P
287----0----33----0

Lunch

Crispy Squid and Scallop Salad
Roast Duck with Asian Salad

C-----C-----F-----P
1210--54----65----89

Dinner

Naked Burrito
58g Cashew Nuts
Lindt 85% Dark Choc and Peanut Butter

C-----C-----F-----P
1619-34----132--74

Total

C-----C-----F-----P
3215-91----228--186

Carbs a little on the high side and calories high as well. Happy to have some high calorie days early in this cut though.

Intersted in this, how do you prepare your coffee?? Do you buy the overpriced BP coffee that's mouth picked by naked Himalayan virgins?? Or do you just use normal coffee??

I did this a little while ago and found it good, stopped all hunger cravings and had me feeling alert.

I used Nescafe Green coffee, and grass fed butter as well as MCT oil bought from BN.

I did this a little while ago and found it good, but I saw that you take pre workouts etc before your BP coffee, wouldn't that negate the benefits of the BP coffee somewhat??

I only used to have the BP coffee as late as possible, ie I used to hold out till I was actually really hungry and then have it.

Then have one meal for dinner, it really clears your mind, and frees you from eating all day long.

Your feed back on this would be appreciated rather than just logging what you have, may be add how you are feeling, if you are hungry, any results or problems.

I was actually going to kick this off again in 2017.....

What is the theory behind these BP coffees? How does it increase mental clarity etc?

Last edited:
Is there something supposedly magical about combining a small amount of caffeine with some fat?

Not sure about magical.

Stops hunger, boosts metabolism, stops insulin spikes, stabelises blood sugar level, assists in weight loss, kick starts keto, clears the mind are some of the claimed benefits, I can personally confirm some of them are correct.

If you want to learn more, just google Bullet Proof Coffee, and you will have all the answers, personally I don't believe that you need the special overpriced coffee and other products they try and sell you to get most of the benefits.

Not sure about magical.

Stops hunger, boosts metabolism, stops insulin spikes, stabelises blood sugar level, assists in weight loss, kick starts keto, clears the mind are some of the claimed benefits, I can personally confirm some of them are correct.

If you want to learn more, just google Bullet Proof Coffee, and you will have all the answers, personally I don't believe that you need the special overpriced coffee and other products they try and sell you to get most of the benefits.

Just the special grass fed butter :D

Intersted in this, how do you prepare your coffee?? Do you buy the overpriced BP coffee that's mouth picked by naked Himalayan virgins?? Or do you just use normal coffee??
just normal coffee, kerrygold butter and coconut oil (which is 50%MCT oil anyway), asprey is a conman
I did this a little while ago and found it good, stopped all hunger cravings and had me feeling alert.

I used Nescafe Green coffee, and grass fed butter as well as MCT oil bought from BN.

I did this a little while ago and found it good, but I saw that you take pre workouts etc before your BP coffee, wouldn't that negate the benefits of the BP coffee somewhat??
definitely negates it somewhat as the aminos/preworkout does induce a slight insulinogenic response which kicks you out of the fasted state

in an ideal world I would be training in the afternoon to prevent this issue but I have found there's still a lot of practical benefits to structuring my workouts and BP coffee in this way
I only used to have the BP coffee as late as possible, ie I used to hold out till I was actually really hungry and then have it.

Then have one meal for dinner, it really clears your mind, and frees you from eating all day long.

Your feed back on this would be appreciated rather than just logging what you have, may be add how you are feeling, if you are hungry, any results or problems.

I was actually going to kick this off again in 2017.....
I took 2.5 months off BP coffee from mid october to now and I can't believe how much better I feel now that I'm back on it. I feel a lot better when I'm fasting for large portions of the day and as you say not feeling compelled to eat so regularly.

