• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Max, is it normal for some people to have to eat a lot more than others to gain weight?
Yeah it can be mate :)

Depending on the individuals LBM, activity levels, hormonal functions/levels etc calorie intakes will vary from one person to the next.

Interesting read through the thread. So from what I've gathered, you could eat once a day and meet your caloric requirements for the day and still have the same results from eating 6 times a day (because eating 6 times a day doesn't increase the metabolic rate of an individual)? A question regarding the macro break downs, if say for example I'm required to have 2200cal to bulk, my what macro breakdowns should I be aiming for? Obviously it is still important to incorporate a 50% split for protein?

What if an individual who both have the exact same calorie intake but one has a higher carb intake and lower protein intake, what will result in that (in your opinion/views)?

Interesting read through the thread. So from what I've gathered, you could eat once a day and meet your caloric requirements for the day and still have the same results from eating 6 times a day (because eating 6 times a day doesn't increase the metabolic rate of an individual)? A question regarding the macro break downs, if say for example I'm required to have 2200cal to bulk, my what macro breakdowns should I be aiming for? Obviously it is still important to incorporate a 50% split for protein?

What if an individual who both have the exact same calorie intake but one has a higher carb intake and lower protein intake, what will result in that (in your opinion/views)?
One meal - Is there a limit to how much protein the body can use in a single meal? | Wannabebig

Basically once you know your calorie requirements for your goal, meeting minimum macros is next on the list. Protein MINIMUM 2g/kg and Fats 0.8g/kg. Depending on training volumes and performance requirements/standards etc will essentially determine what the rest of your calories should be make up of. Body composition in slightly different marco breakdowns (assuming minimums are being met) will be negligible. But it is all individual :)

Another question too, obviously we need to go into calorie excess in order to put on size. So you say by going over the calorie limits, you will get fat. However, if we want to put on muscle mass (opposed to fat) do we adjust our macros accordingly? More protein over other macros? Obviously we can't just put on muscle without a little bit of fat (if going over our calorie limits), but by adjusting our macro's we can maximise the amount of muscle we can build whilst minimising fat? Am I correct?

why wouldnt you be eating more protein anyway why would you ever be lowering it?

That being said you need the stimulis to be right for the right outcome inregards to diet..

Consuming more of protein will not mean more muscle unfortunately. The more of any macronutreint you consume will lead to more oxidation of that same nutrient :) See - Nutrient Intake, Nutrient Storage and Nutrient Oxidation | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald As Christian mentioned, and like I'd previously outlined, you should be consuming at least the minimum amount REQUIRED.

Yes being in a calorie surplus will cause some fat gain. That is just part and parcel of it. But to limit the amount of fat gain over the long term, the key is being in an appropriate calorie surplus. Instead of being in a 500-600 calorie surplus, you could simply be in a 200-250 calorie surplus. Fat gains will be much less over the long term but training and physical adaptations will still occur at the same/similar levels.

Again it all comes down to the individual.

Last edited:
why wouldnt you be eating more protein anyway why would you ever be lowering it?

That being said you need the stimulis to be right for the right outcome inregards to diet..

Yeah, I know. I would never lower my protein, it would be the last thing I'd lower. I was only making a point for Max regarding the different macro breakdowns and the resulting effects. Yeah definitely agree.

You could lower it if you are already in excess of minimum requirements ie. currently taking 4g/kg BW so 320g for an 80kg dude. If you actually only require 160g then you could lower the protein and increase other macros. So you can eat some bread/ice cream instead of just chicken and veggies :p

You could lower it if you are already in excess of minimum requirements ie. currently taking 4g/kg BW so 320g for an 80kg dude. If you actually only require 160g then you could lower the protein and increase other macros. So you can eat some bread/ice cream instead of just chicken and veggies :p
Hail IIFYM :D

yeah, was surprised actually. Came up on my fb page & recent ones had been about muscle building super foods etc.

Question: I may have missed it but speed of digestion of fat. Regarding hitting minimum fat & protein targets per day. You said that the amount above what can be digested for protein would be a surplus for the following day basically. Does this hold true for fats as well?

e.g. Minimum target is 60g/day. One day consume 90g, next day consume 30g. All good?

(I suppose different types of fats would digest at different rates also?)

Question: I may have missed it but speed of digestion of fat. Regarding hitting minimum fat & protein targets per day. You said that the amount above what can be digested for protein would be a surplus for the following day basically. Does this hold true for fats as well?

e.g. Minimum target is 60g/day. One day consume 90g, next day consume 30g. All good?

(I suppose different types of fats would digest at different rates also?)
Yeah it will be all good and yes it basically holds true for all macronutients and micronutrients.

It is the long term calorie and macronutrient intake that effects body composition. At the end of the week, that 90g one day and 30g the next still averaged 60g.

A 'daily' requirement etc is just simply for the benefits of tracking and calculating requirements etc. I guess because people do things by 'days' it is just what the 'normal' schedule is.

I don't exactly what the rates of fat digestion is, but I'd suspect that it will be similar to protein that there is not much variance between fat types (other than MCT, which digest much faster than most fat, nearly like a carbohydrate) But overall they are typically quite slow. Carbohydrates are the 'fastest' macronutrient to digest.

Sweet, that is what I thought. So unless my fat intake is 100% from coconut oil, it should be all good :p

hahaha, I'd not like to be your toilet bowl if it was 100% from coconut oil.

That is why some people when they first use coconut oil, it 'runs' straight through them :D

Hey Kev,

Just wondering what your take is on sodium intake? I personally don't take too much notice of it as I figure I'm well hydrated and get adequate potassium intake & train hard. (no family history of heart disease either)

I've read that people training hard require higher amounts than others.

And then I read about all the water retention effects for people dieting.

I seem to average about 3500mg a day.

Thanks

Chris

Sodium intake is another myth.

Depending on your sodium intake your body will regulate the amount of water it retains after about 2 days. So for 2 days you may be 'holding' a little more water if you have gone from a 'low' intake and increased it. But if that increased is maintained it will be readjusted and in 2 days time your 'watery' look is gone back to normal.

So yes I pay no attention to my sodium intake and I actually make a point of adding it to meals.

As long as your potassium intake is sufficient and there is no underlying or current issues, sodium intake is nothing to worry about.

People who are training and dieting especially need to ensure adequate sodium is being consumed for energy production. The whole water retention thing can also be applied to this situation also.

Lyle and Alan have also discussed sodium -

Salt Causes High Blood Pressure - The Truth Behind 5 Food Myths

Contest Dieting Part 1 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

Bodybuilding Precontest Competition Tips

FYI, Chris that was very prim and proper post :p