This sounds a bit weird but I also find I always require less sleep when I'm fasting. There some studies out there to suggest digesting food is very taxing on the body and that's what causes it. Could be fully fledged psuedo science but I can certainly vouch for it personally.
What is the theory behind these BP coffees? How does it increase mental clarity etc?
Nah nothing magical :)

Having a BP coffee breakfast really helps me adhere to a calorie controlled diet and helps me get back into "fat adapted" mode if I have a few carbs for lunch/dinner the day prior. Stops me from suffering from keto flu type symptoms too

Training:
9th January Pectorial Dominant Push Workout 87.2kg

Barbell Bench Press 100kg 4,3,3
Incline Barbell Bench Press 80kg 7,5,3
EZ Bar Skull Crushers 37.5kg 4,3,3
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 14kg each 8,5,5
Dumbbell Pec Fly 18kg each 6,5,5
Dumbbell Bench Press 34kg each 5,4,4

Nutrition:

Pre-Workout

myprotein beta alanine 4g
myprotein aakg 4g
myprotein creatine 5g

C-----C-----F-----P
47----0----0----12

Breakfast

C-----C-----F-----P
279----0----31----0

Lunch

Poached Eggs, Smashed Avocado, Halloumi and Chorizo (on a slice of toast :eek:)
4d52750f3c01e1ba99d78585910694b7.jpg

C-----C-----F-----P
822---28----59----50

Dinner

Fried Halloumi
Burger Pizza
2 Carrots
525cef5180399edd270c98442165ba12.jpg

C-----C-----F-----P
1788-17----137--121

Total

C-----C-----F-----P
2936-45----227--183

Last edited:
Training:
10/01 Rest Day

Nutrition:

Breakfast

C-----C-----F-----P
279---0----31----0

Lunch

Chicken Breast, Broccoli and 2 boiled eggs

C-----C-----F-----P
463---10----16----72

Dinner

116g Cashews
Bolognese with Carrot Spaghetti and Cheddar
Dark Choc and Peanut Butter

C-----C-----F-----P
1992-72----149--87

Total

C-----C-----F-----P
2734-82----196--159

I did this a little while ago andfound it good, but I saw that you take pre workouts etc before your BP coffee,wouldn't that negate the benefits of the BP coffee somewhat??
definitely negates itsomewhat as the aminos/preworkout does induce a slight insulinogenic responsewhich kicks you out of the fasted state

I don't see any harm (or negation for that matter) with the pre workout amino acids, as (I'm presuming) that we're talking about the BCAA with Leucine being the master player here. I say that because I saw the mentioning of an insulinogenic response brought about by non other than leucine. An insulinogenic response is quite alright as it is not synonymous with a high rise in blood sugar level, but rather has a lowering effect on blood sugar levels (due to that stimulatory effect on insulin), the #1 driver of nutrients into our cells.

The coffee is going to have an effect on insulin, and that effect is going to be opposite in nature to that of leucine. In other words, coffee is going to make one insulin resistance (please don't panic as it's only temporary) and it's actually a positive effect of coffee when you look at it in context. Coffee's main target is your fat cells, the liberation of fatty acids from your fat cells to be used for energy..., no one would complain here. To manage this task successfully, coffee would need to have an effect on insulin, and that effect is to make your cells resistant to insulin (whilst it's busy breaking down your fat cells). Otherwise, what you would have instead, is a cell that is receptive (make that sensitive) to insulin's presence, causing a shut down in the liberation of fatty acids from your fat cells (or rather the release of triglycerides from within your muscles first and foremost).

Even though the amino acid leucine does have a tremendously high stimulatory effect on insulin release, it does not make you fat nor (I dare say), stand in the way of allowing the caffeine in coffee to do its job in stimulating both your CNS, as well as the break down of fatty acids for the use of energy.

Why knowing the above is important? Because there are times (when a bodybuilder is cutting for example), and needs the positive effects of insulin without the consumption of carbohydrates..., that's where (say) whey protein comes in, or some amino acids with leucine being the main player. So it's high insulin minus the high level of blood sugar, that would go to maintain your muscles and not cause any fat gain (due to very low carb consumption and in turn low blood sugar levels).